forum

Update: [Completed Map] Feedback on my first beatmap

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xBunni
So This is my first time mapping, and I was just curious if I could get a little feedback on what I have (up through the first chorus) so far before I attempt to map the remaining ~3 minutes, as I don't want to just produce something god awful. Honest feedback is really appreciated, thanks guys!

Edit: I went ahead and finished up the map and was hoping I could get some feedback on how to improve, thanks again everyone!

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1070260#osu/2240295
TangoZMango
(You said up to the first chorus, but it seems like you have a whole map?)
Edit: I just realised you said you finished it all in your edit
I'm a new mapper myself but some of the things that I thought were not so good:

. Some of the streams have very awkward shapes such as the one 10 and 12 and 20 seconds and 1:33 in. The stream at 2:34 also seems a little bit bad at the end of it (when it goes directly down); you could probably turn that last part into a slider to show how the guitar holds on one note until it fades (but that might be a long slider, maybe it could be cut earlier).

. Slider shapes also seem a little strange - I think one of the main issues is that the slider velocity is quite fast, too fast for the bpm and you could probably achieve a similar effect in terms of sound design using a simpler shape. Some sliders I find issues for example are 8 seconds in (the two curved ones) 10/19/38 seconds in (could be smoothed out using nodes much more efficiently since you only need like one), 18 seconds (zig-zag one)

Also maybe you could add kiai time?
Edit: Add hitsounds

Edit again: after the first break, you should try to calm all the mapping,at around 1:26-1:27, I don't think you had to use the streams; you should try to use streams and jumps less overall as it begins to feel (for me at least) a bit too repetitive

I apologize for typing so much, I'm just used to writing in detail xD.
Topic Starter
xBunni
I spoke with a few friends as well and they agreed on the slider speed in the beginning (which slows down once the vocals start) and I'm not entirely sure why I did that in the first place, but I did go back and fix that to match the rest of the map as well as scale down how all over the place everything was, and it seems to flow at least a little better now. That's good insight with the slider instead of the straight down stream at the end of the guitar solo though! I hadn't thought of that.

Since I've never mapped before I wasn't entirely sure what kiai time was (even after reading the guides) so I didn't touch it, but I can definitely go back and see if I can find fitting places, I would be worried of overusing it.

Hitsounds are also something I completely forgot about.. I was so focused on actually putting the notes there I overlooked just about everything else, haha

Thank you though! I really appreciate you taking the time to look over it
Dowell
Maybe you can make this part a kiai here ? 00:53:552 (1) -
Also here 03:05:333 (1) - or on the big white tick
To be honest it feels weird to have one in the middle of a slider but i'm also a beginner so i may be wrong