forum

osu! port for Linux using Mono?

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
I'll let you know. Might be quite close!
Espionage724
Any news about this?
Fenek Alfa

Espionage724 wrote:

Any news about this?
Yeah, It's needed even more now, since you can't install .NET 3.5 via winetricks anymore - you need to install .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 first, but 3.0 installer returns 404
SPOILER
Executing w_do_call dotnet30sp1
Executing load_dotnet30sp1
------------------------------------------------------
dotnet30sp1 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor.
Executing w_do_call dotnet30
Executing load_dotnet30
Executing w_do_call dotnet20
dotnet20 already installed, skipping
Installing .net 3.0 runtime takes 3 minutes on a very fast machine, and the Finished dialog may hide in the taskbar.
Executing mkdir -p /home/fenek/.cache/winetricks/dotnet30
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/F/0/3F0A922C-F239-4B9B-9CB0-DF53621C57D9/dotnetfx3.exe to /home/fenek/.cache/winetricks/dotnet30
--2013-09-15 10:15:34-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/F/0/3F0A922C-F239-4B9B-9CB0-DF53621C57D9/dotnetfx3.exe
Translacja download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)... 80.239.159.24, 80.239.159.9
Łączenie się z download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)|80.239.159.24|:80... połączono.
Żądanie HTTP wysłano, oczekiwanie na odpowiedź... 404 Not Found
2013-09-15 10:15:35 BŁĄD 404: Not Found.

Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/F/0/3F0A922C-F239-4B9B-9CB0-DF53621C57D9/dotnetfx3.exe failed
peppy
so change the link? come on now.
Espionage724

Fenek Alfa wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

Any news about this?
Yeah, It's needed even more now, since you can't install .NET 3.5 via winetricks anymore - you need to install .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 first, but 3.0 installer returns 404
SPOILER
Executing w_do_call dotnet30sp1
Executing load_dotnet30sp1
dotnet30sp1 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor.
Executing w_do_call dotnet30
Executing load_dotnet30
Executing w_do_call dotnet20
dotnet20 already installed, skipping
Installing .net 3.0 runtime takes 3 minutes on a very fast machine, and the Finished dialog may hide in the taskbar.
Executing mkdir -p /home/fenek/.cache/winetricks/dotnet30
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/F/0/3F0A922C-F239-4B9B-9CB0-DF53621C57D9/dotnetfx3.exe to /home/fenek/.cache/winetricks/dotnet30
--2013-09-15 10:15:34-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/F/0/3F0A922C-F239-4B9B-9CB0-DF53621C57D9/dotnetfx3.exe
Translacja download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)... 80.239.159.24, 80.239.159.9
Łączenie się z download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)|80.239.159.24|:80... połączono.
Żądanie HTTP wysłano, oczekiwanie na odpowiedź... 404 Not Found
2013-09-15 10:15:35 BŁĄD 404: Not Found.

Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/F/0/3F0A922C-F239-4B9B-9CB0-DF53621C57D9/dotnetfx3.exe failed
You don't need dotnet30 though. The new installer may complain you need it, but all you need is dotnet20 + osume.exe
ErunamoJAZZ
Try install .NET(2.0) without winetricks.

In debian jessie works (bad, but work).
kleps
Any news on mono version?
NovaS1X
I'll donate $100 the day Osu! comes to Linux natively.

Peppy; I'm a junior developer and sysadmin, is there anything I can do to help speed progress?
[Kitty]
I'd also like to know if there's been any progress with this. I've been playing osu! on Linux for months, but things are currently in a state where there's no way that I can coax my computer into getting it to run. (Tried various different ways using WINE, as well as PlayOnLinux.)

