forum

osu! Idol [CONTEST OVER - WINNER ANNOUNCED!]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Cuddlebun
your voice is too deep silly

I don't think voting would work; somehow I don't see voting working out too well, it's too clumsy on a forum. I say just leave it to the judges and hope they're not like Blazevoir

/badumtish
loser101_old

Todesengal wrote:

I don't think voting would work; somehow I don't see voting working out too well, it's too clumsy on a forum.
I see and now i know i can get the data fast
thx
Mashley
I sent you my entry~
Topic Starter
Haneii

Agent Spin Here wrote:

I sent you my entry~
wow you're quick :D . Got it, thanks.

Todesengal wrote:

I don't think voting would work; somehow I don't see voting working out too well, it's too clumsy on a forum. I say just leave it to the judges and hope they're not like Blazevoir

/badumtish

I guess I'm kinda worried about that as well. I'm just gonna have to come up with an efficient/consistent system.

So far this is what loser101 (who volunteered to help with judging/voting aspect of this contest) and I have come up with :

• - Judges will receive an excel chart with a list of contestant numbers (they won't know the names yet), categories to judge them on (still working on those. currently taking suggestions :D), and all the .mp3 clips (once again nameless, mp3 number shall match the number on the chart).

- Judges will them listen to the voice clips and for each category give the contestant a score from 1-10. Judges will have 72 hours to fill in the charts and return them.

- Scores from all 4 judges will then be added to give each contestant a final score. This final document will have their names on it. At this point I shall post the video of all the clips on the thread and everyone can watch..er listen to them.

-Judges will decide on a day/time where they can all get together (locked match in multiplayer) and make a final decision (?). At this point they will have recieved the final document with all the names and scores. Of course those with high scores move on...etc...but in the case of matching scores, judges will discuss who should be eliminated and who should stay.

Question/Ideas that I'm throwing at you:

- Should the judges decide everything? No voting?
- Judges have the final decision but they will take votes into consideration? (helpful in the case of matching scores?)
- Final week - only voting?
- [insert your suggestion here.....Indeed, I threw your own suggestion at you before you could even come up with/ suggest it]
- Should this list be a poll?
loser101_old

Haneii wrote:

- Should the judges decide everything? No voting
- Judges have the final decision but they will take votes into consideration? (helpful in the case of matching scores?)
- Final week - only voting?
- [insert your suggestion here.....Indeed, I threw your own suggestion at you before you could even come up with/ suggest it]
- Should this list be a poll?
yes
yes
yes
yes
only me and Haneii know the password for the match.
Topic Starter
Haneii
Silly loser, you can't be yes to everything.
Powerdrone
Just as a quick question...

As judges, are we supposed to choose seriously the BEST singer? =P
Cuddlebun
I would assume the one you liked listening to the most
Sleep Powder
I'll join~
Topic Starter
Haneii

Powerdrone311 wrote:

Just as a quick question...

As judges, are we supposed to choose seriously the BEST singer? =P
You'll be scoring them under different categories.

So far the categories I'm thinking of having are:

• Voice
    Entertainment Value
    ............anyone have any suggestions?
Sleep Powder
@ above post

I suggest

Smoothness (Clear Voice etc.)
Timing
Creativity (Pitch/Note variation)

I also suggest you avoid judging based on...

BGM quality
Disliked voice
Song Choice (how the song sounds instead of the singer)
Kiddo-Kun

animask wrote:

@ above post

I suggest

Smoothness (Clear Voice etc.)
Timing
Creativity (Pitch/Note variation)

BGM quality
Disliked voice

I like that ~
Topic Starter
Haneii

animask wrote:

@ above post

I suggest

Smoothness (Clear Voice etc.) thanks, this shall go under voice.
Timing Don't you think that's a bit too technical?
Creativity (Pitch/Note variation) I really like this one. Thanks

I also suggest you avoid judging based on... I also like that you suggested what judges shouldn't be base their scores on

BGM quality I guess, but within reason
Disliked voice
Song Choice (how the song sounds instead of the singer) Definitely
eee
Sign me up (har har), but if I don't come up with an entry, you can disqualify me.
But I will try to get it within the time given, I just don't have much computer/mic access.
Ekaru

Haneii wrote:

animask wrote:

@ above post

I suggest

Timing Don't you think that's a bit too technical?
Not at all. Timing is one of the biggest parts of singing, it's like half of what creates the melody (the rest being the singer's voice singing to the correct pitch). Without correct the melody can be horrendous. If you can tell that their timing is off then they should be deducted points for that.

