forum

Taiko General Discussion thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
LZD

Estaryo wrote:

is there a thread somewhere for practising maps for specific patterns?
i still need a map with many dddkkkdddkkkddd patterns^^
you can always create a new diff on an already done map, you can spam any pattern you need to practice
Nwolf
15 maps ranked in April. I think May will be having more though, look at the qualified section aaaah (actually two maps are dq'd but they will be back soon tm)
anaceleste

Luna wrote:

Regular (awful) player
player (way too much)

and i can do four star ez
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
Hej, updated the mapper list in http://chiyozel.com/mappers
My question now is: What should I add to make it more interesting and not just a simple list of taiko mappers?
PatZar

_Gezo_ wrote:

Hej, updated the mapper list in http://chiyozel.com/mappers
My question now is: What should I add to make it more interesting and not just a simple list of taiko mappers?
aren't you gonna add me, are you?
Surono
me ;w;
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
donezo with a fucking fun thing

This happened
Nwolf
19 maps ranked in May
karterfreak
Probably taking a bit of hiatus from playing the game for rank for a little while. Been kinda gradually losing motivation to play and with the recent kick in the nuts to HD players + lack of any devs having interest in making any actual adjustments to pp / sr algorithms, I'm just not feeling it anymore. Probably stick around for commentary and go back to just playing unranked stuff again.
DarkStoorM

Tasha wrote:

Probably taking a bit of hiatus from playing the game for rank for a little while. Been kinda gradually losing motivation to play and with the recent kick in the nuts to HD players + lack of any devs having interest in making any actual adjustments to pp / sr algorithms, I'm just not feeling it anymore. Probably stick around for commentary and go back to just playing unranked stuff again.
That's why I'm mostly playing unranked stuff until next year. I actually find it even more enjoyable to play generated, exhausting maps than today's ranked maps. I stopped caring about the ranking like 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not saying, that pp / ppv2 is bad, it just needs a bit more research.

Someone should really re-check the WHOLE Taiko ppv2 feedback thread and gather all the information from every post. The ppv2 code is open-source now, so it will be a bit easier to write down all the details from the code and the feedback. The problem is to find that one tiny detail, that is making the current performance system as it is now.

There is a lot to look at in Taiko performance. I really dislike the DT favorizing. I know, that insane speed requires fast reading and insane timing, and only the fastest ones will climb up the current ladder. But! Check the osu! top plays. There's a lot of HD+HR players that have higher performance than DT players. In osu!, HDHR is not that hard for most of the players, in Taiko HDHR is nearly impossible to play for an average player. I know, these are two different modes and they have different methods for displaying notes, but still. A map with the same difficulty settings have notes visible for a tiny bit longer, than the same map on Taiko, and yes, adjusting the osu! AR to match Taiko SV could be a problem.

I feel like if we get all the important information from the feedback thread and deeply analyze every single detail, we can get a stable and balanced performance system once and for all even if it will take a year.
karterfreak

DarkStoorM wrote:

There's a lot of HD+HR players that have higher performance than DT players. In osu!, HDHR is not that hard for most of the players, in Taiko HDHR is nearly impossible to play for an average player.
I largely feel this was caused by osu!standard players who said they could read HDHR in taiko quite a few years back and now it's more nobody gives a shit to actually change this. I DISTINCTLY remember a conversation ages ago in mod chat where a osu!standard mod said that taiko's HDHR is readable and therefore should not be changed, that I'm just not good enough to read it, and that because they could do it on some braindead map anyone could do it on hard maps with practice.

There was a point when they made widescreen for taiko and HDHR was actually viable. Then they made HR SV faster (made it harder for 4:3 players) and added that black bar to HD (widescreen) to remove the visible area advantage widescreen had. When they implemented those changes they broke HDHR again and basically made it the equivalent of playing HD*2 + HR even on widescreen (pretty sure it's just flat out impossible to read on 4:3).

Thing is this is really simple to fix (don't cut the visible area even more with HR added to HD, donezo!) and was brought up several times years ago (and even recently!), and it just continues to fall on deaf ears. This would largely fix the dominance DT has over anything else but I legitimately don't see it happening due to lack of agreement from the community (even if it's a minority) on top of the devs dealing with things outside the state of the game's ranking / scoring. I think part of it for HDHR specifically is the taiko community's own fault for not being more vocal on the forums. Much of the discussion was held through the game client back then.

Anyways, it's still kinda sad that I've been around as long as I have and the only thing that seriously changed was widescreen and ppv2 (which was left to die once it was implemented despite a gigantic feedback thread). Heck I can't even say much as one of the currently broken 'features' is my own implementation that I could never figure out how to get working correctly on all hardware setups (Hello finisher count!)

tl;dr Not much being done to improve taiko or it's community and it feels sometimes like the community itself doesn't care.
darkmiz

