forum

A serious and mature discussion about the new forum design.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aurani
So why don't we just migrate to another forum, just like B1rd suggested? I mean, there is nothing really stopping us from doing so.... at least the majority of OT that doesn't play this game or is going to miss its shitty ill-mannered children.
Yuudachi-kun
I have them?
Railey2

Aurani wrote:

So why don't we just migrate to another forum, just like B1rd suggested? I mean, there is nothing really stopping us from doing so.... at least the majority of OT that doesn't play this game or is going to miss its shitty ill-mannered children.
off to the realms of Myanimelist !
Aurani
But isn't MAL also chock full of children, but this time those who properly failed at life and are even more cancerous know-it-alls? :p

Well regardless, I couldn't believe what I was reading when I went to the Dev subforum and read peppy's post. Jesus bloody Christ, he doesn't have a spec of professionalism or rational critical thinking. He's behaving like a child that has been insulted and can't fight back in any other way, except yelling and swearing.

His current design is shit and he should feel like shit.
>Infinite scrolling is here to stay.
Yeah, let's ignore every person who is over 20 years old and knows something about site designs and just listen to the masses of children glued at the new design because of its looks like flies that are attracted to feces. Oh yeah, you're going somewhere with it, mate.

It's even more pathetic that I'd write all of that to him personally, but he'd just ban me indefinitely, not because I'm cocky, but because I'm right. He can do whatever he wants after I take my leave, though.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
for once i passionately agree with aurani
Yuudachi-kun
Peppy's feedback threads are just an illusion to give people the sense that he's listening, wants to listen, or cares to listen. He knows full well he's going to do what he wants to do no matter what anyone says. I'd appreciate it more if he acted more like himself and said "Fuck you here's what's going to happen no discussion ever."
Aurani
He has to delicately fuck everyone over, because even if all those children love him, they have a very, very short attention span, and telling them to fuck themselves would mean burning their money and not raking it for yourself. He can't part with his money, mate.
Yuudachi-kun

Aurani wrote:

He has to delicately fuck everyone over, because even if all those children love him, they have a very, very short attention span, and telling them to fuck themselves would mean burning their money and not raking it for yourself. He can't part with his money, mate.
And his usual peppy responses are for what? I guess no one reads them or something?
Aurani
No one usually gives a fuck about his opinions, yes.

I'd think that a lowly local mod has more "authority" than him at this point.
Granger
So peppys childish behaviour aside... what do you actually think of the whole thing? Do you agree with what i've said in that thread? Kinda feel like discussing about website design right now.
Railey2

Granger wrote:

So peppys childish behaviour aside... what do you actually think of the whole thing? Do you agree with what i've said in that thread? Kinda feel like discussing about website design right now.
I agree that the spacey design that is supposed to look "simple and modern", is only suitable for smartphones.
For PC its way too bulky, a waste. There are too many colors (irritates), and the white is way more aggressive than the light gray thats used for the current forum.

Overall: 2/10, would not use.
Aurani
My whole problem is that the new one is made to be flashy and subliminally trying to make you support the game, whilst having no real purpose. Its colour scheme is shit, as the titles of topics/subforums and the background colours clash in such a way that they make it look all so confusing to a new user (in other words, it's not a simplified version like you said, but more like a needlessly complex design), the font is goddamn cancer because it doesn't go with that kind of design and I shouldn't even mention the damn infinite scrolling - that alone is enough to break the deal when it comes to me.

TL;DR - You know when someone has great potential, a large enough income to fund the idea, and then makes a complete bloody mess that could only be described as otherworldly in terms of idiocy and sheer shitness? Yes, that is exactly how this new site came into being.
Topic Starter
Vuelo Eluko
p/4592030

that guy is so about to be banned :(
Railey2
ok hang on aren't there pages anymore? Whats with this infinite scrolling, am I missing something here?
Aurani
Go there and see for yourself. There are no pages, no. Just scrolling.
Granger

Railey2 wrote:

There are too many colors (irritates)
Honestly? Thats not what im noticing unless you're specifically talking about the index. Thinking about it, yeah, the index could be less colorful to stay in line with the other pages on the forum, but its not a point that particulary borthers or even irritates me.

Aurani wrote:

I shouldn't even mention the damn infinite scrolling - that alone is enough to break the deal when it comes to me.
I think infinite scrolling does hold some potential (its nice if you just want to read post after post) if you manage to avoid memoyleaks and support it with proper navigation tools, making the user scroll and scroll and scroll is unacceptable. Of course, thats easier said than done...
Forgoing pagiation is a nono for forums, at the bare minimum you need pseudo pages at least, even if those "pages" are not actually their own website page.

Again color wise its okay in my books, the background is gray which is pretty neutral - it doesnt clash with any colors. What DOES clash however is the pink banner.

This is nasty. This and the radiating white is why the forum hurts my eyes, not the overal color sheme.
abraker

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/4592030
If he is not being sarcastic, burn him on a stake
Bweh
The design itself doesn't look so bad. It's really nice from the main index up until you get to the forum sections and threads. Things get a bit too bare and narrow there. I particularly dislike the idea of having the OP wider and all subsequent replies narrower. A lot of functions, like replying and scrolling, feel pretty unintuitive. Userpages need some hierarchy going on in there as they're very disorganized.

