forum

In-Game Currency in Osu! : Beats!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +50
show more
quaternary
You already earn/lose rank and PP and ranked score and accuracy and whatnot. I would love currency, but it's already somewhat confusing trying to juggle all of my stats. I would like less not more ;) The extended chat cards are already crowded enough as well, and I'm sure i would like to see everyone's money there too, but it doesn't fit :(

In short, good idea, hard to actually attach to osu! in a non-stupid way
Myke B

Supergamer087 wrote:

No....just no. The fact of currency can just end up leading to some kids having gambling problems...lel but it all seriousness what I like about osu is the fact there isn't some sort of factor like this where i'll have to play for a certain ammount of time or buy real momey to get benefits. I enjoy osu's system as it is right now, plus Supporter status exists for a reason to sperate those who play for free from those who help support osu. If you get some of these perks just for making in-game currency it could take away from the benefits of being a supporter.
I believe everything he listed was for fun, and nothing HAD to be bought into except for tournaments or something (which makes sense). If I read correctly, it's all for fun, and it's not like a legitament currency.
Topic Starter
momo1478
Guys! I'm not talking about paid currency, I'm talking about money you get from just playing the game!
Topic Starter
momo1478

Kurokami wrote:

The players are free to start tourneys even w/o this feature. And how do you want to prevent the misuse? I mean currently its possible to do some new acc (altough forbidden) and you only need to score some records to be able to add it to your first account. Therefore you can get infinite amounts of "Beets" and you can buy anything with it. And also this is like a free supporter for every higher player since they can get many after only 1 play. And I'm not sure if its a good idea. On the other hand if this will works like the current pp then nobody will ever get enough to pay and still easy to farm.

I think its not a bad idea but needs some cleaning and also a stuff needs to agree with it. There is many aspect what you didn't covered with your post. Try to cover everything in order to get this implemented (or at least you only get a chance after it).
Sorry for the double post, but I'm not getting you. Tournaments are usually pointless without a prize ( or a prize that means something), and I don't see how you can abuse this. Sure my "algorithm" on acquiring beats isn't good by any means but I'm sure someone could come up with a better one that rewards skill over time/farming abilities. And I'm not saying that we should get supporter (and if so not by any easy means), I'm saying that little extra privilleges would be nice but I'm not even expecting that. The currency, just having it, triggers a human psychology for material needs. People will want these even if they have no particular use XD. I'm just saying it would be nice. The one on flash flash revolution is a little too inflated. But I'm sure something could happen here...
Kayla
this seems pointless
Kurokami
Tourneys always have a prize (usually supporter) so I don't know why something like this should exist as a reward.
Using for extra privileges maybe good but still hard to follow. If you just want this as an extra thing which should go up like the pp system works now then the answer is simple NO. Please try to work out something which should be usable with this.

For example:

1. In a match if you lose you lose "Beats" according to your place and the first one gets them. Well, this will prevents players to go in multiplayer but still its possible to add one more button which can turn of this system easily.

2. You can "buy" some feature like Country Ranking with this for a month if you have enough but to be a limit you can buy more than 2 feature at once. And they must be small ones (Country ranking, title background) just too keep the unique status for supporter. And the cost must be different for them. And one more thing, it should be at a "farmable" level to make constant buying possible. This means you can buy Country Ranking in every month if you played enough.

I would like to be able to transfer to other players but somehow abuse needs to be prevented. Like with you need to be registered for 3 months before transfer.

/I wanted to write one more thing but I forgot it while typing. o.o
Rauf543
I think this would be a good Idea and If you could earn points by stuff like

refferals

Forum posts

and helping ppl out!
Bara-

Rauf543 wrote:

refferals

Forum posts LOL
I'D BE RICH

and helping ppl out!

