forum

Use an e-drum set on Taiko. [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +19
Topic Starter
dalaranman
I would really like if you would make it possible for people to use an e-drum set to play Taiko. It is no problem with the keyboard, but i think it would be a lot of fun for me and my friends to be able to use the drumset or other extern devices like gamepads. you have the option to use Wiimote or TaTaCon drums, but none for e-drums. i hope you will listen to my idea and use it.

Beat on!
-DAL

blissfulyoshi edit: Denying because this feature request it much better solved by external software.
Randy96
Use some program (forget the name) to have the buttons correspond to the keyboard.
Topic Starter
dalaranman
I have tried, but it has a delay of around 0,3 sec, which is crucial for the more difficult beatmaps,
Jinxy
Edit your universal offset to offset that?
Topic Starter
dalaranman

JInxyjem wrote:

i have no idea how to do that,
MMzz

dalaranman wrote:

JInxyjem wrote:

i have no idea how to do that,

Options -> Audio Tab -> Universal offset is at the bottom. ;33
Zekira
But I can play with my gamepad just fine with almost the same delay as I have with the keyboard...

...but I must admit that there are some asdfghjkl; going on when I try to play with gamepad.
Topic Starter
dalaranman
well, thanks for that info ;3 but that only answered a almost irrelevant part of my question, e-drums? all the programs i have tried to use only support gamepads but no e-drums, so i'm basically sttill stuck -.-
awp
http://puu.sh/JN

This sort of answers your question. Okay the photo doesn't actually speak for itself, so I will: that's my taiko rig. The drums are a set of Roland V-Drums with a TD-03 module and four PD-8 pads. Using a standard 5 dollar MIDI cable, I've connected the Rolands to an old GHWT drum kit (which you can't see in this picture, just trust that it's there) and mapped the MIDI signals to the GHWT joystick buttons (I think 3 of the MIDI codes GHWT uses are 30, 38 and 48). You don't need to use a GHWT drum set; any midi adapter will work. I just happened to have it.

Anyhow, the drums send codes to the GHWT kit when the drums are hit, and that sends a signal to my laptop, which is where the GHWT drums are plugged into. Using joy2key, a free and easy-to-use key mapper, I just translate the joypad signals into standard keyboard presses (zxcv). Once you've got that set up, you can pretty much use it to control anything.

But thanks to GHWT using laggy wireless technology, I've had to set my UAO to like -180ms to compensate for the input lag. Using a male-to-male headphone jack, I've sent the laptop sound to my drums' headset, so I can get feedback from my drums while playing the music in osu!. Simply disable the sound effects via the options menu and you're good to go.

I'm pretty sure I made this sound far more complicated than it is.
Topic Starter
dalaranman

awp wrote:

http://puu.sh/JN

This sort of answers your question. Okay the photo doesn't actually speak for itself, so I will: that's my taiko rig. The drums are a set of Roland V-Drums with a TD-03 module and four PD-8 pads. Using a standard 5 dollar MIDI cable, I've connected the Rolands to an old GHWT drum kit (which you can't see in this picture, just trust that it's there) and mapped the MIDI signals to the GHWT joystick buttons (I think 3 of the MIDI codes GHWT uses are 30, 38 and 48). You don't need to use a GHWT drum set; any midi adapter will work. I just happened to have it.

Anyhow, the drums send codes to the GHWT kit when the drums are hit, and that sends a signal to my laptop, which is where the GHWT drums are plugged into. Using joy2key, a free and easy-to-use key mapper, I just translate the joypad signals into standard keyboard presses (zxcv). Once you've got that set up, you can pretty much use it to control anything.

But thanks to GHWT using laggy wireless technology, I've had to set my UAO to like -180ms to compensate for the input lag. Using a male-to-male headphone jack, I've sent the laptop sound to my drums' headset, so I can get feedback from my drums while playing the music in osu!. Simply disable the sound effects via the options menu and you're good to go.

I'm pretty sure I made this sound far more complicated than it is.
well, that would work, but i can't. my set only has USB :/ i guess 'll have to dream on about having fun -.-''
awp
if it has usb then it saves you time. Just plug it in directly and use it as a joystick?
Topic Starter
dalaranman
that's what i've been trying to say this whole time it doesn't work
awp
did you say what signals it sends to the PC when you plug it in? I read the thread once and didn't see anything on the subject.
Topic Starter
dalaranman
there comes a duh duh sound for connection, but i dunno what kind of connection it is,
awp
Go to Control Panel > Game Controllers. It should be listed there. From there, you can go to properties and find out what drums correspond with what buttons, and it's smooth sailing from there.
Topic Starter
dalaranman
it doesn't show up, it's a drum kit, not a game pad,
awp
then in that case you probably have to install drivers/software from the vendor
Topic Starter
dalaranman
dammit there is none as far as i know, ah well,