forum

Tips for timing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yukanna
I have a very hard time timing stuff and finding BPMs of things without having to search it up somewhere. I just need to know how to time so i can map what i want and not just featured artist section.

Thanks-Clement
duski
This is how I do it:
1. find the earliest section with a clear, audible rhythm (bass hits etc.)
2. let the playback reach that spot with 25% song speed and put a timing point (red line) on the spot
3. find the bpm by going like 5-10 seconds later in the song and adjust the BPM accordingly (if the longer white lines are too far away to the right, increase BPM and vice versa (BPM is usually an integer so you don't have to worry about decimals)
4. move the timing point as early as necessary while keeping it on the right tick (to the beginning of the song if you originally placed the timing point further away from intro)
5. after you've found the BPM, adjust the offset as accurately as you can so the ticks match the song

I hope this helps :)
foss
great advice from duski on the workflow. the only thing i would add to make your results even more consistent is to use the same hitsound when finding offsets. as you run the playback at 25%, it helps to line up the beat in the music with a familiar hitsound (optimally one with a high-attack waveform like a drum kick)

also, some advice for outside of the workflow itself; make efforts to optimize your setup to be as low-latency as possible. aka wired headphones instead of wireless or, god forbid, bluetooth. in terms of software, windows is pretty limited in what you can do to reduce audio latency unfortunately; however, linux really excels in this department.