And I don't mean 'you can tell if you slow it down' off or '1/100 of a second' off, I mean if you can tell with the naked ear at 100% speed that they're off with virtually no doubt for a significant portion of the song without comparing to the original version of the song. That's a pretty big margin for error if you think about it.
Topic Starter
Haneii

Ekaru wrote:

If you can tell with the naked ear at 100% speed that they're off with virtually no doubt for a significant portion of the song without comparing to the original version of the song. That's a pretty big margin for error if you think about it.
Okay :) . I'll add Timing to the categories.
Powerdrone
I really like the idea of categories! Here's my two-cents...

Voice: The quality of the performer's voice. Did they sing clearly? Could you understand the lyrics (anunciation)? Did their voice flow? Was the performer on key?
Entertainment Value: How you enjoyed the performance. Think about song choice, how it was performed, did it make you feel an emotion?
Creativity: Specifics about the performance. Did the performer "make the song their own"? Did the performer take risks (and did they work ;D )?

Perhaps an Overall category? Marking the whole performance overall.

Also, the judges should provide comments about what they thought for each category and the performance as a whole.

^_^

Edit: Oops also timing. Didn't mention that anywhere, but it's okay =P
Topic Starter
Haneii
Categories so far:

• Voice: The quality of the performer's voice. Did they sing clearly? Could you understand the lyrics (annunciation)? Did their voice flow? Was the performer on key?
    Entertainment Value: How you enjoyed the performance. Think about song choice, how it was performed, did it make you feel an emotion?
    Creativity: Specifics about the performance. Did the performer "make the song their own"? Did the performer take risks (and did they work ;D )?
    Timing: If timing is off then they should be deducted points for that.
    (note: not “you can tell if you slow it down” off or “1/100 of a second” off. Refers to when you can tell, with the naked ear, at 100% speed that they're off with virtually no doubt for a significant portion of the song without comparing to the original version. That's a pretty big margin for error if you think about it.)
    Overall: Sum of all scores from all four categories

I think 4 categories are enough. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ll most likely copy/paste this to the instructions I’ll be sending the judges (I’ll be sending the judges everything they need/need to know on August 2nd).

animask wrote:

BGM quality
Disliked voice
edit: ^^added "the singer's sex/gender/etc"

Any more suggestions on what you think judges should avoid?
Ekaru
Ooh, ooh, I know! The singer's sex/gender/etc.! Hey, people do that with beatmap ratings all the time so you might as well add it.

Also, I just realized that I haven't really sung much since after I hit puberty some years ago. Judges, brace yourselves!
Fangfall112
I think I will join.... ^~^
KoromoAmae
I think that creativity and entertainment value should be rolled into one category because they're subjective and difficult to gauge accurately, while voice should be split into pitch accuracy and enunciation clarity to give more objective measures and keep the number of categories at 4.
Kiddo-Kun
Two more slots..... Who is gonna take it?
Topic Starter
Haneii
silly dtk- there are unlimited slots :P
Kiddo-Kun

Haneii wrote:

silly dtk- there are unlimited slots :P

Yes, silly DTK
Topic Starter
Haneii

KoromoAmae wrote:

I think that creativity and entertainment value should be rolled into one category because they're subjective and difficult to gauge accurately, while voice should be split into pitch accuracy and enunciation clarity to give more objective measures and keep the number of categories at 4.
I don't think Voice should be broken down like that...a score from 1-10 based on all those qualities seems enough (imo).
And entertainment value and creativity are different. Entertainment value is the overall feeling the song gives you, etc, etc...and creativity is how well you make it your own/spice things up etc...

But I don't think creativity and entertainment should have a high scoring. How about?

Voice- score out of 10
Timing- score out of 5
Entertainment value - score out of 5
Creativity- score out of 5

neh minna, what do you think?
rust45
I might as well try this.