Compared to the current color scheme, we are dealing with a lot more contrast, yeah. The top portion is just plain weird; especially having that pink banner extend throughout the whole page while being met by such a narrow layout.

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/4592030

The post below yours gives brown-nosing a new meaning.
Yuudachi-kun
Soner has a nice style.
Rilene
I like it better when it looks modern and simple, but the new design isn't simple enough because lots of triangle.
Bweh
Also, not a fan of that green
Granger
Rilene: Let me guess, you browse the web on a iPhone?
Rilene
No Android users?
Railey2

Granger wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

There are too many colors (irritates)
Honestly? Thats not what im noticing unless you're specifically talking about the index. Thinking about it, yeah, the index could be less colorful to stay in line with the other pages on the forum, but its not a point that particulary borthers or even irritates me.
I was talking about the index. I like me some unity.

Aurani wrote:

Go there and see for yourself. There are no pages, no. Just scrolling.
yeeeaah fuck that. I went there and just wondered if I missed something. This is the opposite of user-friendly, when the threads get bigger than 3 pages. Have fun clicking on this search-item thingie and then manually typing in to what post you want to skip.

Edit: apparently, clicking on the tiny arrow below the post number did the trick. Took a bit to figure that one out though, maybe I'm just too used to the pages-design.
Rilene

Granger wrote:

Rilene: Let me guess, you browse the web on a iPhone?
Nope, only on Android, the page scrolling was annoying though.
Granger

Railey2 wrote:

Edit: apparently, clicking on the tiny arrow below the post number did the trick. Took a bit to figure that one out though, maybe I'm just too used to the pages-design.
Did the trick? Unless peppy actually listened to me those just jump to the first/last post.

Rilene wrote:

Nope, only on Android, the page scrolling was annoying though.
Android - iPhone - whatever mobile, doesnt matter, the point is, this design is explicitly something that looks like its made for mobile. As such its rather out of place on desktop, but i could see myself liking the design if id be browssing on a mobile.
Aurani
All in all, an unnecessary decision, since it didn't do jack shit, really.

Like I said, whoever designed that new site (even multiple people) is a talented man, but on par with a blind bum when it comes to merging different components and rationalising elements. It just looks so forcefully flashy and unintuitive that I'd rather gouge my eyes out than look at that abomination.

If you take the most beautiful legs in the world and stitch them together with the most beautiful torso of another person, the most beautiful arms of yet another person et cetera et cetera, you will NOT get the most beautiful person that ever existed; instead, you will make a Frankenstein, at best.
Railey2

Granger wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

Did the trick? Unless peppy actually listened to me those just jump to the first/last post.
well yeah, thats a navigation tool that gets me right where I want to be: Where the new stuff is happening. And that with only one click, arguably even faster than with the pages-layout. Not too bad if you ask me.
Zelda
I feel like someone should mention HOW FUCKING RIDICULOUSLY HUGE everything is with this new "design". Let's take a look at Granger's post on the current site, for example:

Whoa cool, you can fit more than one post on a standard 1080p screen ! But then there's this piece of shit:

Oversized shitty header, way too much space between lines, and a larger fontsize for... What reason ? Fuck. I'm not even going to get started on how godawful an idea infinite scrolling is for a goddamn forum.
Aurani
Finally we agree on something entirely.
Gumpy

Zelda wrote:

I feel like someone should mention HOW FUCKING RIDICULOUSLY HUGE everything is with this new "design".
Yuudachi-kun
Peppy will probably tell you "Oh you can make the page size smaller so it's a non issue"
Gumpy
"you can use the zoom feature in your browser so it's a non issue" or something is what I imagine, but way more rude.
IppE

Granger wrote:

>Feedback thread
>Posts extensive review detailing my issues with the design and how id fix it
>Gets insulted by peppy
classic peppy. Never changes.
Remember when peppy changed how skins work without a warning and insisted that it didn't change anything ingame. It took a few top lever players saying he is bullshitting before he even admitted that it did actually change things. He never fixed it though.
Granger
Zelda
He probably thinks he's the next Steve Jobs tbh
Railey2

Granger wrote:

you know I wonder what is better: Being dealt with in this ridiculing and condescending fashion, or getting ignored completely. At least he is reading it. Some people just don't give a shit from the get-go, but he doesn't seem to be one of these people (or else he wouldn't spend so much effort on reading and replying to you + theres no point in faking interest if you don't give a shit) - he's not indifferent. I just wish he'd handle it more like an adult, your post really deserved a better answer
IppE

Railey2 wrote:

you know I wonder what is better: Being dealt with in this ridiculing and condescending fashion, or getting ignored completely. At least he is reading it. Some people just don't give a shit from the get-go, but he doesn't seem to be one of these people (or else he wouldn't spend so much effort on reading and replying to you + theres no point in faking interest if you don't give a shit) - he's not indifferent. I just wish he'd handle it more like an adult, your post really deserved a better answer
You must be new here.
Aurani
Cyclohexane

Granger wrote:

>Feedback thread
>Posts extensive review detailing my issues with the design and how id fix it
>Gets insulted by peppy
classic peppy. Never changes.

I mean, I don't think you should ever expect anything else. I loved the "turn down your brightness settings" comment too. Next thing you know someone's gonna criticize the color scheme and he'll tell them to use custom CSS
show more