forum

[Tutorial] osu!mania Mapping

posted
Total Posts
show more
MEGAtive
Going to add something into this thread.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz ... p?t=127628
This thread covers patterns terminology that's used in StepMania. Some of the terminology are also used in other rhythm games as well so I think it's a pretty good foundation for mappers who don't know any mapping terminology.
Sarahkuai
souka.... chord is double note <(")
arviejhay
i think in O2Jam style, it's ok to put notes as vocals or vocals as notes. But not too much.
Raediaufar
A really nice tutorial for beginners. However ther are some things that you might want to add like "what is kiai and how to use it" and "how to set your preview point". Well, even these things maybe are already in the mapping basic on wiki but it's good to add them here as well.

You also might want to link some threads that might be useful in osumania mapping such as SV Changes Guide

And as the pattern examples, you can refer to the link that MEGAtive was post but just add the common pattern. And please add pattern screenshot on 7k as well since 7k mapping is also common.
Davin Fortune
The picture on jack hammer is normal jack
The one i want to say is hammer pattern
I can't post any picture for the pattern cause im using my phone, but you can try to see from beatmap Qrispy Joybox - licaa which in victorica's 4K Hard in the middle part which the combination from chord jack which happen after the chord and followed by a note after it, then come with the chord also jacked with the note before it
Maybe u can find in the middle of the song
lenpai
Here's some input on what i know

o2jam:
Both official charts and custom charts do not give consideration to slower speed scrollers when using speed changes (look at Death Moon for official map) (not sure on custom charts though)
Is dumpy to some extent and keeps note flow consistently even w/o any significant sound for the note
Custom charts use LNs more aggressively
High level custom charts uses chordstreams and brackets A LOT even though it isnt needed in relation to the song which is simply forced difficulty
Custom charts frequently use 7 button chords
Haven't played a lot of o2jam but this is my observation so far

BMS:
Would just end up saying rice only. Haven't played LR2 so no further input

FtB:
can't explain lol
XceeD best charter

---------------------------------------

Please do indicate that it is highly suggested to start off with songs you know are manageable. Had faced this mistake too many times.

I'll try to have input on patterns for 7k when i have the time
Topic Starter
Feerum
Okay guys. Thank you all so far!

We had the idea to use a Google Doc for people that want to help with editing the Tutorial.
Should you be interested please send me a PM and i will send you the link.

I will not link it here since i want avoid abuse of the Doc Document.

I will go through every suggestions in the Doc and probably add it.
Everything is welcome from correct the grammar to adding whole points.
Everything you think it should be in the Tutorial!

After we got some more points in the doc i will just copy/paste it into this tutorial!

Hope some are willing to help me here, since i got really a LOT of good suggestions!

Edit: changes for today:
Rename some pattern
Start working on 3.5
Grammar
Remove "Avoid Vocal Mapping" for now (will rework and add it later again, without saying that it's bad)
hannanos

Lenfried- wrote:

FtB:
can't explain lol
XceeD best charter
Don't forget the occasional use of middle lane similar to a special lane though. And the glorious, glorious long jacks and trills
Hilmi Ghazian
Thanks for that information,,,,, :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

btw,,, this my map... try please.. :D :D :D :D :D :D

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/322160
Evening

[1st GCorp] wrote:

If you'd like feedback to your map, this isn't really the right place to post (or is it?)

Consider these ways though, they are more dedicated into giving you feedback:

- Ask an experienced mapper/modder directly through PM
- Modding Queues (basically queues for feedback, they usually respond in your map's thread) 60
- Ask in #osumania, the osumania channel, here's hoping there are experienced mappers/modders willing to lend a hand
juankristal

[1st GCorp] wrote:

As Evening says, this is not the correct place to post it. And please follow his suggestions.
Entozer
Common O2 style:

Intensity = amount of notes
A chart will almost always have an LN

... No, to be honest I don't even know how to o2 style. I've been only playing high-level charts these days, and most o2 charts that I've played can't be called under a style. From what I see it's almost always how a charter wants to play a chart / wants to challenge the players.

There is no rule. People who are still playing o2 these days are dedicated enough that they just gobble anything and everything that will make them improve no matter how retarded the chart is. Though I can only say for sure for ETs. Below ET will still look for chart quality.

Also: A note before an LN is a shield, but a note after an LN is a reverse shield. Differentiated between them because reverse is very easy compared to the other.

I also think you should not mention up to how much beatsnap a pattern should be used. For example: If you limit the trill to 1/6, what should newbie charters do if the music actually has trills that goes up to 1/8 or 1/16? A song can be 90bpm and have 1/8 or 1/16. They will feel lost by following this tutorial. If you will actually say how much a pattern should be used, provide alternatives when it reaches that point.
Akib
For me... o2jam is about visual...
Etsu
Thanks for that information :)
Topic Starter
Feerum
Hello everyone!

Sorry for the lack of updates here but be sure i have read every feedback so far and i was not idle!

I have another Update for you.
I took some time to add this Guide into a wiki article!

