forum

[resolved] 1/8 beats on Taiko mode suggestion.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
ignorethis
Um... does this count as a bug? I don't think so, and I'd better post this suggestion here.

Recently I've tried out taiko mode, and I gained a fact from some conversations with professional taiko mode players that there are 1/8 notes in taiko mode that are almost impossible to FC(I've never tried on short ones before, but as for long ones people's fingers are impossible to follow the beats), and this leads to a failure. Examples can be marisa, kanbu, etc. To let more people enjoy taiko mode playing, I think this is definitely a problem worth considering. I'd suggest 1/8 notes be like in osu mode(just press the button continously and you'll pass)or make taiko mode recognise them as sliders(which doesn't fit for short ones i think).

If this has been mentioned somewhere else or does not fit for this forum, I apologise.
peppy
Having them convert to sliders could be an option.

Of course, marisa is a stupid example because it is near impossible to hit them even in osu! mode. Therefore it is the same relative difficulty in taiko (ie. I'm sure Cyclone wouldn't have a problem).

Let the discussion begin, I guess. Also if you have any other gripes about the automatic conversion to Taiko, bring them up now because once the scores get reset this isn't changing.
Cyclone
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ekaru
EDIT: Actually, I say just change 3 or more 1/8s in a row to a slider. That would work best IMO. 2 1/8s in a row is perfectly doable, like in DDR. If it's a slow BPM, you can get 3 1/8s off of the slider. If fast, two 1/4s. Makes sense to me. :P Support.
mm201
Maybe do this if there are more than 3 in a row. Something about psychology/movement makes your timing start to break up once there's more than 3 rapid hits in a row. iNis never went past 3 1/4s in a row in Ouendan maps.

4+ is also where they really begin to qualify as streams.
Ekaru
Except 1/8s are twice as fast as 1/4s, and that I can't think of any music game that has 1/8 streams on songs of a decent speed (AKA not really really slow). Taiko only goes up to 1/6 according to Rokodo. :P Since honestly, asking people to drum at 1/8 is silly. And yes, some people do use drums for Taiko mode on osu!. Heck, the Wii drum is supported. For the PS2 ones, you can use a converter and Joy2Key. Bam.

Let's not rule them out.

P.S. Is it just me, or are really fast BPMs capped out at 1/2 drumrolls, and not 1/4 drumrolls? I thought the highest cap was 1/4. http://osu.ppy.sh/s/6542 and http://osu.ppy.sh/s/6301 for examples. I can only go up to 1/2 on them. Even auto only goes up to 1/2, while it goes up to 1/4 on Small Fragments and other maps. Is that the case, or am I just sucking? Because only going up to 1/2 feels weird...
LuigiHann
I would love any situation that would result in more taiko drumrolls
anonymous_old
Instead of thinking 1/8, 1/4, etc. think clicks per second. 1/4 at 180 BPM is like ... 12 clicks per second? So anything 11 clicks per second or above for four or more clicks could be converted into a slider.

Disclaimer: I don't play Taiko.
Derekku
Moar drumrolls plz
crystalsuicune
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
aquabluu
1/8 should be drumrolls. I'm all for that idea. But then, it'd be a really short one, and with the current policy on drumrolls, you could hit them like only once. And that's not good.
Zekira

strager wrote:

Disclaimer: I don't play Taiko.
I bet this was intentional. But anyway...

Things with 1/8s aren't even meant for Taiko mod, so I think just leave them be lol, but I do agree somewhat since I think I had to try too many times to pass Marisa and finally get that #2 (I was aiming for #1, but I found it almost near impossible once I knew who was there -_-).

But well, there are some maps that just fit with 1/8s, and preferably those are maps with really low BPM (e.g. Sign of Hero Vision2-1 is still hittable)
mattyu007
I think there should be some kind of limit as to how many beats/sec are allowed before the beats are converted to drumrolls.

(Just as a side note, authentic Taiko "1/8" notes are actually 1/6)
Stefan
It rather seems impossible for now to make a concrete change about 1/8 note (streams) - which only appears in the not recommend convert beatmaps in Taiko mode. It'd also require a wipe of many beatmaps including 1/8 notes and/or streams and after six years nothing happened so far. Let's move this to rest.