I don't really understand this request
Is it to get money for supporter or smth?
- Marco -
where did Loliflan's post go? O.O

Also if you get beats by forum post i'll be rich lel
Granger
But we already have a currency, the kudosu... which you earn trough modding and can use to buy your/someone elses map some more attention among the competing maps for rank.
Bara-
Like SP means something (see sig)
Rauf543

Granger wrote:

But we already have a currency, the kudosu... which you earn trough modding and can use to buy your/someone elses map some more attention among the competing maps for rank.
Yes for modders and mappers

but not for players and forum posters and stuffs
Bara-
Most people with much postcount are modders as well, and thus have some/many kudosu
Still, I think Peppy would like this, as he has 18k post count xD
Rauf543

baraatje123 wrote:

Most people with much postcount are modders as well, and thus have some/many kudosu
Still, I think Peppy would like this, as he has 18k post count xD

all that is left

is for peppy to notice me

pls/
Seijiro
Please, the world has already a lot of problems due to currency. Don't take those problems to osu! too
Ash Marley
If it's entirely a novelty credit which doesn't remove or restrict any features we get as supporters, I have an idea.

You get credits for every map you full combo. The credits you get are equal to the star ratings. Full combo a 4.78 star map, get 4.78 credits.
The only way you can win or lose credits is in multiplayer by gambling. Example, bet 20 credits against another player and the winner collects the rewards. At the start of the game, PP is displayed on screen from both players so you can see if it's worth betting or not.

1000pp vs 5000pp and I'd not bet. 1000PP vs 1300pp, worth a bet.

Maybe even having a setting in a gambling multiplayer room where you can set "only allow players within 10% PP difference to join"
Karuta-_old_1
Please don't make this game more silly than it looks now I love people for who they are not what they have
Irreversible
Well I like the idea.. but I doubt this is needed here, I mean, what could you buy? Tourney can as already said be started without that, supporter probably with a high amount of it but that's basically it, and wow, being able to buy 1 thing isn't really attracting xD
Rilene
Nice idea, but there is once problem...
Whats the purpose for it? If it is only for showing like "Play Count" then it would be useless.

And... About you said in the first post here, rewarding the VIPs isn't good since not every VIPs contribute to the community (you said reward the hard working contributors of osu!)

Also there are chance of scamming in this community, if this is implemented.

Non-Related Idea: But if someone implements buying a limited-feature userpage, userpage-for-rent, forum tags (not custom tags), I'm pretty sure that the community activity will sure skyrocketed (and benefits to the game and the community itself too) due to needs and wants of userpages and perhaps other valuable features.
nxthxn
I just don't see the point.....
Bladesu
This doesn't make sense.
dinopwn
money = corruption = match fixing etc

don't do it
FrzR
ew no
jesse1412
Sounds interesting to me but I guess no one else likes the idea.
Kleaguebba

dinopwn wrote:

money = corruption = match fixing etc

don't do it
can't agree more
Cerulean Veyron
Are you really sure about this? xD
Stefan

Rauf543 wrote:

refferals

Forum posts

and helping ppl out!
Shit post intensifies

That is honestly not needed here.
Saranghae_old_1
Sorry to say, but I personally do not feel this would be of any use to the players at all.
Especially in correspondence to one of the earlier messages stating that if points were given to players for doing polite things such as helping out and by inviting people to come and play OSU! That it would unify in a sense the community. However, I feel as if that wouldn't be an act of out kindness at all. More like a reason to do something because it's merely an obligation for a reward. Things of that nature should been done out of pure intent and motive. (Sorry for my bad english)
brunn08
I don´t like that Idea! :o

Sorry :cry:
Professor Gila
Please, keep osu! be free :(

It will be dearly to see that in-game currency is applied :cry:
Comet
Bunp

Here's a few things I want to say that will alleviate people's sketchiness and possibly mold the idea to something far, far better.

I'll go over my main thoughts with this idea first:

1. Earning beats by playing the game is GOOD. This will encourage people to play more (which will probably stop half the shitspam to pro players on "HOW 2 GET BETTER LOLZ", because how you get bette-you play the fricking game, regardless of which song diffs you wanna play. Here's an algorithm that might kinda work.

