forum

Damn, my wrist hurts from playing Osu! too much.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk
Luckily I haven't got RSI in my wrist. Although, in the past I have had really bad RSI in my wrist from playing StepMania and Quake III, and it took me months to recover from it. This time I have a really big blister on my wrist from the friction of my wrist rubbing against my 'SteelPad S&S' mouse mat. I guess I'll have to play using a trackball for the next few days to let the blister heal. Although, I have no Osu! skills yet using a trackball, so I'll probably suck just like I do now. :)

A couple of pics of my blister are below:

*Images removed*
Saturos
Yikes.

Breaks from osu! are extremely advisable. ;x
peppy
*hides from adam's team of lawyers*

Yeah, take a break and possibly change your mousepad/mousing style afterwards to avoid the friction..
Saturos
I personally just use a cloth mousepad and my wrist is typically just a pivet point; it barely moves aside from lifting up for spinners. If you can somehow manage to change up to a similar style, I doubt you'll have friction trouble. Only thing that I ever have hurt after a while is my shoulder from trying too damn hard on spinners.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Saturos wrote:

I personally just use a cloth mousepad and my wrist is typically just a pivet point; it barely moves aside from lifting up for spinners. If you can somehow manage to change up to a similar style, I doubt you'll have friction trouble.
When my wrist heals I plan on wearing a bandage or plaster, or something else to cover my wrist so it wont get the friction burns. When playing Osu!, I need to keep my wrist on the mouse mat for extra mouse control. My hand is a lot more uncoordinated and shaky if I play with my wrist off the mouse mat. I always lift my wrist for the spinners though, where coordination isn't as important.

Saturos wrote:

Only thing that I ever have hurt after a while is my shoulder from trying too damn hard on spinners.
You move your whole arm when doing spinners? I just rotate my wrist.

You must get really worn out at the end of a beatmap, with the speed your spinner scores go up. I'm lucky if I can get 7,000 points on one, never mind the 25,000+ you get on it. ;) :P
ROMaster2
Sorry to hear that from you mate. :o

Try increasing your Mouse Speed in Osu so you don't have to move your wrists as much across your mouse pad., that's what I did.
wiicademan
O_o

And I thought it was bad when my shoulder hurt for a few minutes from playing Leva's polka 10 times in a row...
chan
Is your chair at an appropriate height to use your mouse/keyboard? Something as simple as this might be the cause of your problems.

You can also buy random squidgy things for your wrists to rest on. Like this.

I have a translucent hippo with coloured beads in it. Not sure if they really help, but they are pretty cute :D
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

chan wrote:

Is your chair at an appropriate height to use your mouse/keyboard?
Yes, I've got an adjustable swivel chair. :)

chan wrote:

You can also buy random squidgy things for your wrists to rest on.
I'm not too keen on gel wrist rests due to the height of them, since the extra height messes up my mouse control. I like my wrist to be at same height as the bottom of my mouse, since it's how I've used a mouse for the past 15+ years. :D
mrtn
The following advise is completely serious and in no way sarcastic:

Use a math workbook instead of a mouse pad. That way your entire arm is on the page and your mouse reacts perfectly to the squares. I use it all the time. It works better for me than any mouse pad.

Download: Hirano Aya - Unnamed World (TV Size) (Eirene) [Sushi's Easy].osu
Asher005
That blister looks freakin' scary :o
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Asher005 wrote:

That blister looks freakin' scary :o
I've still got a mild blister on my wrist and it's a little bit red, but the pain is completely gone now. The skin on the area that has the blister is getting thicker and less sensitive, so I shouldn't get any more severe blisters from playing Osu! in the future. :)
[deleted user]
I'm no doctor, but I know a lot about anatomy, virology, and the arm in general (my father's a physician and my mother's a therapist for the arm/wrist/hand.)

What it appears to me is that you have one of two things:

1. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
2. A cyst.

The first thing you should to is get it checked out by your general internist/physician, because I may be wrong and it might just be a blood blister, in which case there's nothing you can do but keep it protected.

If it is carpal tunnel, you'll need surgery.

If it is a cyst, you'll need surgery.

So if it is one of what I think it is, sucks to be you, otherwise you're probably okay.
Topic Starter
adamskii_uk

Yoshi-5up wrote:

I'm no doctor, but I know a lot about anatomy, virology, and the arm in general (my father's a physician and my mother's a therapist for the arm/wrist/hand.)

What it appears to me is that you have one of two things:

1. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
2. A cyst.
I posted the pics in this thread almost 3 months ago. The lump on my wrist was simply a large blister caused by friction burns with my mouse mat (it's plastic with a rough surface), from doing spinners with my mouse at high speeds.

Mouse mat pic here (SteelPad S&S):
http://techgage.com/reviews/steelpad/s_ ... _thumb.jpg
Slain087
I personally think that thing's too big to be playing osu! on.
Mafiamaster
That mousepad is huge! Also I use the same kind of mouse with those 2 little buttons on the side like that and 2 buttons on top to increase or decrease sensitivity speed for spinners!! Lol.
CowNoseThe50PoundCat
There is no such thing as a mousepad too big!
nomedeusuarionaodisp
At least you have room for playing :|