ErunamoJAZZ wrote:

And... LOL, with Wine is unplayable Hard and Insane maps xD!
Yet another thing I'd like to add emphasis to, when it worked for me, it worked for some slower beatmaps, but there's certain things in WINE that don't work as "native-like" as they should, like mouse tracking. So to say, if it worked well, we wouldn't be here talking about it. :P

I'd also be willing to throw my monies at the peppy if I can have osu! back on linux! :)
ErunamoJAZZ

[Kitty] wrote:

... willing to throw my monies at the peppy if I can have osu! back on linux! :)
If I had money, I would also xD

From what I've seen, the upgrade of the snow in December, we had quie install XNA with osu winethinks to run again.
That makes me think you may be doing peppy things to port XNA to work with monogame, which would be a good indication.

I also want someone who is on the development team give us any update. It misses.
Espionage724

ErunamoJAZZ wrote:

[Kitty] wrote:

... willing to throw my monies at the peppy if I can have osu! back on linux! :)
If I had money, I would also xD

From what I've seen, the upgrade of the snow in December, we had quie install XNA with osu winethinks to run again.
That makes me think you may be doing peppy things to port XNA to work with monogame, which would be a good indication.

I also want someone who is on the development team give us any update. It misses.
dotnet20sp2 is the requirement, which happened to be installed with xna31. So basically, I don't think the xna31 install helped at all.
Allyoutoo
Asked about it ~week ago and got a promising answer :)
Would love to see this before 2015 but some things take their time :)

https://twitter.com/pepppppy/status/426487990420922368
DrQwerty
Bump, because yes opengl mode won't work on wine.
Allyoutoo
So 4 months has passed and I was wondering if there is any news? There has been lot GUI changing updates and stuff and like year ago it was "building".. Would be awesome to get some alpha builds etc to try and play around with, would probably make development faster with more attention and testing then just peppy's private runs ^^
ErunamoJAZZ
the last news about it is... osu will be OpenSource.
Some of work has been done in recent months is to release the source code. You can read the changelog to see how things go.

ganbatte kudasai peppy and people of dev group!! :)
Allyoutoo
Thats just awesome news! :) I assume just the client side though?
xG0TH1Cx
so im sory to necro this thread, but do we have any updates? im a noob to coding, and somewhat to linux as well, but i love using linux, and i love OSU! as well, espcially OSU! Mania mode, so i would realy like to see an update,
GENDER BLENDER
*Bump*
Sorry about the bump, but I'm curious about what's happening right now. I've been pretty much waiting for this since the past two years, as I use Windows only for osu! ^_^
It'd really help if a native build is released. I've tried using Wine too, but it's kind of impossible to play intense stuff on a VM. The input lag becomes random after a certain strain level, and ar9.6+ is out of the question. Anyway, I'm happy to wait for as long as needed! At the same time, looking forward to updates on the current status, and hopefully we get to see a Linux port soon!

Good luck and kudos to the technical team!
GlitchedCode
Sorry to bump again, not trying to show impatience or anything like that.
Right now osu! on wine works almost perfectly for me, so i just want to let peppy and the team know i would be available in case linux builds of the game need testing. Right now i have two Xubuntu installations: 15.05 -the latest- for amd64 processors, and 14.04 -the latest LTS version- for x86 processors. I am also able to install Unity -Ubuntu's desktop environment- if that can be useful. I would be happy to help in any way with the process. Thanks for your attention.
Howl

GlitchedCode wrote:

Sorry to bump again, not trying to show impatience or anything like that.
Right now osu! on wine works almost perfectly for me, so i just want to let peppy and the team know i would be available in case linux builds of the game need testing. Right now i have two Xubuntu installations: 15.05 -the latest- for amd64 processors, and 14.04 -the latest LTS version- for x86 processors. I am also able to install Unity -Ubuntu's desktop environment- if that can be useful. I would be happy to help in any way with the process. Thanks for your attention.
If they're going to search for some testers, I think they'd share it to the public. Or if they're going to be in closed beta, I think they'd test it on their machines, as it's not so hard to get a Linux OS running (unless you don't want stuff to just work™ and instead use Arch Linux or gentoo).
emrea
And still waiting six years later :(