forum

Yoko Kanno - The Real Folk Blues

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
m980
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, 14 April 2010 at 7:59:19 PM

Artist: Yoko Kanno
Title: The Real Folk Blues
Source: Cowboy Bebop
BPM: 160.03
Filesize: 4930kb
Play Time: 03:06
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.04 stars, 143 notes)
  2. Hard (4.14 stars, 270 notes)
  3. Normal (2.3 stars, 192 notes)
Download: Yoko Kanno - The Real Folk Blues
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
One of the winning maps of the second official osu! Beatmap Contest.

Also lesjuh's winning map: s/14912
And his other one: s/14913
Sallad4ever
I have to say
Sir, Your slider's are beautifull :)
Especially on the hard diff :oops:

Great Map N Congratz
Here's You Star~
Jarby
Bad timing and no kiai make me sad.

Easy:

These difficulty settings are ridiculous. Does HP drain really need to be that lenient?
00:55:908 (2,3,4) - Should be vertically aligned with the next slider's start point.
03:05:661 (1) - This is the only difficulty with a note at this time. Odd.
03:06:411 (1) - Hi why is there no finish.

Normal:

03:06:411 (1) - Hi why is there no finish.
aRiskOfRain
Brilliant. Just one suggestion - could you change the 3 note stacks on Normal to a triangle pattern, perhaps?
Topic Starter
m980

DiamondCrash wrote:

Brilliant. Just one suggestion - could you change the 3 note stacks on Normal to a triangle pattern, perhaps?
Nah.
Takuma
Resubmit? It still requires an update.
Jarby
So I noticed you fixed some things.
0_o
Every diff
01:10:718 - I know it's supposed to match the other sections, but the circles/endpoints here really feel like they are 1/2 early.
03:04:723 - ^

Also Easy really does have difficult patterns/spacing for the easiest difficulty (00:18:032 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - for instance), and if you weren't m980 and this map didn't win a mapping contest I would be all over that stuff.

But you are, and it did, so we both know there isn't much point.

:/

Nice map though.
Topic Starter
m980

0_o wrote:

Every diff
01:10:718 - I know it's supposed to match the other sections, but the circles/endpoints here really feel like they are 1/2 early.
03:04:723 - ^
I don't like where it is if it's really 1/2 too early. It feels right where it is for me.

Also Easy really does have difficult patterns/spacing for the easiest difficulty (00:18:032 (1,2,3,4,5,6) - for instance), and if you weren't m980 and this map didn't win a mapping contest I would be all over that stuff.
I don't see how it's hard at all.
DeathxShinigami
Cool stuff.
gyt
good map, as always
awp
Oh yeah that's right awp is modding a song

[Easy]
00:14:845 (1) - This was the first note I 100'd, and though several others would follow this timing, it threw me off pretty much every time. Oddly enough though on a second play I didn't 100 the 1/2-beat leads until halfway through the song. It's a bit dangerous, but I grew into them pretty quickly. I don't know what to do about it, so I'm just gonna leave it be.

01:37:907 (3) - The reason this sounds like it's ending early is because it's playing part of the sax but not all of it. I see what you're going with but it still sounds odd. Stretching it an extra half note has that familiar sound to it and feels less jarring than it would be when breaking the pattern set up at 01:31:907 (3). It's not a make or break situation so I've not got any demands, but I think the slider sounds better with the extra 1/2 beat.

01:54:041-ish - This break feels way out of place. Just...mid verse. Throws me off. I think you could get away without one here at all, but if you wanted a break, I'd put it during the spinner, starting around 02:15:422. It's much shorter that way, but I don't feel as though it fits anywhere else. I blame the lack of bridges in this cut of the song.

02:42:387 (3) - I like the HitFinish usage starting from this point.

[Normal]
Whatever I pointed about in Easy that is consistent with Normal (I think it's just the break) applies to Normal without re-iteration.

02:42:387 (4,5,6,7,8) - This is a really awesome pattern and a great example of creating an original but intuitive pattern that doesn't parallel the song, but compliment it. I'd love to see this kind of creativity elsewhere, and more often.

02:54:411 (4) - Dodgy on this. Sounds like it should be snapped to the beat of the former timing point at 02:54:387. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense on paper, but sounds more correct to me by ear =|

[Hard]
This difficulty is a winner. It even uses a deathstream effectively i.e. it doesn't feel like you just ran out of ideas. Nothing felt bad and nit-picking is dumb

Yeah overall, idk what to say. Wishful thinking would be that you apply the magic in [Normal] at 02:42:387 (4,5,6,7,8) elsewhere, but to be more descriptive would probably kill the map and is fruitless anyway you clearly know what you're doing
mm201
Please lower the volume by around 30% or so. The hitsounds are too loud and drown out the music.