You can find it now here: osu!mania Mapping Guide

Basically it's copied from this thread but with a little bit better "interface".

The advantage of having this in the wiki is following:

Clicking faster through content and find specific topics!
The wiki article has a "Contents" Box at the beginning.
Just click on that what you want to know and it will bring you there directly!

Everyone can Edit the wiki and help to improve the Guide!
Yes, that's right! You guys can now add more informations to it should i be again a bit "slow".
I appreciate every help i can get in the wiki, but please be sure to let me know when you add/change something there so that i can add it here in the thread too. I want to keep them both similar!

But please keep in mind: When you want to edit there something, the wiki acts a bit different from the forum. The commands for writing something in Big or for a Box are different.
Also:
There is a edit history!
Everyone can see who did edit something and what he did change. Please avoid to make mischief with the article, it's there to help everyone.

So what's next?
Over the next days i will try to add more content into it, especially keysounding and more into design.
I also still looking for someone who can translate this into other languages! Please let me know if you are willing to help.
I will introduce you into the wiki and how to use/write into it!

That's all so far!
Don't forget to check it out soon again!
Arzenvald
wow, awesome work feerum, different mapping style based on different game gives me determination

can't wait to see o2jam & BMS/IIDX tutorial!
Evening

Feerum wrote:

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the lack of updates here but be sure i have read every feedback so far and i was not idle!

I have another Update for you.
I took some time to add this Guide into a wiki article!

You can find it now here: osu!mania Mapping Guide

Basically it's copied from this thread but with a little bit better "interface".

The advantage of having this in the wiki is following:

Clicking faster through content and find specific topics!
The wiki article has a "Contents" Box at the beginning.
Just click on that what you want to know and it will bring you there directly!

Everyone can Edit the wiki and help to improve the Guide!
Yes, that's right! You guys can now add more informations to it should i be again a bit "slow".
I appreciate every help i can get in the wiki, but please be sure to let me know when you add/change something there so that i can add it here in the thread too. I want to keep them both similar!

But please keep in mind: When you want to edit there something, the wiki acts a bit different from the forum. The commands for writing something in Big or for a Box are different.
Also:
There is a edit history!
Everyone can see who did edit something and what he did change. Please avoid to make mischief with the article, it's there to help everyone.

So what's next?
Over the next days i will try to add more content into it, especially keysounding and more into design.
I also still looking for someone who can translate this into other languages! Please let me know if you are willing to help.
I will introduce you into the wiki and how to use/write into it!

That's all so far!
Don't forget to check it out soon again!
I believe the edit function is limited to certain people only

You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Users.

You can view and copy the source of this page:

You might also want to NOT open it up to the public, instead, certain people, think google docs would be much better in this case
Topic Starter
Feerum
Did you Login into the Wiki?
The wiki has an external login and it's not enough to be logged into osu!website to edit it :)

And i don't really worry about because of the history.
It's also possible to "undo" changes. So of someone should delete everything it's only few clicks to undo it!
Evening

Feerum wrote:

Did you Login into the Wiki?
The wiki has an external login and it's not enough to be logged into osu!website to edit it :)

And i don't really worry about because of the history.
It's also possible to "undo" changes. So of someone should delete everything it's only few clicks to undo it!
didn't know you have to login again

Edited:

LN (rephrasing)

Chord (rephrasing)

Staircase (generalising) /Don't think it's good to resort to using snaps for definition as they are dependent on bpm, instead, BPM/
Added: It is recommended that you should map staircase streams conservatively as it gets very hard to execute after a certain bpm threshold for players, this is mainly due to the jacks formed on columns 2 and 3.
Removed: You can map (depending on the BPM of your song) staircase streams up to 1/8!

Jacks (generalising) /Same reason/
Removed: The jack you can be used (depending on the BPM of your song) up to 1/6.
Rephrased: The jack should be only used for two notes that sound exactly the same.
To: It is recommended to use jacks for two sounds that sound exactly the same.
("Should" sounded quite authoritative rather than a recommendation)

Shield (rephrasing) /Same reason/

Chordjack (rephrasing)

Trills (generalising)
Removed: The trill can be mapped up to 1/6

Jumpstream (generalising)
Removed: The jumpstream can be mapped, depending on the BPM of your song, up to 1/6.

Overall Difficulty (rephrasing)
Mainly separating the MAX and 300 definition + making it clearer

HP Drain Rate (added)
Added definition of gaining more HP and also rephrasing for the end a bit

Timing (added)
Added: It is also handy to take note that most BPMs are integers
Added: or you can press Ctrl + P to set a BPM point at the time stamp you are currently at

Mapping (grammar and stuff)
Difficult -> Difficulty, Extra -> Extreme

Hitsound Hotleys -> Hitsound Hotkeys
Therefor->Therefore
Multiple BPM: (added)
AbsurdDive
read this.. and realized that i need to work a lot on my map haha

Great guide freerun :) :) :)

I'm saving this for when I start mapping, it was very helpful and super easy to understand ^^

kudos to you sir! 8-)
SpectorDG
Very nice thread fee

i hope it's very help to new mappers