forum

More accurate "Nearby" filter

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +180
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
I noticed that "nearby" filter show me people 606,6 km "near" me (it is almost 10h "near" me lol)

Example, it shows me people from valparaiso and im from concepcion

I would like if this only shows me people from my city or region, something like this distance... no more than 260km

i dont know if it is duplicate, i tried to search and didnt found anything .-.
xasuma
I would like an explanation on how the nearby filter works. I've asked around, and looked in the website. But I cant find anything concrete.

It seems as if "nearby" changes based on where you live. Eg: Some people will see people in a 200 km radius, others 2000 km.
If someone knows please let me know. Or link me to where this information is.

I've said it in the past, but this filter is almost useless as it is now. And it should be tweaked. It could be a very nice filter to have if implemented correctly.
Bara-
Quite sure it's a dupe, but search is dead
I'm trying for thr past 10 minutes but couldn't find it yet
xasuma

baraatje123 wrote:

Quite sure it's a dupe, but search is dead
I'm trying for thr past 10 minutes but couldn't find it yet
I tried it too, I know ive seen it . |But couldnt find it either.
Kodora
Shouldn't it be at Tech Support forum instead? It sound more like a bug rather than feature request.
Chirimu-Chan
The "nearby filter" works with your IP location, the location, where your ISP's network center is.
Shadowriver

Chirimu-Chan wrote:

The "nearby filter" works with your IP location, the location, where your ISP's network center is.
You right, but it really depends how you ISP registered there IPs or how there network is structured or your host name, at least (but not always) you can get country at most you can get city district, sometimes location if complitly somewhere else.

Location via IP is not reliable at all, finding people (just) by IP is one of internet's biggest myths and yes police can do that... by asking your ISP for your address. Thats why "near by" sux and will sux.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
well, i knew you would reply something like this... and its true, in most of cases your ip doesn't show an accurate position when you try to track it

but at least mine it's ok and "nearby" filter still being too imprecise

MillhioreF
Nearby is supposed to show users from within 100km of you. The problem is that bancho tracks your location by IP address, which can be wildly inaccurate because geographical IP address locations are usually just guesses based on ISP. The only thing we can really do is widen or shrink the area it searches for.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

MillhioreF wrote:

Nearby is supposed to show users from within 100km of you. The problem is that bancho tracks your location by IP address, which can be wildly inaccurate because geographical IP address locations are usually just guesses based on ISP. The only thing we can really do is widen or shrink the area it searches for.
my ip location it's ok, i'm from concepcion, but "nearby" filter still shows me people 600km "near" me

i think it is a problem about how banchobot tracks our ip, because i used several ip trackers, and some of them shows me in santiago, and others shows me in concepcion (im from concepcion)
xasuma

MillhioreF wrote:

Thats exactly what I want. A place to type a number in km (or miles) radius.
Chirimu-Chan
Maybe Osu can use the "Location" info we use on the website (as long its not stuff like "Your house" or something like that).
drum drum

Chirimu-Chan wrote:

Maybe Osu can use the "Location" info we use on the website (as long its not stuff like "Your house" or something like that).
That's not accurate information though and can be set to anything
xxdeathx

drum drum wrote:

Chirimu-Chan wrote:

Only if people are idiots when filling it in
xasuma

xxdeathx wrote:

drum drum wrote:

Only if people are idiots when filling it in
And also the current IP detection is good enough to not miss the country at least. So it could limit people from saying they are from a different country In the very least.

For example if I am silly and say I live in Korea, osu wouldn't let me, and it would say, you can only choose a place from the country I live at.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

xasuma wrote:

And also the current IP detection is good enough to not miss the country at least. So it could limit people from saying they are from a different country In the very least.

For example if I am silly and say I live in Korea, osu wouldn't let me, and it would say, you can only choose a place from the country I live at.
but you can still say you live in disneyland or anywhere inside korea since "Location" field is a text field... but you gave me an idea c:

The best way to do this would to change the "Location" field, from text field to a dropdown menu. So, based on the country that your ip assigned to you, the dropdown menu should show you only cities or states inside your country, plus making mandatory the "Location" field. This would help the "nearby" filter to show only people inside your state/city.
I Give Up
^ also add anonymous option for scaredy cats.
FrzR
Inb4 VPN. Weebs be like "EMERGAD I LIVE IN JAPAN WOO"

But yeah, It would be nice having an 'improvement' on this.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

Fr33z3R wrote:

Inb4 VPN. Weebs be like "EMERGAD I LIVE IN JAPAN WOO"

But yeah, It would be nice having an 'improvement' on this.
it already happens
t/156227
t/132449
Niikatu

[ -Harasho- ] wrote:

I noticed that "nearby" filter show me people 606,6 km "near" me (it is almost 10h "near" me lol)

Example, it shows me people from valparaiso and im from concepcion

I would like if this only shows me people from my city or region, something like this distance... no more than 260km

i dont know if it is duplicate, i tried to search and didnt found anything .-.
how did u find out where he lives lol