forum

Mouse Sensitivity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
n3d2l1
Hi! I'm new to Osu and I think that the community of this game is very good. However, it seems to me that there are some misunderstandings about the mouse sensitivity. So I wrote this post.

The cursor speed can be explained by this formula:
DPI * in game sensitivity = X pixels

DPI is the number of dots per inch. It depends on the mouse model. Some models have it adjustable.
DPI 800 and sensitivity 1.0 is the same cursor speed as DPI 1600 and sensitivity 0.5
When playing in fullscreen the cursor speed also depends on a screen resolution. On the bigger resolution cursor will move the same number of pixels, however play space will be extended to a larger number of pixels.
Default in game sensitivity setting range is from 0.4 to 6.0, which means, that with DPI 6400 the lowest total sensitivity is 2560 (6400*0.4). This is very high. So if you need, you can change this setings in .cfg file.
This table shows that most top osu mouse players usually use total sensitivity 800 (DPI 800 with in game sensitivity 1.0). These are propably default settings.
The biggest sensitivity i found is 3400, and the lowest is 200.
Changing sensitivity is bad idea, you will lost all muscle memory and you will have to learn how to play from scratch.

This all applies to raw input enabled. Only situation when you should have raw input disabled is when you want same cursor speed in game and in your operation system. You need then in game sensitivity set to 1.0 and the same screen resolution.

I'm not sure if i covered everythink and if it's any usefull, but i just felt that I had to write it.
ManuelOsuPlayer
This has been explained already 200 times.
dung eater
Your resolution matters, too. Also windows sens when raw input off. They aren't on tje list for no reason.

The area is what you compare for differences in actual sensitivity.
raccoongamer

jaaakb wrote:

Your resolution matters, too. Also windows sens when raw input off. They aren't on tje list for no reason.

The area is what you compare for differences in actual sensitivity.

Ah, that’s why I felt like DPI was decreased when I switched from my laptop (1366*768) to my PC (1680*1050). I wish I knew that earlier :(
show more