If I don't cough up an entry (which is what my singing will sound like) just disqualify me.
Mashley
I thought this was a singing contest not a composing contest... How are we supposed to be creative, just bastardise the song? That's awful. Timing also is impossible when audacity decides to fuck up your timing even when you sing in time to the instrumental.
Topic Starter
Haneii

Agent Spin Here wrote:

I thought this was a singing contest not a composing contest... How are we supposed to be creative, just bastardise the song?
You might have a valid point here. Plus what if the judges don't know the original song. They wouldn't really know if you we're being creative or not at a certain point. Can someone come up with a strong argument for why creativity should be a judging category? (If not I'll remove it)

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Timing also is impossible when audacity decides to fuck up your timing even when you sing in time to the instrumental.

Ekaru wrote:

Timing is one of the biggest parts of singing, it's like half of what creates the melody (the rest being the singer's voice singing to the correct pitch). Without correct the melody can be horrendous. If you can tell that their timing is off then they should be deducted points for that.

And I don't mean 'you can tell if you slow it down' off or '1/100 of a second' off, I mean if you can tell with the naked ear at 100% speed that they're off with virtually no doubt for a significant portion of the song without comparing to the original version of the song. That's a pretty big margin for error if you think about it.
Jarby
I think it would be best to not judge like that at all. Each judge should arrange their votes on their entries from best to worst.
Topic Starter
Haneii

JarJarJacob wrote:

I think it would be best to not judge like that at all. Each judge should arrange their votes on their entries from best to worst.
There are 20+ contestants for the first round. Don't you think it'll be a little difficult for them to list/arrange entries from best to worst?
Azure_Kite
I'm easy. Put me straight into #20.
Cuddlebun
uhhh creativity doesn't really seem a category that should be really considered, I agree with ASH
Sleep Powder
Creativity could also mean...

1 ) Changing the notes in the song to fit your voice.
2 ) This could also mean changing the lyrics a little
3 ) Any vocal additions can also be added to improve ( sometimes ruin ) the song

You don't have to absolutely change the song but just sing it in a way that only your voice can achieve.

A.K.A Singing Style
Cuddlebun
the first two aren't being creative, that's just making sure you don't ruin the song. A lot of the time your voice will naturally do that (or try to fall in the range you need to sing). The third's just whatevvv
Jarby

Haneii wrote:

There are 20+ contestants for the first round. Don't you think it'll be a little difficult for them to list/arrange entries from best to worst?
No, I think it's better to do it like that. Giving someone a 7 out of 10 would mean something different to every judge, in a way, you know what I mean? Just seems more reliable to do it like this so votes are all weighted the same.
Powerdrone
For the first round the judges could collectively choose the top 16 (or whatever number) together like they actually do on American Idol?
Sleep Powder

Todesengal wrote:

the first two aren't being creative, that's just making sure you don't ruin the song. A lot of the time your voice will naturally do that (or try to fall in the range you need to sing). The third's just whatevvv
So you're saying without it it would ruin the song?

Second statement...understandable.

Who knows what people could come up with for that...this is osu! idol not some Karaoke Revolution game where you just try to sing at the right pitch and timing.

Also judge scores...

Added or Averaged?
Kiddo-Kun
Why don't we do it like American idol >.<
Topic Starter
Haneii

animask wrote:

Creativity could also mean...

1 ) Changing the notes in the song to fit your voice.
2 ) This could also mean changing the lyrics a little
3 ) Any vocal additions can also be added to improve ( sometimes ruin ) the song
You don't have to absolutely change the song but just sing it in a way that only your voice can achieve.
A.K.A Singing Style

Haneii wrote:

Plus what if the judges don't know the original song. They wouldn't really know if you we're being creative or not

JarJarJacob wrote:

No, I think it's better to do it like that. Giving someone a 7 out of 10 would mean something different to every judge, in a way, you know what I mean? Just seems more reliable to do it like this so votes are all weighted the same.

Death_the_kid wrote:

Why don't we do it like American idol >.<
I guess I understand JarJarJacob.
Like American idol? Like this:

Powerdrone311 wrote:

For the first round the judges could collectively choose the top 16 (or whatever number) together

This sounds okay to me but I do have a question/problem with it. Wouldn’t the judges (going with this example) each have a different top 16? Unless all four of you can promise to meet up,discuss and collectively choose a top 16, I don’t see this working out too well. If you guys can meet up, then I’m all for this idea. It’s quick and simple.

>.< Less than two weeks to get this judging system perfected >.<
EEeee

rust45 wrote:

I might as well try this.

If I don't cough up an entry (which is what my singing will sound like) just disqualify me.
^ sign me up
show more