forum

Why does missing a fruit effect your score so badly?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Squishy lul
So, I'm fairly new to osu!catch. (I have 500pp as of now so I'm not to sure if I can consider myself, "new") And I tend to choke a ton of beatmaps.
I'm trying to start playing longer and harder beatmaps. (bigger scores, 1000+ combo, you get the idea.)
Well, I've noticed that on some beatmaps that I've missed like maybe 1 or 2 fruits on, I only get like barley half the score then the people that actually fc it.

For example, there's a beatmap called Croatian Rhapsody (it's an alright beatmap, not really meant for catch but it's somewhat fun in gameplay I guess.) You can get a score of over 40m if you fc, but the problem with me is that I combo breaked. in other words, I missed a fruit. I only got a score of 5m because of the choke.

I'm sorry if this really is a dumb question, but I really wanna know why combo breaking just kills your score.
A Moon Gust
Kitsuka
There's a page in the wiki dedicated to score: https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Score/

If you don't want to read it, basically the higher your combo is, the higher your score will be. Not only that, but you gain WAY more points when your combo is high. So, if you get a relatively low highest combo on a 1000+ combo map (like 400-500), then the people who fc'd it will have a significantly higher score than you.

Hope that was useful, I'm not that good at helping others. x)

(Dammit, I got beaten)