forum

How to map taiko

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
qwt
I map taiko as a secondary mode mainly for GD's / But there's not enough tutorial's / Once you map for a bit , you'll find that taiko is easier , faster , and supports much more intense rhythm's than other modes

Assuming you know metadata , timing , you get the idea

How to create Dons , Kats , Finishers , Spinners & Sliders

To create a Don all you have to do is place a circle

To create a Kat you have to place a Don but add a clap or whistle hit sound to it

To create a Finisher you place a Kat or Don and add a finish hitsound to it

To create a slider you simply select a slider and place it down where ever you like

To create a spinner you simply place down a spinner

You can find where to place these object's at the left of the screen

Does where you place notes in the editor matter for taiko???

No not at all you can place them and where you like it won't affect game play in any way / Also AR dosen't matter at all you can choose whatever AR you like

How to use Dons and Kats

osu!taiko mapping is based entirely on pitches

Dons are used to represent quieter sounds mainly drum's

Kats are used to represent louder sound's mainly louder vocal's or the snare

Not saying you can't use Dons or Kats for nothing else in most cases you have to map them based on pitch of each sound not just the snare or higher pitched vocals

When you play a taiko map that follow's pitches vs. one that doesn't you'll see a major difference

How to use Finisher , Sliders & Spinners

Finisher's are used for loud sounds that need to be emphasized with more than a Don or Kat

If it's a drum or a lower pitch sound it most likely fits with a Finisher Don

If it's a higher pitch sound or snare it most likely fits with a Finisher Kat

Not saying you can't use Finishers for anything else anything you feel can use a Finisher probably can

Slider's are used for held notes or drum rolls , I also forgot to mention you can use Finisher note's on Slider's which are usually used for major emphasis on held note's or held note's that change in pitch , using slider's in any way besides this generally doesn't work out

Spinner's are usually used for when audio increases or decreases In pitches but can be used for anything else that you think fits

Overmapping

Since taiko is mainly composed of circle's to keep a map entertaining you need to overmap

Let's take some example's from a map of mine

(Map Link: beatmapsets/1245683#taiko/2589317) So you could hear the song / timestamp is (00:28:232)

I used 1/6 rhythm instead of 1/4 as I feel like it 1/4 doesn't represent the song's intensity correctly plus this song support's 1/6 , instead of follow a generic 1/2 rhythm to emphasize this intro I used a stream of Kats to represent the high pitched synth in the beginning , than I used the one Don in the middle that follow's 1/4 as a lead in to the next section , after that I used another 1/4 stream but this time with two dons in the middle as there's no sound there but I used it to emphasize the lead in to the snare on the red tick

Timestamp is (00:28:778)

I used 1/6 double's to represent the synth that repeat's on each red tick as only mapping it on the red tick wouldn't quite emphasize these sound's enough especially that there a major sound , than I used two Dons to emphasize the quieter sound's of the synth and two Kats to emphasize the louder sound of the synth basically the pitch increased so I mapped accordingly

Im not gonna explain my whole map as that would be irrelevant and take to long

Basically you need to overmap / like a stream to represent a held note / a burst to represent a lead in to another sound / a double to represent a sound on a red tick / anything that fit's with the music and that's comfortable to play

Patterns

You can't just map like how I explained and not make it comfortable

Learn pattern's , Learn what's comfortable , Learn...... You get the idea

You have to play the game mode , if you already do you got a head start if you don't , ask mapper's , look at what other maps use as pattern's that make it comfortable , you don't even have to play to know what looks comfortable or not , I map STD and Taiko perfectly fine with less than 12 hours of game play plenty of other mappers do the same as me Im sure you can

I wasted way to long making this idk I was bored
Adinda
This is very nice guide ,i always wanna try map taiko after some plays c: thank you
McEndu
Nice tutorial
Also overmapping in speedcore songs to make stuff harder (say, Kobaryo or some of Camellia) is never a good idea
Topic Starter
qwt

McEndu wrote:

Nice tutorial
Also overmapping in speedcore songs to make stuff harder (say, Kobaryo or some of Camellia) is never a good idea
you can do light overmapping there
DeletedUser_13957006

Reforms Expert wrote:

McEndu wrote:

Nice tutorial
you mean improvisation?
Topic Starter
qwt

Blackeei wrote:

Reforms Expert wrote:

McEndu wrote:

Nice tutorial
you mean improvisation?
yea