forum

Force disable Letterbox from Song Setup on all maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
TicClick
It caught my attention that nearly all standard mode maps disable letterboxing during the breaks: no one wants to have the background cut. Why not completely abandon this option, then? I personally can't think of a scenario where it would have any real use.

I don't really know anything about the rest of game modes, but I think they don't need letterboxing as well. Now, post your pros and cons, please!

EDIT: best option so far is:

TheVileOne wrote:

..It needs to be a Visual Settings in order to avoid breaking already set beatmap settings.

Letterboxing disabled = disables letterboxing always
Letterboxing enabled = enables letterboxing even for maps when it's disabled on maps.

Either option breaks what was originally intended for the map.
riffy
Haven't seen a single mapset where it was necessary recently. I'd support.
TheVileOne
If people didn't want letterboxing in their map, then why don't they uncheck the letterbox option. Why aren't modders suggesting to uncheck it?
Topic Starter
TicClick
Point being, it nearly always gets unchecked, unless forgotten. Meanwhile there are maps that could only benefit from un-letterboxing, but — oh! — they are ranked already.
riffy

TheVileOne wrote:

If people didn't want letterboxing in their map, then why don't they uncheck the letterbox option. Why aren't modders suggesting to uncheck it?

Should be self-explanatory.
TheVileOne
How about I remove the option disable and uncheck it by default? This seems better than removing it.
Topic Starter
TicClick
That may work, but why not move it to, for example, osu! gameplay settings section, instead of allowing it to be toggled on a per map basis?
Again, to me letterboxing sounds like something a user would want to control.
TheVileOne
I really don't mind letter-boxing. It is still pleasing to look like on some maps. I don't think I agree with allowing it for every map or none of them approach. If I can get it into Visual Settings then an option for it will be considered.
Bara-
What is it even used for?
I know it cuts the BG's top and bottom but is there any need for it?
Why not allow people to set that themselves (instead of the mapper) as already said here?
That works for better for all older maps
TheVileOne
I don't mind giving an option for this. Although it needs to be a Visual Settings in order to avoid breaking already set beatmap settings.

Letterboxing disabled = disables letterboxing always
Letterboxing enabled = enables letterboxing even for maps when it's disabled on maps.

Either option breaks what was originally intended for the map. Letterboxing is only force enabled for maps with storyboards for reasons I don't know. It's been like this ever since widescreen was supported.
Topic Starter
TicClick
Yeah, both in visual settings and somewhere in "General", because every option from fun spoiler can also be toggled for all maps.
Wafu

Bakari wrote:

Should be self-explanatory.
As far as I saw in my maps, even if that is being ticked but locked, it doesn't really use the letterboxing.

Bakari wrote:

Haven't seen a single mapset where it was necessary recently. I'd support.
But yeah, I agree with this completely.
Also I think its usage in pauses could be very rare and would probably always result in better look if mappers did it through storyboard, I haven't seen any map with good usage of this, so I would probably abandon it completely. For SB effects, manual letterbox will be just enough, mainly because every difficulty has different requirement for break length, so it would be inconsistent within diffs if used as a visual effect, so it literally has no real usage.
Aka
sometimes letterboxing makes backgroud look even better. i am using it for my next app map and used for my 2 already ranked maps because i really liked how it looks. thus unchecking it by default sounds better i think. if people like me really need this option, they can go and tick it
XinCrin
I'm okay with uncheck it by default
Shohei Ohtani

Baraatje123 wrote:

What is it even used for?
I know it cuts the BG's top and bottom but is there any need for it?
Why not allow people to set that themselves (instead of the mapper) as already said here?
That works for better for all older maps
History lesson.

So osu! is a PC port of the game Osu! Takatae! Ouedan! (or something like that), known internationally as Elite Beat Agents. Every map in this game had a storylined storyboard. When these stories were displayed during breaks, they had little cutscenes, that were letterboxed. Letterboxing, because of this, was included in the game to make it as authentic as possible.

This is the best example of what I'm talking about: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/24133&m=0

Anyways, support for having it default off. same with having countdowns default off.