I will edit some more mods into this post later. Please do not Kudosu this until you see them.
Xgor
osb haunts this map :< remove it and full submit.

[Easy]
While there is no technical problems, the spacing/slider velocity felt way too hard for the easiest difficulty on such a calm song :|

[Normal]
Yet again, it felt too fast for the song :|
00:34:904 (1,2,3) - This part doesn't make sense to me as it is right now. I think is better if you add a circle at 00:35:279 and move the slider 1/2 forward on the time-line and make it 1/2 shorter
02:42:387 (4,5,6,7,8) and 02:54:411 (4,5,6,7,8) - Felt kinda confusing compared to the rest of the map...

[Hard]
My favorite of the 3 difficulites
01:12:405 (4) - (Suggestion) move this 1/2 back on the time-line and make it 1/2 longer

Aside from the way too fast sliders it was good so here's a star for this winner.
*star*
Topic Starter
m980

awp wrote:

Oh yeah that's right awp is modding a song

[Easy]
00:14:845 (1) - This was the first note I 100'd, and though several others would follow this timing, it threw me off pretty much every time. Oddly enough though on a second play I didn't 100 the 1/2-beat leads until halfway through the song. It's a bit dangerous, but I grew into them pretty quickly. I don't know what to do about it, so I'm just gonna leave it be.
I could have a note either here, or one whole beat later to avoid the map feeling empty. It feels better here than it does later.

01:37:907 (3) - The reason this sounds like it's ending early is because it's playing part of the sax but not all of it. I see what you're going with but it still sounds odd. Stretching it an extra half note has that familiar sound to it and feels less jarring than it would be when breaking the pattern set up at 01:31:907 (3). It's not a make or break situation so I've not got any demands, but I think the slider sounds better with the extra 1/2 beat.
Ending it 1/2 later makes it sound weird to me. I like how it is right now anyway >.>

01:54:041-ish - This break feels way out of place. Just...mid verse. Throws me off. I think you could get away without one here at all, but if you wanted a break, I'd put it during the spinner, starting around 02:15:422. It's much shorter that way, but I don't feel as though it fits anywhere else. I blame the lack of bridges in this cut of the song.
I don't want to make major changes. In other words, I would like the ranked version to be almost the same as the version being judged.

02:42:387 (3) - I like the HitFinish usage starting from this point. >.>

[Normal]
Whatever I pointed about in Easy that is consistent with Normal (I think it's just the break) applies to Normal without re-iteration.

02:42:387 (4,5,6,7,8) - This is a really awesome pattern and a great example of creating an original but intuitive pattern that doesn't parallel the song, but compliment it. I'd love to see this kind of creativity elsewhere, and more often.
>.>

02:54:411 (4) - Dodgy on this. Sounds like it should be snapped to the beat of the former timing point at 02:54:387. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense on paper, but sounds more correct to me by ear =|
I'll see what other people think.

[Hard]
This difficulty is a winner. It even uses a deathstream effectively i.e. it doesn't feel like you just ran out of ideas. Nothing felt bad and nit-picking is dumb

Yeah overall, idk what to say. Wishful thinking would be that you apply the magic in [Normal] at 02:42:387 (4,5,6,7,8) elsewhere, but to be more descriptive would probably kill the map and is fruitless anyway you clearly know what you're doing

Xgor wrote:

osb haunts this map :< remove it and full submit.
Does it really matter?

[Easy]
While there is no technical problems, the spacing/slider velocity felt way too hard for the easiest difficulty on such a calm song :| Ehhhh..

[Normal]
Yet again, it felt too fast for the song :|
00:34:904 (1,2,3) - This part doesn't make sense to me as it is right now. I think is better if you add a circle at 00:35:279 and move the slider 1/2 forward on the time-line and make it 1/2 shorter No
02:42:387 (4,5,6,7,8) and 02:54:411 (4,5,6,7,8) - Felt kinda confusing compared to the rest of the map... You can easily see the slider repeat. How is this confusing in the least?

[Hard]
My favorite of the 3 difficulites
01:12:405 (4) - (Suggestion) move this 1/2 back on the time-line and make it 1/2 longer Nah

Aside from the way too fast sliders it was good so here's a star for this winner.
The sliders I used are the slowest out of all my recent maps. I could easily bump it up to 2.40 but that would be retarded.
*star*
Diasios
[Mod Infos]

Azure: Suggestions.
Blue: You should fix this.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

[General]

• • Delete the osb
    • Countdown Speed: Half Speed

• Add some tags
[Easy]

• • 01:17:279 (2) - Move this circle here 01:17:654 (white tick)
[Normal]

• • 00:33:592 (4) - Move this circle here 00:33:779 (white tick)
LuigiHann
Good stuff. One of the few contest entries where I could actually pass all difficulties :(
Andrea
Let's rank this one too. All the winning maps are now...

Ranked~