forum

Who would you generally consider a good mapper? What would define a good mapper?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Coulterminer
I honestly am a curious child
Dialect
wrong forum; beatmap discussions
Flanster
Moved.
Dialect
ok now i can actually answer this question!!!

a good mapper is one who applies concepts to mapping, then utilizes it in a good way

no one is truly a good mapper. except hollow wings ofc

but seriously, i personally believe that once you have a few ranked maps, then you're a good mapper

idk i don't map seriously
Asphiee

MinNin wrote:

no one is truly a good mapper. except hollow wings ofc
This is 100% subjective. L O L
Chiru-kun
mature enough to concisively answer any form of mod with good logic. they have refined their mapping techniques at this point, and understand themselves as mappers. not everyone will like them, but they can respond to thoughts and criticism with fervor, not just saying "because this follows this" or "its my style" without considering every factor.
abraker
An ok mapper is one that simply produces maps for which enough people agree are good. A good mapper is an ok mapper that produces maps that have their own recognizable style. A great mapper is a good mapper that inspires others or even puts an effort in teaching others how to map.
Dialect

renzthegreat wrote:

mature enough to concisively answer any form of mod with good logic. they have refined their mapping techniques at this point, and understand themselves as mappers. not everyone will like them, but they can respond to thoughts and criticism with fervor, not just saying "because this follows this" or "its my style" without considering every factor.
why did i read "it's my style" in pishi's voice
TheKingHenry

abraker wrote:

An ok mapper is one that simply produces maps for which enough people agree are good. A good mapper is an ok mapper that produces maps that have their own recognizable style. A great mapper is a good mapper that inspires others or even puts an effort in teaching others how to map.
I really like this description for the most of it, but to be fair, teaching does not necessarily mean you are great mapper and not teaching does not rob you of it by default
epic man 2
It depends on what makes a good mapper, really.
abraker

TheKingHenry wrote:

teaching does not necessarily mean you are great mapper
I worded it such that the previous conditions need to be true as well. In regards to teaching alone, however, just because you teach doesn't make you a good teacher, and it might also that taught material is incorrect. Not sure how to word it otherwise, so I am implying the mapper is a decent teacher.

TheKingHenry wrote:

and not teaching does not rob you of it by default
Do you think being able to describe the knowledge for others others to understand and use is a greater accomplishment than keeping that knowledge to yourself and using it alone? I believe a great mapper spreading their influence is one of the things that can make them even greater because other mappers would then use ideas rooted in what the great mapper developed.
clayton
https://twitter.com/inatisx/status/1266809637455777792 this was a pretty good attempt define what makes for a good mapper, I think