forum

why there isn't a normal songs in osu ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ElswordQ
it's like I have been looking for some songs ( not anime or nightmare) but I couldn't find them like I was search about

impossible james arthur

too much and other songs but I couldn't find any it's all 1-1.5 stars song I mean why no one cares about them from the mapper players xd
Hydreigon
Because people map what song they want, if you want a certain song to be mapped with a certain diff, ask a friend or do it yourself.
Serizawa Haruki
Most mappers nowadays prefer Japanese or electronic music because it's usually faster than "normal" songs (I'm assuming you refer to english pop music) and offers more interesting rhythms. You are definitely right that maps for popular western music are lacking, especially in the ranked section. In the past, many mappers used to make maps for these songs though so you should check out older maps.
andreapietro001

ElswordQ wrote:

it's like I have been looking for some songs ( not anime or nightmare) but I couldn't find them like I was search about

impossible james arthur

too much and other songs but I couldn't find any it's all 1-1.5 stars song I mean why no one cares about them from the mapper players xd

Osu is a very otaku style game, both for the type of game and for the fan base, osu is a mod of Ouendan a game for Nintendo DS. In addition, "normal" songs are usually copyrighted
lewski

andreapietro001 wrote:

"normal" songs are usually copyrighted

you say that as if the vast majority of the songs in osu! weren't used without permission
Asphiee

Serizawa Haruki wrote:

Most mappers nowadays prefer Japanese or electronic music because it's usually faster than "normal" songs (I'm assuming you refer to english pop music) and offers more interesting rhythms. You are definitely right that maps for popular western music are lacking, especially in the ranked section. In the past, many mappers used to make maps for these songs though so you should check out older maps.

I second this opinion.
Dialect
i mean, it's always been a problem in osu, it's just that it's a bigger problem now. mkguh, schoolboy, and shmiklak are the only mappers i could think of off the top of my head who don't map anime often, compared to back then, when we had people like ztrot, who mapped mlp songs, larto, who was basically an extension of inis mapping, and so on and so forth. i really love anime, but i think we should just try to map whatever.

Hydreigon wrote:

Because people map what song they want, if you want a certain song to be mapped with a certain diff, ask a friend or do it yourself.

i have to agree. you should learn to map yourself instead of asking other people to do it for you. i think osu is heading in a direction in which the focus is on edm music, and this is literally the same route almost every rhythm game goes down. you either have 200 bpm edm songs, or you have 200 bpm anime songs.
Serizawa Haruki

MinNin wrote:

Hydreigon wrote:

i have to agree. you should learn to map yourself instead of asking other people to do it for you. i think osu is heading in a direction in which the focus is on edm music, and this is literally the same route almost every rhythm game goes down. you either have 200 bpm edm songs, or you have 200 bpm anime songs.

The OP never asked for someone to map a song. They only gave an example of a "normal" song they couldn't find a proper map for and they were wondering why there aren't any. Besides, mapping these songs yourself would still not change the trend regarding musical genres in osu.
Chiru-kun
adding to thoughts

japanese songs support easy mapping, unlike western songs which prolong certain vocals.

osu! is inspired by a japanese game

anime backrgounds are good

it's just so amazing how this game gradually attracted anime fans. probably out of searching their favorite OP then seeing a video of it mapped probably. give and take. and gradually this game was coined from the outside as a weeb game or otaku game or whatever your terminology may be (though from our insider perspective it obviously doesn't have to be necessarily like that). in other cases for western or at least non-anime stuff? they don't come in cartoons (what beginner osu! player would think of so) or the movies (if so they'd probably be difficult to map due to reason 1). now seeing how anime is a mass medium and only a small percentage become proper modern mappers, then the much smaller playerbase of non-anime song fans would have a much much smaller percentage of mappers of those songs.

we're too far deep in that the cycle will hold for quite long, until such time that change comes. could probably make up some more excuses on this.
TheSosig
I would agree with everyone in the thread that yes, electronic and Japanese style music present a less difficult time for mapping, when considering some of the bigger well known mappers. Also yes, the game itself is centered around on a anime/Japanese style. I mean, the default skin of osu! has an anime girl pop out on combo burts but lets put that aside. The community is based around people who like and enjoy this culture, so in turn those maps and songs that swing to this culture will get more attention, and in some cases become ranked as well. Believe it or not, osu! does have its fair share of western music maps or as put "normal" by the OP. The trade off is new or inexperienced mappers. It may be pending or even a map in graveyard. Then put all of this aside. Osu! is a rythm game, you play and you have fun doing it and listening to what you desire. Just cause a map is a little bit slow or not mapped that well, doesn't mean you can't play it. Just because it's not a popular Sotarks map that is an anime opening, doesn't mean it won't be a good map.
Yukanna
japaneese vocals are a *tad* bit more easier to sync to in rythms than english vocal. also, you can go out there and map some western music for yourself if thats what you want more of.
Dialect

renzthegreat wrote:

it's just so amazing how this game gradually attracted anime fans. probably out of searching their favorite OP then seeing a video of it mapped probably. give and take. and gradually this game was coined from the outside as a weeb game or otaku game or whatever your terminology may be (though from our insider perspective it obviously doesn't have to be necessarily like that). in other cases for western or at least non-anime stuff? they don't come in cartoons (what beginner osu! player would think of so) or the movies (if so they'd probably be difficult to map due to reason 1). now seeing how anime is a mass medium and only a small percentage become proper modern mappers, then the much smaller playerbase of non-anime song fans would have a much much smaller percentage of mappers of those songs.
you're either a weeb because of osu, or you play osu because you're a weeb. and if you somehow still hate anime, then you have at least basic knowledge of anime (even non anime mappers like shmiklak and mkguh mapped anime at one point)
PhamMonMon
You still can use Deep Machine Learning so the computer will make you a map you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k8JS5j-gDw&t=1s
Zelzatter Zero

PhamMonMon wrote:

You still can use Deep Machine Learning so the computer will make you a map you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k8JS5j-gDw&t=1s
That's not the whole point of this discussion, besides the output map is rather messy.
Asphiee
[magically grabs popcorn]
TheKingHenry

ElswordQ wrote:

it's like I have been looking for some songs (not anime or nightmare)
nightmare?
Ayayano
Ah yes nightmare my fav genre...
Maybe he means nightcore since theres some nightcore versions of english songs readily available ?
Dialect

[Arc] wrote:

Ah yes nightmare my fav genre...
Maybe he means nightcore since theres some nightcore versions of english songs readily available ?
i mean if you want to map western music, then just try to find good artists. grlwood has good songs (they're in double bpm style tho) that can be mapped, but the problem is that she never uses a metronome (for songs like i'm yer dad) so it's basically variable timing.

there's not much in western music. sure it's catchy, but it's not fast paced compared to anime openings.
TheKingHenry

MinNin wrote:

there's not much in western music. sure it's catchy, but it's not fast paced compared to anime openings.
just map metal :)
Ayayano
I actually just mapped american rock for the first time (first time mapping anything in english) and its honestly one of my best maps