forum

[duplicate] Forum Update

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
hyouri
Hello, I think our forum is very outdated. It's very unattractive, not by looks, but navgations and functions and could be so much better. I know there's a new forum coming up at new.ppy.sh, but sadly that one is even worse function-wise but looks much better.

Forum is like our tiny community, it's a very important part of this game, and even with new one coming up it's sad that one is worse than current.

• What forum is missing:
  1. A proper search function - Pretty much any vBulletin forum offers "advanced search" so that you can search specifically for a title or reply while our function can't distinguish them. We have this
    Sad, barely useful Google Custom Search http://puu.sh/nYCJz/33146877d2.png
    This even worse serach function which pretty much seraches term for term and almost never on title http://puu.sh/nYCSo/d1bc76ce1f.png

We do have a decent way to find out users posts and threads by going into their profile, but it doesn't seem like that's added to new.ppy.sh yet. But the thing is we can't sort our posts and threads, it's hard to find an old thread or a post. We should be able to search through our
  2. Worst of all, notifications: We (or atleast I) need this so bad, like honestly. Imagine there being a "Follow" on a friends profile or a thread you're making a GD for or modding, wouldn't it be great getting a "Your friend has submitted a new beatmap", "You just earned a Kudosu from (Map name with url and user)", "Someone has quoted your post" or "Someone has replied to your thread (Modding queue or whatever)" it doesn't matter. The point is, that we have a way to get website notifications, and not email.
    Yes, we already have a "Notify me when a reply is posted", but that requires you to post in that thread first, and also you can't choose between quote or a reply. And even that we get Email notifications is the worst part. The text about Emails in settings say:

"Will be used for notifications, account verification and in the case you forget your password. No spam, ever. Make sure to get it right!"

Forcing us to use Email as the only way to be notified, is pretty much spam. I mean if we disable notifications for emails on Facebook, we still get notifications on Facebook, which is the point, who the hell wants email full of reply notifications? It's lot easier to handle it on the website where you can just mark all as read and don't have to go through deleting or worrying about filling your inbox.

There are ways to get through these, such as turning on reply until you get quoted, then untick that thing, ask the creator if you got your kds and check for them at new.ppy.sh or have your friend always notify you about new maps, but that seems unnecessary when those features should be notified by default already in my opinion.
Feel free to fight me over this, and please post your arguments to why forum should stay this way.

In my opinion forum is just way too outdated and could be done so much better just by staying modern and not anything fancy that takes years to code. Forum is the least pleasant place to visit if you want to use it for serious purpose, but is cute and nice if you don't plan on doing anything except read.
Pawsu

hyouri wrote:

A proper search function - Pretty much any vBulletin forum offers "advanced search" so that you can search specifically for a title or reply while our function can't distinguish them. We have this
This even worse serach function which pretty much seraches term for term and almost never on title http://puu.sh/nYCSo/d1bc76ce1f.png
search.php ?
also this search.php?search_id=egosearch
Improved Search System: t/321779

hyorui wrote:

Worst of all, notifications: We (or atleast I) need this so bad, like honestly. Imagine there being a "Follow" on a friends profile or a thread you're making a GD for or modding, wouldn't it be great getting a "Your friend has submitted a new beatmap", "You just earned a Kudosu from (Map name with url and user)", "Someone has quoted your post" or "Someone has replied to your thread (Modding queue or whatever)" it doesn't matter. The point is, that we have a way to get website notifications, and not email.
Subscribing to mappers: t/30678
Subscription Link on the User Panel (Forums): t/211501

As you can see, there are many requests for the same thing you're asking for. If you have something to add, bump the threads with such info.
Topic Starter
hyouri

Pawsu wrote:

hyouri wrote:

A proper search function - Pretty much any vBulletin forum offers "advanced search" so that you can search specifically for a title or reply while our function can't distinguish them. We have this
search.php ?
also this search.php?search_id=egosearch
Improved Search System: t/321779

hyorui wrote:

Worst of all, notifications: We (or atleast I) need this so bad, like honestly. Imagine there being a "Follow" on a friends profile or a thread you're making a GD for or modding, wouldn't it be great getting a "Your friend has submitted a new beatmap", "You just earned a Kudosu from (Map name with url and user)", "Someone has quoted your post" or "Someone has replied to your thread (Modding queue or whatever)" it doesn't matter. The point is, that we have a way to get website notifications, and not email.
Subscribing to mappers: t/30678
Subscription Link on the User Panel (Forums): t/211501

As you can see, there are many requests for the same thing you're asking for. If you have something to add, bump the threads with such info.

Subscribed to all these requests, thank you!