forum

Doubt about length and number of diffs (Resolved)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YerukaLaQK
My doubt is how many diffs do you need if the top diff is (for example) 6,5 stars and the song is a TV Size.

I have seen a lot of beatmaps that have like 7-17 diffs having as top diff 6-7 stars, and i basically want to
rank a beatmap without a bunch of diffs but having as hardest diff like 6-7 stars.

Hope you can help me :,)
WitherMite

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If the drain time of each difficulty is...
...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal.
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
Difficulties below the highest difficulty can combine break times with drain time to meet the above thresholds. This does not apply to difficulties with less than 30 seconds of drain time. Judgement regarding the suitability of gameplay elements used for any lowest difficulty Hard and Insane difficulties is up to the Beatmap Nominators and Nomination Assessment Team members for the corresponding game modes.
Technically you only need one difficulty as long as it accurately reflects the music. and if you arent going for ranked at all, the map spread doesnt matter. Look at the ranking criteria for more about difficulty spreads though.
Topic Starter
YerukaLaQK

WitherMite wrote:

Ranking Criteria wrote:

If the drain time of each difficulty is...
...lower than 3:30, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Normal.
...between 3:30 and 4:15, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than a Hard.
...between 4:15 and 5:00, the lowest difficulty of each included game mode cannot be harder than an Insane.
Difficulties below the highest difficulty can combine break times with drain time to meet the above thresholds. This does not apply to difficulties with less than 30 seconds of drain time. Judgement regarding the suitability of gameplay elements used for any lowest difficulty Hard and Insane difficulties is up to the Beatmap Nominators and Nomination Assessment Team members for the corresponding game modes.
Technically you only need one difficulty as long as it accurately reflects the music. and if you arent going for ranked at all, the map spread doesnt matter. Look at the ranking criteria for more about difficulty spreads though.
I read a bit of ranking criteria and i didnt find answer about my doubt, why then there are a lot of beatmaps (TV Size) with several maps and not only one? if nobody do it is for something i guess, i still dont get it.
WitherMite
because the ranking criteria only enforces the minimum difficulty based on drain time and you are not allowed to have a gap in your difficulty spread.

so lets say someone maps a song with a drain time of 60 seconds and makes the difficulty ~ 6 stars, which would put it around an expert / expert+. But because the drain time is less than 3:30 they need to have at least a normal difficulty as the lowest. so they map a normal as well, but that would make for a huge gap in difficulty between the two diffs so we have to make more that bridge the gap, normal, hard, insane, then expert for a total of 4 diffs, possibly more if the difficulty gap between any of those is considered too big.

there are other reasons some maps have so many difficulties as well like having guest difficulties that someone else mapped for them.

also, note that star rating is not the right way to determine what difficulty a map is. Specific rules for each difficulty type are on the ranking criteria.
Zelzatter Zero
To answer your question:

First, based on RC, most TV size song required a Normal as the lowest difficulty, but also most song offer more complex rhythm than that, and no one is willing to nominate an EN set either, that's why you barely see any map with less than 4 diffs.

Now talking about the amount of diffs required. And the answer is... nope.

RC never restrict the amount of diffs you have in one set, as long as the difficulty gap is reasonable. You can just have 4 difficulties in a set, or even having 51 difficulties (like Hitogata), it doesn't matter. Just make sure that the difficulty gap is not too much, and you're good to go.
Uniform
also, mappers like to add more difficulties than necessary either because they like the song or it's a pp farm map.
Adinda
If you dont wanna make a bunch of diffs just do this simple spread recommendation
Easy: 0.0★–1.99★
Normal: 2.0★–2.69★
Hard: 2.7★–3.99★
Insane: 4.0★–5.29★
Expert: 5.3★–6.49★
Expert+: 6.5★

From osu!wiki
Serizawa Haruki
Assuming that your 6.5* map is an Expert+ diff, you need at least a Normal, Hard, Insane and Expert.
Asphiee
if you dont have any mappers to guest diff for you, you should follow the spread stated by the RC. but if you have then having lots of insane or ekstras are fine.
Topic Starter
YerukaLaQK
thanks everyone for your answers, i finally understand this, i really appreciate it :D