forum

How do I make easier difficulties

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
galactiknight
Now that I am done making the "hardest" difficulty for "Wolf Bite", I need tips on how to make the easier difficulties.
For example, how do I make a good progression between difficulties, ways to make the map easier, and so forth?

edit:
Also, should the difficulties be named generically ("hard", "normal" "easy")?
lewski
Compared to higher diffs, low diffs tend to have simpler and sparser rhythm along with lower and more consistent spacing. After all, those are some of the most straightforward ways to make a map easier.

Rhythm is especially important; with most songs, mapping all the sounds in the song results in a rhythm that's too hard to understand and/or too intense for new players. In other words, you'll most likely need to ignore some of the sounds in the song. It's also a good idea to focus on the most prominent layer in the song so that the map feels as connected to the song as possible. This is a rhythm game, after all. The most prominent layer tends to be the vocals or, in instrumental songs, the melody. If you feel like you need to make the rhythm easier in a part you've already mapped, you can for example map more of the sounds passively (with sliderends and/or repeats), replace a slider with just one circle, or just outright delete an object or two.

"Good difficulty progression" depends on the song and the higher diffs. Generally speaking, though, Normal diffs should introduce players to active (clickable, i.e. circles and sliderheads) half-beat rhythm, while Hard diffs should introduce active 1/4 rhythm. Of course, if the song doesn't have any 1/4, the Hard shouldn't have any either. 1/3 rhythms are usually mapped passively in low diffs unless the song has an entire section with that kind of rhythm.

As for what's good or bad in each diff, you should definitely check out the difficulty-specific Ranking Criteria. Do note that the guidelines for low diffs listed on the page are practically rules. It's also a good idea to take a good, analytical look at a few ranked low diffs.
Usaha
adding on to what lewski said, when you make low diffs you want to try making it as simple as possible to read, so doing patterns that are equisdistant isnt what you want to do (low angle triangles). Almost all low diffs use more linear flow instead of sharp angles.
lewski

Hanasaka Yui wrote:

doing patterns that are equisdistant isnt what you want to do (low angle triangles)

Topic Starter
galactiknight
thank you! :)