forum

[resolved] Add 144hz to frame rate limiter

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +76
Topic Starter
LazzHaxx
Some players have a 144hz monitor and in the frame limit option there's only 60hz, 120hz and 240hz.
If possible please add 144hz to the option. Thanks
Nathanael
If many players have that kind of monitor, then its probably good to add it.
Mathsma
Make sure osu! is closed -> osu!directory -> osu!.(someNameHere).cfg -> ctrl+f "CustomFrameLimit" -> set to 144 and save -> open osu!, go to options, Frame Limit and select 144.

You could also use the vsync to force it to run 144hz. The better option is to not use vsync and set your fps to the highest it can run stable. I use 512 because with unlimited it can range from 700~1500 and 512 is the only limit that doesn't make it spike over 500 because the frame limiter on osu! is weird, it doesn't really cap on the number you set it to. When you run higher fps, the game has less input latency. 480fps is ~2ms latency, 240 is ~4ms, and so on.
Kurogamii
144Hz, 60Hz, etc. is refresh rate, not frame rate
they are different
FrzR
144hz rates seemed rare for me. But it could be a good addition I think. >.>
IppE

Mathsma wrote:

Make sure osu! is closed -> osu!directory -> osu!.(someNameHere).cfg -> ctrl+f "CustomFrameLimit" -> set to 144 and save -> open osu!, go to options, Frame Limit and select 144.

You could also use the vsync to force it to run 144hz. The better option is to not use vsync and set your fps to the highest it can run stable. I use 512 because with unlimited it can range from 700~1500 and 512 is the only limit that doesn't make it spike over 500 because the frame limiter on osu! is weird, it doesn't really cap on the number you set it to. When you run higher fps, the game has less input latency. 480fps is ~2ms latency, 240 is ~4ms, and so on.
Too bad the framerate limiter is apparently coded by a monkey and never works properly. For example, with 120fps limit I get 150fps, with 240fps limit I get 330fps etc.
Marcin
Uh, doesn't vsync go along with monitor refresh rate?...
Coffee Hero

Marcin wrote:

yeaa
Nintyboy245

Marcin wrote:

It does, but osu's Vsync is silly and limits to 60Hz no matter what. I have a 144Hz monitor myself and i have to use 240 limit because vsync still limits to 60fps.
TheVileOne

Nintyboy245 wrote:

Marcin wrote:

It does, but osu's Vsync is silly and limits to 60Hz no matter what. I have a 144Hz monitor myself and i have to use 240 limit because vsync still limits to 60fps.
This is incorrect behavior if that is the case. Vsync should always use the same fps as the hertz of the monitor. It just wont show that value on the selection option. Perhaps vsync only works for hertz under 120.
EIIie
I Hope this gets added in I hate when there is screen tearing, I've done all I can do as far as votes go hope this passes:)
Tom94
VSync (along with much more high frame rate support) is fixed on the cutting edge release stream. You can switch to it in the options if you want to try. ;)
EIIie
I actually didn't know about this since I use stable :p but I'd still like a dedicated option because as far as I understand Vsync adds input lag? Regardless thank you for working so hard Tom :)
Tom94
VSync doesn't add any more input lag than a frame limiter of the same rate unless you have your graphics card configured to pre-render frames. That being said, ONLY vsync can avoid tearing while in fullscreen mode. A frame limiter - even if it matches your screen's refresh rate - will still end up with tearing since it's not perfectly in sync with the screen and gradually shifts due to timing inaccuracies.

If you still want this dedicated frame limiter, read Mathma's post in this thread. They describe how to achieve a custom frame limiter with any frame rate.
PieInOblivion

Marcin wrote:

Yeah it should. But in the case it doesn't for Osu! for some reason?

Nintyboy245 wrote:

There is a way to do this yourself without using Osu!, such as Nvidia Control Panel can set it I'm pretty sure,

Heres a suggestion I found somewhere else:
"you may need to install the .inf files for your monitor."

A question, does windows think your monitors Refresh Rate is 144Hz? Because that can sometimes be caused by Windows being set to 60, it will instantly assume its the big smartarse around and tell every other program to lock as 60fps
fb39ca4
I would like to see being able to type in any number for the frame limiter in the GUI. I have a 72Hz monitor, so I'd like to set the limiter to a multiple of that. It works from the config files, so it shouldn't be too hard to add to the GUI.