forum

3rd party skinning websites are cancer to the skin community

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
autoteleology
They rob skin creators of credit for their work, take away attention that could be given to this forum and its community, and generate a flood of stolen half-assed Frankenstein abominations that are of no use to anyone. I personally think this community would be way better off if they disappeared.

Discuss.
Ryoid
Maybe they just don't know the rule and can i ask something (i'am new to this kind of thing)
What is this 3rd party skinning website? You mean osuskinner? Or skin forum?

I agree thanks to that website this skinning forum was a mess
I will prefer to chose original even it was bad cause skinning is not easy its take a lot of time and hardwork
Than half assed copy-paste skin elements
Topic Starter
autoteleology

Ryoid wrote:

Maybe they just don't know the rule and can i ask something (i'am new to this kind of thing)
What is this 3rd party skinning website? You mean osuskinner? Or skin forum?
Yes, osu!skinner is the prime example of this problem. They steal our stuff, don't credit it, and then to top it off, they use this stolen work to generate extremely counterproductive and in my personal opinion, downright insulting traffic to the forum. As far as I am concerned, they create no benefits and cause us huge problems. They are a parasite, plain and simple.
Lyawi
It has advantages and disadvantages. People who are new to skinning just can make their own skin and are happy with that! But yeah, not asking the skinners for their permission to post their work isn't cool. More and more people post their mixed skin here and that's against the rules. Remember, we can't say "hey, stop hosting your page because of ..." - we just have to live with that, people will always create mixed skins and we can't do anything against that except reporting threads which include mixed skins.
Ryoid
Why don't just make the rule pop up when someone make (first) new thread in this forum
So they will know that this skinning forum has a rule.wit this the chance of a thread contain mixed skin will decrease
Unless they where dumb enough to make a such thread
O2MasterFX
Add garin's thread as reference, so everyone knows what are we talking about.
osu!skinner's thread

I have informed the site owner about the discussion.
Ryoid
Damn! this was harder than i thought,i love osu!skinner and the same time annoyed

We where talking about osu!skinner right? when i know this skinning forum for the first time and downloaded some of the skin i say
this skin is annoying,i don't like the score bar,this was too minimalist and sometime people need to changed it or made their personal skin
cause it was personal preference. If i hate it i hate i, if i like it i like it no one can change that
but some people don't even know how to adjust or make their skin,then i found Osu!skinner it was cool you can choose your own element
and some people upload some element to the osu!skinner,but i see some element were not credited.
imagine the creator fell when they make the skin really hard then someone upload their element without their permission or credit
and what annoying is they steal the skin element from the osu!skinner then post it on this forum

so what are we gonna do? keep watching the forum and report if there was a mixed skin?
deadbeat
Here's the thing. Not everyone want to spend 100 hours looking through all the skins available to make their ideal skin. Sites like that help people make skins they can enjoy without having to reload skins all the time and dive into god knows how many skin folders. While it is true that people do have a habit of making stuff there and sharing it, is that really the sites fault? The site provides a service to people who do actually want it. The site itself isn't the problem and bashing on the site because you're unhappy about it isn't the way to do things.
We also don't really want this negativity on the forums in general. It's ugly and unwanted.