forum

Which instruments to map/time to?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
IllusionB
So I've been mapping for a few days and rn I'm a bit confused about which sounds i should be mapping, at first I thought that you should map the leading rhythm of the song, which is usually vocals. Then after analyzing my favorite ranked maps, i noticed that vocals aren't what was being mapped even though it was the sort of "leading sound" so to speak.

Should I be mapping usually instruments then? Should vocals ever be mapped at all? Can base be mapped even though the sound is quiet and hard to pick up? tyvm (sorry for all those questions i just didnt want to make multiple forum posts)

cheers! :D
Caput Mortuum
Everything can be mapped, provided you give sufficient justification to your mapping patterns.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/437683
rbk
^^^^
If you're not too experiences, it might be better to go with whatever sounds like the leading instrument. For timing, drums are probably the easiest to use.
Topic Starter
IllusionB

Eraser wrote:

Everything can be mapped, provided you give sufficient justification to your mapping patterns.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/437683

Rubik24 wrote:

^^^^
If you're not too experiences, it might be better to go with whatever sounds like the leading instrument. For timing, drums are probably the easiest to use.

ty guys
epic man 2

IllusionB wrote:

So I've been mapping for a few days and rn I'm a bit confused about which sounds i should be mapping, at first I thought that you should map the leading rhythm of the song, which is usually vocals. Then after analyzing my favorite ranked maps, i noticed that vocals aren't what was being mapped even though it was the sort of "leading sound" so to speak.

Should I be mapping usually instruments then? Should vocals ever be mapped at all? Can base be mapped even though the sound is quiet and hard to pick up? tyvm (sorry for all those questions i just didnt want to make multiple forum posts)

cheers! :D
It's best to map whichever instrument has the most focus in the song out of the other instruments at the moment, normally it doesn't matter if vocals should be mapped or not since you can just map them in the song anyway.

What I personally think is that if the vocals alternate more than the instrumental then the vocals should be mapped completely, or something like that it should be allowed
Asphiee
Second the statement above.
Chiru-kun
not meant to be cheesy.

i don't know if you've done this in your school but time signature lesson in your music class and practice on how to find time signature might help. once you've gotten the beat on the basic time signature, then you'll find which instruments to time to (wherever your time signature counting/beating lands).