forum

some questions about sliders in the .osu format

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
maboesanman
I'm making a replay viewing program, and I'm running into trouble with sliders.

there seem to be 4 different kinds of sliders as opposed to the wiki's two mentioned.

L - linear
B - bezier
C - catmul?
P - ????

I'm wondering what P is, and what degree of bezier curve (quadratic/cubic/etc...), and what the catmul curve equations are.

also, how are these rendered? it seems highly nontrivial to me. does osu! just draw a bunch of circles centered on the curve?

thanks.
]fice
I analyzed the .osu file format myself and it seemed to me that the value (talking about L / B / C / P) can be ignored.

I used the amount of control points for the calculation. Up to four control points, its a trivial bezier curve, afterwards, the calculation is fucked up a little (my mashed up code delivered results veryclose to the curves drawn by osu!). However, I'm sure the original, strict calculation is easier and clean. If you desperately want to, I can try to explain my approach.

I hope curves are not rendered with stacked circles, because thats pretty much the most ineffizient way to draw curves (too many unnecessary points are calculated). The line segments are commonly represented by a triangle strip.
euphyy_old
Feel free to use opsu/objects/curves, opsu/objects/Slider.java, and opsu/render if they're of any help.
Topic Starter
maboesanman
thanks everyone, I'll look into these suggestions!