posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
N0thingSpecial
yea title cause every error bar in my gameplay looks like this:

it's OD 8 btw
Endaris
Try the fucking offset wizard. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/4659
I ended up with +4ms and I can say that it doesn't affect me at all because my awareness is good enough that I can consciously shift the area my hits land in by 10ms or so.
Since every value below 10ms will be heavily based upon which sounds your ears listen for when playing(keyboard-clacks, hitsounds?) it will most likely be insignificant for you.
E m i
Looking at that screenshot, if your offset was perfect you wouldn't be able to consistently tap like that because most hitsounds would sound slightly early.
Most likely for that specific map -6 local offset should fix it

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.
Deva
Just learn to tap properly.
chainpullz

Momiji wrote:

Looking at that screenshot, if your offset was perfect you wouldn't be able to consistently tap like that because most hitsounds would sound slightly early.
Most likely for that specific map -6 local offset should fix it

kriers wrote:

What I heard to be correct and definitely works for me is to download peppy - Offset Wizard.

While having this playing in the background, open the Offset Wizard in your settings. This will make both sounds overlap each other.
Add +20 to universal offset and force it off-sync. Decrease the offset by 1 at a time until the very first tick they sound like they're simultaneous. This should be your universal offset.
Your assumption assume hitsounds determine when your subsequent hits will be which isn't always the case. Look at MinG, he can get D accuracy even at perfect offset.
E m i

How is trying to not acc related to trying to acc? There are even occurences that can break the distribution of hits if you're trying to acc, someone might understream/overstream for unrelated reasons or take a bit longer to aim a jump than they should.
You could even say that pure acc skill simply tightens the distribution of your hits. But assuming no external things that fuck it up, the point where your hits are centered is very important.

yay
chainpullz

Momiji wrote:

snip

How is trying to not acc related to trying to acc? There are even occurences that can break the distribution of hits if you're trying to acc, someone might understream/overstream for unrelated reasons or take a bit longer to aim a jump than they should.
You could even say that pure acc skill simply tightens the distribution of your hits. But assuming no external things that fuck it up, the point where your hits are centered is very important.
yay
The point is that it doesn't depend only on audio input and that's the only thing that changing your offset does. It's possible to be trying to acc and center hits on -10ms on every offset. It's possible to be trying to acc and hit perfectly centered on every offset. Take these two plays, one of which I was listening to wonder stella with in game music volume at 0% and effects at 100% and one which was played normally (they are both shit plays so tbh I don't know which is which):

Note that wonder stella isn't even the same bpm as this song, nor does the rhythm line up like at all. That's the equivalent of a constantly shifting offset. For reference I always hit late on ar10 and no amount of offset changes that.
Jellyfish McGub
if you hit the notes consistently in the same spot that you think is to the music, why should you not be able to just shift the offset?
DeathHydra
Looks pretty much like my error bar, but if it's mine then some notes will hit the green bar.

Tbh I'm also wondering whether I should change my offset or not
_handholding
try to hit notes on time
Minhtam

HK_ wrote:

Just learn to tap properly.
Don't listen to this guy. If your tapping is absolutely precise but not quite accurate, you really should start looking at using local offset. I can tell you from experience that most maps range from -20ms off to +10 ms off for the sole reason that different mappers are used to different monitors and some of them have delays while others don't.
Topic Starter
N0thingSpecial

Kisses wrote:

try to hit notes on time
Thanks I just became bikko listening to your advice
Deva

Minhtam wrote:

Don't listen to this guy. If your tapping is absolutely precise but not quite accurate, you really should start looking at using local offset. I can tell you from experience that most maps range from -20ms off to +10 ms off for the sole reason that different mappers are used to different monitors and some of them have delays while others don't.
Does that mean that i can acc all of them by the pure chance and that i should start using offset just to make sure?
B1rd
It's not an offset issue, it's you hitting the notes early because delaying the time you physically hit the circles to get perfect acc makes it harder to read and aim the circles. Even if it were an offset issue, you should easily be able to compensate for it because it would be consistent across all maps.
Endaris

B1rd wrote:

It's not an offset issue, it's you hitting the notes early because delaying the time you physically hit the circles to get perfect acc makes it harder to read and aim the circles. Even if it were an offset issue, you should easily be able to compensate for it because it would be consistent across all maps.
Are you telling me that my relatively consequent habit of being on the late side of the 300-area if i deviate from the middle means that I got good reading and aim? xd

Also, local offset is a lie since it's just a visual hack. If you orientate your timing via the music/hitsounds instead of keyboard/approachcircles it has absolutely no effect.
Minhtam

HK_ wrote:

Minhtam wrote:

Does that mean that i can acc all of them by the pure chance and that i should start using offset just to make sure?
Dude, how do you think I got so many SS's? Local offset is king.
Endaris
No local offset is useless for the reason mentioned~
Minhtam

Endaris wrote:

Also, local offset is a lie since it's just a visual hack. If you orientate your timing via the music/hitsounds instead of keyboard/approachcircles it has absolutely no effect.
And sometimes the audio is perfectly off sync with the approach circles by x ms. Completely affects accuracy since the game grades you by how accurate you are with the approach circles instead of the music.
Deva

Minhtam wrote:

ummmm...anyone can SS 5000 easy/normal/hards even without offset, what are you talking about?
E m i

B1rd wrote:

Even if it were an offset issue, you should easily be able to compensate for it because it would be consistent across all maps.
well no if it was an offset issue it would probably be the only case in which you can't compensate for it lol. unless there are superhumans who can make a mental effort towards making two sounds perfectly off sync by milliseconds. you need to possess the mental ability for "omg i synced the hitsound to the music so i clicked early" and "omg the hitsound was off sync by 40ms which is twice as much as it should be"

unleeeess you meant actually changing the offset itself. unfortunately, timing isn't unified/standardized/whatever.
chainpullz

Momiji wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Even if it were an offset issue, you should easily be able to compensate for it because it would be consistent across all maps.
well no if it was an offset issue it would probably be the only case in which you can't compensate for it lol. unless there are superhumans who can make a mental effort towards making two sounds perfectly off sync by milliseconds. you need to possess the mental ability for "omg i synced the hitsound to the music so i clicked early" and "omg the hitsound was off sync by 40ms which is twice as much as it should be"

unleeeess you meant actually changing the offset itself. unfortunately, timing isn't unified/standardized/whatever.
Yeah, offset is the one thing that isn't consistent across all maps but having your hits centered somewhere besides 0ms and calling it an offset issue is confirmation bias like 9/10 times tbh. Most people time their hits based on hitsounds in relation to each other more so than in relation to the music so for most people hitting off center is just their inability to read the approach rate.
E m i
confirmation bias is just saving time xdd
Full Tablet

Endaris wrote:

Also, local offset is a lie since it's just a visual hack. If you orientate your timing via the music/hitsounds instead of keyboard/approachcircles it has absolutely no effect.]
Local offset shifts the timing of the notes appearing along with the timing of the judgments. Because of that, if you time notes according to the approach circles (or any other visual), then changing the offset wouldn't have an effect on accuracy; timing via music/hitsounds would be affected by offset.

Due to the sound engine of the game, there is a variable delay (average 5ms) between the moment the game "emits" a sound (for example, a keypress is detected and a hitsound plays), and the moment that sound is mixed with the music to form the overall audio output.

If a mapper sets the map offset so autoplay syncs the hitsounds with the music as perfectly as possible, then having a distribution of hit errors centered at 5ms early means the player syncs the hitsounds with the music correctly (and the play would sound close to how Auto mod would sound while playing). A player could set a local offset for that map to optimize accuracy, the play would still sound correct as long as the replay uses the same offset (but Auto mod at that offset would song wrong). Edit: this assumes that the game mixes the hitsounds with the music before the keypress is done in Auto mod (which might be possible in Auto mod, since the timing of each press can be predicted), but this is probably not the case. If the delay still exists in Auto mod, then changing the game so that specific delay is reduced would require changing the beatmap offsets so they no longer compensate for that delay as much.
Minhtam

HK_ wrote:

Minhtam wrote:

ummmm...anyone can SS 5000 easy/normal/hards even without offset, what are you talking about?
Speaking of which, when are we getting that SS leaderboard? We could use some more farmers.
Xyrus_old_1
It may be that you're hitting circles early due to the difficulty, I have the same errorbar on most of the songs I play, but if I drop down a star rating or 2, the errorbar centres out. Go up a bit, and it shifts too far to the right. Setting local offset might help in certain cases, but since it's the same for every OD8 map you play, I doubt this will help.

Setting up your offset should help you turn a few 100s into 300s though.

Minhtam wrote:

Speaking of which, when are we getting that SS leaderboard? We could use some more farmers.
Time to hit some low 4* maps!

...with [HD]! 8-)

EDIT: ...actually, I'll leave HD for later :|
B1rd

Momiji wrote:

unless there are superhumans who can make a mental effort towards making two sounds perfectly off sync by milliseconds.
You don't have to be superhuman to do this, it's easy to do this.
_handholding

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Thanks I just became bikko listening to your advice
Multi-accounting is against the rules