forum

Is there any reason to play other rhythm games when osu! exists?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Angeljho
Deleted
BakaSutra
I think it depends on the player. Some just want to play at other games, even if osu! includes them. It's a way to take a break of osu! in some points. But maybe not. I'm not the best one to talk about that, but your topic interested me so I'm looking forward other answers :D
Zelzatter Zero
Your second paragraph pretty sums all it up: Different mechanic, different styles to play, unique controllers --> unique experiences. Also unlike osu! (or most community-driven rhythm games in general like Malody), all songs are properly licensed or even commissioned, which I find it fun playing the game without bothering about copyright and giving the most original experiences as well.
Winnyace
it really depends on the player, as Baka and Zel already said. personally, I don't really play other rhythm games because I don't feel the need to, but somebody might prefer other games as well. maybe some play DDR, or Guitar Hero or Etterna alongside osu! or they just ditched osu altogether. it's really up to the player.

to be honest, I think there will many in the osu! community that will buy a new Elite Beat Agents game. it's one thing to play osu! and it's fully other to play Elite Beat, even though they have similar gameplay. a player plays a game for the experience the game offers.
- Isla -
personally, i would stick to osu!
Tonykappa31
There are a lot of unique rhytmh games.
osu took the best of them and trasported these games on its own game
- Isla -

Tonykappa31 wrote:

There are a lot of unique rhytmh games.
osu took the best of them and trasported these games on its own game
yes.
RealMadzie
One thing that osu! doesn't have that Elite Beat Agents has is story and art.

In osu!, there are great-looking levels, but I only know two (Don't Stop Me Now and I Can Be Your Friend) that are story-based. All Elite Beat Agents levels have a story and charming art, so people play not just for the rhythm aspect, but for the (usually) wacky story that goes alongside it. That's one of the reasons Elite Beat Agents is remembered so fondly.

Of course, osu! is good at something Elite Beat Agents doesn't have, which is the competitive and cooperative community. This is the reason why they can't replace each other; Elite Beat Agents is more charming in the story and art department, while osu! thrives in the competitive scene.

Also, osu! will never replace every single good rhythm game. Copyright aside, I have no idea how they'll replace games like Rhythm Heaven, which changes its mechanics every minigame.
- Isla -
maybe..