forum

Difficulty storylines

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
EiJi
So I thought about this a long time ago. Just remembered about it.

The idea is simple. Instead of right now, where each difficulty has it's own beatmap, this suggestion combines them all in to one beatmap.

First off, when you create your beatmap, you'll be able to divide it into sections. Probably around the same time that you time the song.

Then you proceed as normal, and you create your maps and all your difficulties. Now you have one map with all the difficulties.

When you play said map, at the start of each section, which the beatmapper selected, you get to choose "your destiny", lol, your difficulty. Wow me, I make posts too long.

So at the very start of the map, you get to pick your difficulty, or the style (this would allow beatmappers to make alternate styles of a map). The first selected difficulty/style becomes the default. So should you not switch to another later on (ie not pick), you continue playing the selected difficulty/style.

At the start of the map and also at the beginning of each section, you're prompted to select your path. Available paths would be whatever difficulties/styles the beatmapper mapped for that specific section. Obviously it could be easy/normal/hard, or for styles, sliders/spinners, etc. Slow/fast/Tricky. Possibilities are endless.

This would allow for much, much more diversity in maps. Making three difficulties for a map can be hard, well for some. But it'd be alot easier to make one specific section harder or easier, or just different. Lets say you divide a song into 5 sections. You map 5 difficulties/styles to each section. That's 25 variations of the map.

Path A-------------------------|

Path B-------------------------|

Path C-------------------------|

Path D-------------------------|
Easy--------------------------| |---------------------------
Normal------------------------| |---------------------------
Hard--------------------------| |---------------------------

My god do I suck at explaining shit. Well, if no one understands I guess I'll try again later, lmao.
Echo
tldr: the beatmap automatically changes the difficulty depending on how well you're doing.

How will you make high scores fair?
peppy
tldr: taiko performance-dependent levels
ThePassingShadow
I don't really understand. Does this mean I cannot select my difficulty if I want to ?
awp
this means making 3 difficulties is too hard so make 25 difficulty sections instead

or something

making difficulties well-balanced is very easy, it just requires patience and those who don't have patience shouldn't be beatmapping.
LuigiHann
I don't think this is a copout like awp suggested... this is more like the "branching maps" that someone suggested a long time ago. Still seems extremely complicated though.