forum

RSS Feeds, Email, and/or Mobile Notifcations

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
ThePassingShadow
I'm osu! obsessed, practically. The moment a ranked song is released, I want to check it out (if I haven't modded it already first). I'm also constantly checking the changelog to see if peppy has made any new updates to the Test Build. Lastly, I'm always checking my ranking to see if I have to deal with minyeob, Nharox, and/or Sousei to keep my spot.

Those are all easy to do if I'm at my computer. But if I'm out with my girlfriend, staying at a friend's, sitting in school, etcetera, it's not as simple to check. I can look using my Blackberry, but it's not a very convenient system. Loading takes a while, and it's hard to view everything.

A simple solution would be an email notification like the notifications I receive for subscribed threads. It could be as simple as saying "You have been pushed down in the rankings to #8." or something similar. Or "A new beatmap has been ranked !" with the title and a link to it. Or an email saying "peppy has posted a new build, check out the changelog !" when the changelog is updated.

RSS feeds for my Google Reader or whatever other people use for their RSS would be convenient also. I don't know how easy that would be to implement. I also don't know how difficult it would be to send SMS notifications to people, but that's another possibility I suppose.

I discussed this briefly with LuigiHann and he said that peppy had planned to give this feature to subscribers only, which seems to make sense to me.

Let me know if these suggestions are feasible.
Echo
RSS sounds good, but too much spam I think for email
YoshiKart
It would be great if peppy found some time to build an osu! toolbar for FF/Opera/IE. :)
CheeseWarlock
I'd love to see a ranked beatmap RSS feed. Or maybe ranked maps and news. SMS and e-mail sound a bit silly to me, but I have no particular objections.
Jeffro
$select = "SELECT * FROM BEATMAPS WHERE RANKED = '1' ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 10 ";
$query = mysql_query($select) or die(mysql_error());

$file = fopen("rss.xml", "w");

fwrite($file, '<\?xml version="1.0"\?>
<rss version="2.0">
<channel>
<title>osu! Ranked Beatmaps</title>
<link>http://osu.ppy.sh</link>
<description>Latest Ranked Beatmaps!</description>
<language>en-us</language>');

while($array = mysql_fetch_array($query)){
extract($array);

$content = htmlentities($content);

fwrite($file, "<item>
<title>$title</title>
<artist>$artist</artist>
<link>http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=beatmap&s=$id</link>
<creator>$creator</creator>
</item>");
}

fwrite($file, "</channel></rss>");

fclose($file);

I guess peppy could use something like this :) For this great idea :)
Echo
recruit jeffro plox
Jeffro
~lolz. It's just a simple php script for RSS feeds XD
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.