Tasha wrote:

tl;dr Nobody gives a shit about taiko or it's community and it feels like people will continue to not give a shit.
I do, but

nobody gave their votes to this thread
p/2849135/
Conor
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
me rn
HR: stupid scaling, OD0 gives zero bonus, OD10 gives 0 bonus, OD5.5 is where it crosses HD in pp, base OD10 240 BPM is the biggest fuck you in history
HD: ridiculously difficult to pp on slow maps, less bad for high OD maps
DT: don't even get me started on it
NC: i literally can't
FL: who cares
HRHD: broken unplayable (and thats even worse on 4:3), DS accusations for no fucking reason
HRDT: stupid low pp values for average bpm songs (150+)
HDFL: 98% DS players, 2% accused of DS despite being all legit
HDNC: decent until you have a dumb straightforward map
HRHDFL: just move 1% from not DS to DS
EZ: that mod is piss from the beginning, if you can't read at all a map, it will make you able to BARELY read it
Converts: fucking why
1/6 1/4 spam maps: WHY
360 bpm maps: WHY ARE THEY RATED LESS THAN 1/6 1/4 AT 160 BPM

Conor wrote:

hopefully the small percentage of the player base that actually talk about this dead thing enough can get something done about it one day
wish i could make the algorithms work in first place so i could at least attempt a fix buttfuck it

best of luck tasha, i kinda feel bad for medley because of that kick (even though i'm 100% confident it would have also been the case if it was ranked before the reprocessing) in hd...
Nwolf
monthly temporary thread revival

15 maps ranked in June (if nothing breaks) something broke it's 13 maps in June! We had an inactive week but a massive amount of newly qualified maps after that so there's at least that (esp qualifies on 23rd of June rofl)
Nwolf
monthly thread revival²

we have 20 ranked maps in July. Yay us.
Nwolf
monthly thread revival³

18 ranked maps

cya
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
i'm breaking the combo because there's no ⁴ :^)
Catgirl
wow 2 3 posts in a month new record
[Ayase Eli]
4Head
Appelkatt

Sometimes you just can't escape your destiny of being a ~96% pleb
lolcubes
Sure is quiet in here.

Hi.
Raiden

lolcubes wrote:

Sure is quiet in here.

Hi.
╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و╭) ・ㅂ・(و
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
figured i'd do a more or less official announcement about it:

every map of mine is now here. (and not anywhere else unless i forgot, some pending maps are not listed either and screw that shit really)

few things to note (yeah, "few"):
1. the download counter is broken (won't work in every browser)
2. only relevant sorting methods (click on whatever you want to play, fun not guaranteed)
3. if some people remember the "fav." column, i removed it. i didn't even use this when importing maps, so who cares
4. i'm planning on changing the default sorting method (sorts by ranked status, ranked in first and unsubmitted in last), need more opinions.
5. if a dl link is broken, i'll fix that. just give me the EXACT data (i'm not showing the map's ID because it would look stupid)
6. maps are now in final version, no changes will be made unless it is critical (game-breaking)
7. do not distribute maps hosted here on other platforms. there's a reason i spent a grand total of 12 hours sorting and exporting all that shit and i don't want that to go to waste. add to that some idk hours of programming. same rule applies for conversions, if i haven't been asked beforehand.
8. if there is a map/diff that is not listed that you own, send it to me with missing stuff. except lustcore 1
9. if you have complaints about my map sucking, sorry for not being <insert mapper name that you praise unconditionally here> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10. feel free to use songs i've mapped for rank, but don't use the maps. although a quick googling shows that the random variable X~>exp(λ) and that P(X >= 1) equals zero for X being the amount of songs i've mapped that will go for rank

it sounds really half-hearted but i really want you to know at least where to find my maps for those who are wondering.
this will be inconvenient for spectating as the player will have to link it, multiplayer might be fine (no country restrictions).

usage as warmups in tournaments will be only on demand and only if it's >100% guaranteed to have this map played. for that -> ask via pm.
for cases not covered by this post -> ask via pm as well.

this isn't a goodbye post you nutshacks, i'm still watching you
Appelkatt

_Gezo_ wrote:

9. if you have complaints about my map sucking, sorry for not being <insert mapper name that you praise unconditionally here> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
your maps suck and aren't as good as gezo's

this isn't a goodbye post you nutshacks, i'm still watching you
cya later dooder
DarkStoorM
Inb4 everyone is like: "LOVE MY MAP PLS"
JhowM

_Gezo_ wrote:

every map of mine is now here.
makes my sheet jealous
Nwolf
15 ranked maps in September if anyone cares
OnosakiHito
I do care.
Nardoxyribonucleic

Ntiger wrote:

15 ranked maps in September if anyone cares
I do care as well.
Edgar_Figaro

OnosakiHito wrote:

I do care.
I agree the more maps ranked the better. Nice to see players with a wider variety of top plays.

P.S. This post is #1337 for this thread. 8-)
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Nice to see players with a wider variety of top plays.
Spoilers: half of them have yumuya #1
LZD

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I agree the more maps ranked the better.
quality>cuantity
Surono

_Gezo_ wrote:

Spoilers: half of them have yumuya #1
at least thats DTablah for yumuya., .
Nwolf
17 maps for October

I don't like November's current situation though
Backfire

Ntiger wrote:

17 maps for October

I don't like November's current situation though
lol yeah

Imcomplete Cherry Girl, Pumpin' Junkies, Sacrifice and 2016 World Comp are our Loved choices, on another note.
karterfreak
Running a taiko league for any interested.

Also kinda hoping we see some more maps ranked this month.. Loved maps we got are good though :)
Nwolf
1v1 taiko tournament (LMS:SE2) has started!

also 11 maps in november blahblahblah
Acrith
Adorn
Can someone PM me a good keybinding set? Still just now heard about ddkk? Not sure wtf I'm doing and zx cv is killing me
thankz
show more