forum

An initiative for an osu!hero (Guitar Hero) game mode.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ninmi
Apologies if this is in the wrong section, didn't really know where to put this in.

Now that osu! is making its way towards its open source era and with the touted custom game mode modularity being one of the most prominent talking points, I thought it would be a good time to explore the possibility to bring Guitar Hero to the osu! universe as well. Why Guitar Hero? Afterall, Guitar Hero is just a skinned 5K, right?

The main difference between 5K mania and Guitar Hero is in the core mechanics. To emulate a real guitar, Guitar Hero requires you to first press and hold the corresponding fret keys before the notes arrive, and then use a separate strum key to actually hit them. On top of this, many parts in the map (most notably faster guitar solos) can be simply played with the fret keys granted you don't miss in between. These make Guitar Hero impossible in 5K mania.

Another strong point is the general approach to mapping. The maps are there to emulate an instrument as closely as is possible with a strum bar and 5 keys. Where as in osu!standard it's okay to overmap to put emphasis on a strong section of a song, Guitar Hero maps aim to follow the song strictly in placing the notes only if there's a sound for it, and note placement also follows the pitch movement of the instrument.

The Guitar Hero community has been dead for a good while now, and I believe having the strong community features from leaderboards to the sheer ease of map creation and sharing driving growth would give the GH community a lot and just maybe breathe new life in to the scene. I unfortunately can't help besides mapping and maybe assisting with the overall design direction, but I'm hoping to find some of you wizards out there who would be just as interested in this as I am. The foundation is there already with mania, it just needs the Guitar Hero mechanics tweaked in and some very rudimentary 3D graphics to bring that perspective in the gameplay. What do you guys think?
Sandy Hoey
Belongs in feature request forum