forum

Poll 10: Do you delete map elements?

posted
Total Posts

Do you delete map elements?

I delete everything on _every_ map (SB/Background/Skin).
11.44%
I delete elements on a regular basis.
10.70%
I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.
47.97%
I play the maps as they were made.
29.89%
Total votes: 271
Polling ended
show more
Shockwave
After playing, I restore them.
XPJ38
I delete almost every skin, as I can only play with my skin (the default one without 300). But I keep the storyboards, especially if they are well-made.
Sushi
I rarely delete things (ok I'm rarely playing), but generally, I delete skins that are kinda "lol" and completely different from mine.

I generally leave the SBs unless it is REALLY, but REALLY problematic.

Some maps where the SB makes the map live won't be deleted (like StrangeProgram for example :p )
Rukario
I only take stuff out of the song folder when I am playing in a tournament. And even then I am moving everything back aftersaid tournament.
So yeah never removing anything.
mekadon_old

Firo Prochainezo wrote:

I hardly never delete elements, but if they are distracting I remove them or just play another map.
^
dNextGen

if the BG or SB is too annoying or white flash askljdalsbdjkadbajd ill delete it

but ill always delete the skin elements in the map

since i cant play well with other skins except the one i used to play
xsrsbsns
No deleting, but I move elements into a new folder when I experience lag.
There were only 2 or 3 times I did that solely because of eye sore.
maay
yes, whenever they worsen the gameplay of a map and I feel like getting a decent score on it

edit: skins apart, of course. Playing with a different skin is almost like using a different mouse which I'm not used to, so I delete about every custom skin I get from maps...
akrolsmir
I've often thought about deleting elements when hitobjects start blending into the background- especially when both are very bright- but never actually done it. Not so much out of consideration for the feelings of people who created the map as out of laziness. If there was an option to override the forced skin I'd use it, sometimes.
Wuiss
Yes, if i don't like the skin or storyboard is quite annoying.

No other reasons :/
MDuh
I play the maps as they were made..

I deal with annoying songs, especially K-on skins where it will lag/distract too much..
Minor Lag/Distractions are parts of a game.. its a challenge for me I guess? :P
NatsumeRin

if i can't play well with them i'll choose to play another map.
Galkan
I have never deleted any element of any map even if they annoyed me, because I respect mapper's work.
Wishy
Personally I have deleted every hitx from my songs folder. When playing maps for the first time unless the BG/SB is highly interfering with my gameplay I won't delete it (mostly because I play the map once just to get the S). When playing maps where getting an S becomes harder, I usually delete the BG and the whole skin (sometimes I even let the SB there, like some slowly moving lyrics, in fact on most of S i R i R u maps I deleted everything but the SB, since they aren't really distracting).

Of course, when getting ranked scores or trying to achiieve something really difficult, deleting everything from the map is a must for me, specially while doing HR or Hidden since I need to have a clear vision of the map itself.

P.S.: By deleting I mean moving then into a New Folder I create on the song's folder, I usually do that if I like the stuff I'm removing for playing reasons, unless the elements I'm removing make the map awfully unplayable (like most NatsumeRin map's BG) I just move them.
Mesita
i almost always delete de skins (i play with a custom one), and hit 300.
I delete de BG and SB (rename them inside the same folder) when i want to play DT, HD or HR. And also delete the SB with a lot of flashes cuz i'm hipersensitive to light u.u

ps: I have to say that any skin that is not my own (default skin a bit modified) severely interferes with my playing :/.
intermu
skin elements is an always (except in some cases where the skins are actually simple and clean enough for me)

SB depends; if it lags, delete. If it's like flashing all the freaking time (*looks at a particular recently ranked map*), delete. If it's just simple lyrics or something simple that doesn't really detract from playing, I don't see any value in deleting it.

I don't mind BG, so they stay.
Aki Evans
If map have SB folder I only change name this map for play time, and when i complete work with map i change all to normal. I respect mappers work, but sometimes this SB lookig so weird and can't play with it... I always think the best alternative to SB is make it like a movie in some video editing program, but this is easy way form my because i work in this programs.
Beuchi
I sometimes delete skin elements when they make playing the map impossible for me, some examples would be http://osu.ppy.sh/s/21218 or http://osu.ppy.sh/s/14208. I'm getting used to play with them though xD too lazy to get on the folder =w=

I rarely delete storyboards even if they lag me, but there can be exceptions, pretty much like the maps Lybydose already mentioned.
Vish024
Generally disable video and combo fire. Former is a distraction for me and heaps pressure on me. Skins....well they don't affect me too much at all really, and background is something I hardly take notice of while playing.
IppE
I think I've replaced one or two skins that came with the map but that was because they were utterly horrible in my opinion. In most cases I don't bother deleting things.
Card N'FoRcE
I used to remove only hitbursts in some extreme cases (when they're all the same colour, for example) a lot of time ago, but it's been a while since i decided not to remove anything from any map.

I can concur that some maps have disturbing elements (mostly epilepsy inducing SBs), but if i can't play with them i just flat-out delete the whole mapset and forget about it.

