forum

How to avoid abusing jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PercyDan
I'm making a map but I found that there's some impossible jumps, so how to avoid placing these jumps and when shall I use jumps?
BTW tell me if my timing is OK or not.
Here's the map
Chiru-kun
hi there!
im too lazy to look at the map. sorry if it doesnt apply.

for a 2.40* 27 second map, huh...

thoughts
1) maybe for you, its impossible but for others, its not that bad?
2) for a normal diff, try turning distance snap on. at 1.0x always.

the agreement is to use jumps when a song emphasizes a sound. for example, the drops of a song at chorus, or final cymbal clashes at the song end (but it varies from song to song).

to avoid abuse of this, it is good to have the thinking that jumps are not the only way to express songs. there are other things: overlaps, slider velocity, simple combo colors, slidershapes. you should practice using these other things. find your preferences of how to express a weak or a strong, or a short or a long sound.

actually, if you're mapping a normal diff, its best to remove any "jumps" at all. they are unrankable in normals. better keep it simple. use the other things to express music if you want.
Topic Starter
PercyDan

renzthegreat wrote:

hi there!
im too lazy to look at the map. sorry if it doesnt apply.

for a 2.40* 27 second map, huh...

thoughts
1) maybe for you, its impossible but for others, its not that bad?
2) for a normal diff, try turning distance snap on. at 1.0x always.

the agreement is to use jumps when a song emphasizes a sound. for example, the drops of a song at chorus, or final cymbal clashes at the song end (but it varies from song to song).

to avoid abuse of this, it is good to have the thinking that jumps are not the only way to express songs. there are other things: overlaps, slider velocity, simple combo colors, slidershapes. you should practice using these other things. find your preferences of how to express a weak or a strong, or a short or a long sound.

actually, if you're mapping a normal diff, its best to remove any "jumps" at all. they are unrankable in normals. better keep it simple. use the other things to express music if you want.
Acutally idk what difficulty this is so I just make it normal
It's a WIP map so I only finished the 27s i'll make it longer later.
I'm using distance snap at 0.6-1.3x
Chiru-kun

PercyDan wrote:

...Acutally idk what difficulty this is so I just make it normal...

...I'm using distance snap at 0.6-1.3x
choose only one distance snap if normal
Asphiee
Personally, when I map Normal diff I use .8x with 1.35-1.40 General Slider Velocity. And yeah, if you are mapping Normal (or lower diffs), you should think of fully eliminating every jumps or even try to space an object a bit. A little of warning that is seen in AiMod such as this https://prnt.sc/tnzkv0 will jeopardize your diff from being ranked. Lowers should be free from every possible issues like these.

Also side note, you should probably download Mapset Verifier to ensure your map is squeaky clean from every threatening issues.