forum

Mapping is confusing.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Metallikana
Hello there ~
I'm... As you might know from the title someone who's never mapped before. And I didn't really intend to. However... Sadly there's not a lot of maps of my fave type of music - sure i do like anime music too and that stuff but...

I want other music too. So i thought I'd just make maps of the music i like. But it's so damn confusing how to even start. Like... how do you even choose bpm? (yes i already fail there i didn't even get to the mapping part)

But it's too early to give up, so I was wondering if there's anyone who's either a new mapper and wants to explore mapping together with me or maybe someone who'd like to help me a bit ??
I know there's tutorials and guides too i just very much prefer working with people^^ So just putting this out there, I'd be super happy if someone wants to do this with me c:

~

(Also, as for the music I want maps of, I wanted to try getting some terminal choice songs for now^^ Sooo that'd be the kind of music i wanna try to do maps for^^)
lewski
Exploring mapping with people is definitely cool; the social aspect is the thing that makes mapping so fun for many of us. Mapping themed Discord servers are good places to find like-minded people to explore with.

However, timing (bpm and offset) isn't necessarily like that. It has been solved since the beginning, there's nothing creative about it. It's just a framework that lets you put your objects on the sounds in the song so that you can focus on the creative process, which is the part you can explore for years and years and still find new things. As such, I'd recommend just watching a tutorial so you can get timing somewhat out of the way and start mapping. It does take a bit of practice, but since there's a clear correct answer to timing, it's fairly easy to learn.

Of course, if even timing is something you'd like to solve through trial and error, go for it. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

As for actually learning how to map, well, you just have to map. Everyone's bad at it at first, but don't let that discourage you. You haven't failed until you stop trying. The editor has a lot of tools that aren't very obvious at first, so just click every button and see what they do.
Topic Starter
Metallikana
@lewski
Thanks for the answer^^
I'm pretty sure most things are more fun if done together. Which discord servers are out there? I'm totally new to this, so It's hard to know where to look for these kinds of things^^

And thanks for the tutorial on timing, that seems really helpful. I did watch a few tutorials but they usually start where the timing is already done so.. That'll help, thank you^^

I'll definitely try this out and watch more tutorials on it and try to get my first (probably very bad) map done soon^^

I know mapping isn't easy but I really want to have maps for some songs. Hopefully that's enough motivation to keep me at it^^
lewski
Some mappers have links to their Discord servers on their profiles. Servers like these are fine places to start, and you'll likely end up in more of them if you stay active in the community.
TheKingHenry

Metallikana wrote:

I know mapping isn't easy but I really want to have maps for some songs. Hopefully that's enough motivation to keep me at it^^

Honestly, what suffices as "enough motivation" obviously differs between people, but personally this was all that ever really mattered, so yes, it can surely be enough I guess.

sorta off-topic, is it just a coincidence of letters, or why do you have a Finnish name :thinking:
Topic Starter
Metallikana
@lewski
Thanks for the links I'll check them out!

@TheKingHenry
Yeahh gotta find out if it's enough motivation for me xD.. i have a finnish name? That's news to me, it's just stolen from fairy tale xD
lewski
yeah metalli + kana = metal chicken