On the other hand, some maps should NEVER have SB/skins removed, such as Don't stop me Now, I Can Be Your Friend, and most of the fully storyboarded maps you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28932&start=0
Kert
I think I deleted an SB only once (I just can't look at this strobe)
Or a couple of times because of the same strobe..
Or this:
I can concur that some maps have disturbing elements (mostly epilepsy inducing SBs), but if i can't play with them i just flat-out delete the whole mapset and forget about it.
Skin elements are usually fine for me
Andrea

If they don't, I'll keep them.
rEdo
euhm...+1

since i'm using a PC that barely can run osu! ;_;, i'm deleting most of the SB elements (unless they're really simple, like speed-up warning, lyrics and stuff). about skin elements, i delete them only when i find them distracting and they're making the map harder to read (like same color hitbursts, ugly approachcircle.png and hitcircleoverlay.png). and finally, the background. i usually leave it as it is, but sometimes it blends with circles' colors and makes them harder to read (also, like Lybydose said, deleting BG can make playing with hr/fl quite easier), or it's ugly in general :p
Krisom
"I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing."
I mainly delete Aproach Circles and lkeave the skin as it is though, because when the combocolor choice isn't nice I just like to replace the aproach circle for something that's more readeable (visible) than the default one. Aside from that, I mostly play with all the skin elements and SB
Luna
I delete stuff if it bothers me while playing.
Examples:

Massively flashing SBs like http://osu.ppy.sh/s/17670 or 90% of Nightcore maps
Skins where I can't read elements correctly (for example if the combo number blends in with the hitcircle overlay or the score sprites are too similar/not intuitive to me) - prime example for the second case: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/18191
Also, Spinners where you can't see the center since I have the awful habit of spinning in way too small circles and I fail spinners if I don't see the center
Backgrounds only if I can't see the hitcircles properly - mostly Jumpmaps with weird patterns (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/21877) or sometimes maps with AR9/10 but there are some maps where the combo colours just blend in. Ephemeral's Bad Apple, I'm looking at you :<
ouranhshc
ummm, the only time I delete things is if the elements make the combo colors blend or if the score sprites look similar.
especially those flashy SB and semi-transparent SBs. which its , 1) escape to song selection and delete.
I sometimes deletethe bgs for maps that I am DTing or have high AR rates
Salvage
I delete Skins in every map that has a skin (yes , i hate the ones that forces the default one lol) , and keep the SB's .. i got used too much with my skin and can't really play with another one without playing really bad , the SB's doesn't really bother me , in fact they make the maps more fun to play :)
jericho2442
i never delete anything, unless someone wants me to test play something and my pc is in a bad mood and lags up (happened once with me and ouran :/)

but yea i kno how much work go into SB's and stuff so i always try to leave everything as it was made, dang im that bad i rarely even play no vid xD
Weez
Only storyboard i deleted was this http://osu.ppy.sh/s/11947 and that was because I was at school :P
As for skins, I usually delete the fruits for catch the beat since it screws me up
Glass
I always delete the custom skin because I prefer to play with my own skin, I don't dump the SB unless it's full of annoying flashing shit (aka every nightcore BGs ever).
ShaggoN
I stuck between second and third option. But i finally chose third.
Soo:
SB: I delete it when map is hard, and SB flashes and blabla makes it even more harder and makes me blind. Examples: DJ Sharpnel - StrangeProgram, System of a Down - Vicinity of Obscenity. Also when SB contains colorful fast moving object, or when I just don't like the SB.
BG: I put it to trash when Combo colors are the same or very similar to BG which makes approach circles barely visible (i'm still wondering why BAT's are ranking maps like this). Also when it's very colorful. Ex: Hatsune Miku & Megpoid Gumi - MATRYOSHKA [Insane].
Skin: I delete EVERY hit300, hit100 and blabla objects, and usually hitcircles, appcircles too. I usually don't mind of the rest. I say "usually" cause i delete it too when it looks ridiculous for me and annoys me. ^_^ I'm not giving examples here, cause there is very many custom skins and it's not hard to find it. And because i'm lazy to continue this post. :P
Derekku
I hate to say it, but I'm also guilty of occasionally removing skin elements. SB/Background? Maybe once or twice, but only in extreme/old cases.

However, when I remove skin elements, it's usually only the hitbursts. I can think of a few skins where the hitbursts are all one color (e.g. red or yellow) and it makes it too difficult to tell how I'm playing. I think I'm doing fine, but then get to a break and find out that my acc is below 90% due to high OD and indistinguishable 300/100s.
RandomJibberish
I would never delete anything at all.

Centereless spinners really piss me off though
Gabi
I don't think i have ever deleted a SB because usually SB's won't cover hitcircles so they don't really make it harder to see :P (unless it has retarded strobes).

The only reason i delete elements is usually because they hide the hitcircles somehow, or make them more difficult to see (hitcircle overlays being weird, hitbursts blending in with hitcircles and BG, spinners with no center point). But i also get distracted easily, so i can really only play osu! properly with my own skin (or osu! default skin) so i usually end up deleting most skin elements.

Example

A skin like this won't really distract me cause it's pretty simple

However, a skin like this with transparent circles and different hitburst is really hard to see.

So what i'm hoping to see when osz2 comes out is being able to disable skin, allthough i guess we shouldn't get into that topic here.
Soaprman
I've done it a few times to playtest while modding, but never while actually playing. If it's a finished map and the skin/SB/whatever sucks, I just stop playing and move on to something else.
Sander-Don
i delete everything, its distracting and silly imo
taq
I won't delete any sb&skins unless they r EXTREMELY annoying.
Xeno_old
Voted 3 - I delete elements only when they severely interfere with playing.

Bad

MINAMOTRANCE - Love Colors

Spinners like this really irritate the crap out of me, since I spin in small circles, I can't see where the hell I'm spinning and I normally delete them asap.

Indifferent

Hatsune Miku - Star Story

Skins like this isn't annoying and I normally don't delete them.
Luvdic

I used to delete the heavy sb cause my pc can't handle them, but since i have changed it, i don't have that need anymore.

And as for the skin elements, i will always delete those hitburst that are all the same colour or almost the same, and nearly invisible hit circles.

It's very stupid to play a stream and not really knowing if youre doing 300's, 100's or 50's so you could adjust yourself to go faster or slower.
show more