forum

Do you have to use an MP3 file when making a mania map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Protochi
Hello, I want to make a map for "Goin' under" by negaren, but the mp3 doesn't sound that good, and as most of the map is going to be based off of the drums, having the drum sounds be not as good just feels wrong, is it possible to use a better audio format such as FLAC, WAV, or ALAC?

I haven't been able to find any information on this, so any answers are greatly appreciated!

-Protochi
Nao Tomori
you should use ogg or 192 kbps mp3 - just take the flac and convert it to 192 kbps mp3 using lame encoder (audacity)
DeletedUser_5153421
Oh, I don't think .wav is a better audio format technically, it uses much a higher bitrate than mp3 with not much of an auditory difference, because mp3 can optimize their files a lot better. Kind of why I wish it could be used for hitsounding, but not sure how that would effect the game. For .flac, I've heard for hitsounding it would be nice if it was used instead to reduce file size. Know nothing about .alac.
Ajisai-
Because lossless audio codecs like FLAC are heavier in size than lossy ones, .mp3 and .ogg files are used in osu! to save space and you'll likely have a lot of songs in your library. Even if FLAC is used in the game, it would still sound the same as 320kbps mp3 without actual audiophile gear and trained ears.

so far that's what i understand. so yeah, if you have actual FLAC file of the song, just convert it to 192kbps mp3 or ogg as mentioned