forum

copying .osu files to other folders is weird

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
hi there, this is not a rant

so for certain unnecessary-to-state reasons, i have copied a submitted (graveyarded) .osu file into my own unsubmitted song folder. the purpose of this is to have an easy access to that map, despite lacking the correct audio, so that i can have a sort of reference for that submitted map. however, this causes the game to do weird things to osu! it can go down many ways, so let me just tell it in story form.

so the first time i did this 4 days ago (folder creation day), i took from various submitted maps. this worked fine, except that one submitted .osu file had a different mp3 name ssigned other than audio.mp3, so no mp3 played. that's fine since it does not hinder my reference taking.

next, i copy from a single submitted (graveyarded) mapset. this changed my unsubmitted map audio into that specific submitted map audio. so it's no good since i cant hear my unsubmitted audio.

finally, i copy a single .osu file. just one. this can go 2 ways:
1. if i do ctrl+o and change the selection to the submitted .osu file, close the diff select tab then reopen, it instead shows the selection for the mapset of the submitted map. exit the editor, then reenter either the submitted or unsubmitted .osu file, it changes audio to the submitted .osu mapset file.
2. instead of doing ctrl+o, instead i exit immediately. reenter the editor for my unsubmitted .osu file, i fund in horror that half of what i mapped is missing. checking the file, it tells me that the file is in the state it has been 4 days ago. that was scary. so i remove the submitted .osu folder immediately and, in desparation, spam f5. eventually, it worked! it came back to the state i saved it in a while ago. but thats weird, reverting then dereverting file states when there are no saved versions? maybe that was because, when i started mapping 4 days ago, i took the first action: to copy from many submitted .osu files. i am not developer unfortunately, and this is only my speculation from the experience.

any thoughts, or know definitively whats going on? would be appreciated. but oh well. not doing those things again. hahaha!