This algorithm is also based off the little stars you see next to diff name; Easy is green, Normal is blue, Hard is orange, Insane is red, and Extra is purple

First pass of a song = 5 beats
Regular pass after first pass of a song, regardless of amount of times played = 2 beats
FC (No misses or sliderbreaks) = 10-20 beats varying on diff (10 for Easy, 12 for Normal, 14 for Hard, 16 for Insane, and a whopping 20 for Extra
CC (Complete Combo, maximum combo achievable on said map) = 20-100 depending on diff, start with 20 for easy diffs and count by increments of 20 until you hit 100 beats for an Extra CC ( I won't mind if this will be tweaked a little, that many beats is pretty op)
Getting beats for accuracy, map BPM, and UR (yes I did just say Unstable rate) should only be valid under the following circumstances:

Accuracy is 99 or above AT THE LEAST, map BPM is 170 or lower for slower BPM's AT THE LEAST, and 210+ for higher BPM's AT THE LEAST (this could be tweaked as well), UR is 100 or below AT THE LEAST (thinking about having this even lower, like 90 or 80). I emphasize at the least here a lot because I want this to be a good and accurate system. Mods could add an additional amount of beats on too probably, maybe, but this is very variable so I ain't gonna try and put settings for this one

Whew, I think that's it. next,

2. Recieving beats from others is a little ehh, put a cap on the amounts of beats that can be given to a player by another player at any one time for a certain AMOUNT of time and THEN it might be better. Make it variable too, so that you can give say 2 beats a maximum of 50 times for 100 beats total or 100 beats in 1 give total. anything say above 100 beats would need approval from a staff member and a legitimate reason (if you want to give a player say 200 beats for FC or CC'ing a super famous map i.e. Hoshizora on HD DT, that's valid to A CERTAIN POINT, don't give TOO many Beats though) If the staff member is unsure of whether a map is super hard or not to FC or even pass (this can happen) then the staff member may, for example ask for The specific stats of the map (with whichever mods the player of the map is using that other player wants to give beats to.)

e.g. for people that don't entirely get what I just said: giving 200 beats to someone for example that does a super hard map is decent, and if the staff member doesn't know how hard said map is, they ask for stats of map with say for example HD DT (e.g. OD, AR, BPM, etc.)

whew, I think that's clear. hard for me to wrap my own head around that one. next,

3. Recieving beats for say, placing higher than 5th team in an osu tournament out of 20 country teams is decent. overall placing #5-#1 individual is also ok if you want to give beats for that. However, if by buy-in you mean you need a certain amount of beats to get into a tournament or something, I am very against this, because it would encourage beat farming (if this idea was implemented that would definitely be a thing) and would discourage players a little more from wanting to join things like tournaments in the first place, and that's not really a good thing.

4. Rewarding contributors is a decent thing, but it depends by kind of contributor. what i mean is that I'm basically for beatmap creators getting Beats for ranking beatmaps (I mean full ranking, not qualified status,) could be worth something in the hundreds of beats, moderators are a little iffy but I wouldn't be against them getting SMALL weekly paychecks in beats (50-100 per week depending on how active they are, depending on idea might be able to be bumped to 150 or 200, though I'm more comfortable with 150 tbh) which is pretty fair (you could easily earn 150 beats by the following methods of earning them when playing in less than a week even if you're dedicated enough, 200 is iffy which Is why I dislike it being changed to that) and if by VIP's you mean skinners and the like, then that's iffy but maybe once the skin they're making is like fully complete then the community could have a vote based on various aspects of the skin (i.e. how fun it is to play with said skin, how professional it can be, the actual quality of the skin (Photoshop is always better than Paint, for example,) etc etc etc.

next idea, head's getting tired from rereading thought 4

5. everything in the advantages of beats section is decent, however wager matches are a pretty iffy thing. this would make osu a sort of gambling game which I'm not entirely for because most osu! players are softcore or normal, not hardcore. maybe give an option that has to be checked in the options to allow this? then it might work better! Minor player rewards are an amazing idea that can work, however I'm against supporter features with MAYBE the exception of changing name, but indeed at a hefty price so that you can't change your name every 5 seconds. Put it at at least 5-10K Beats and then maybe it's a LITTLE reasonable. (can be super tweaked).

K, thoughts complete, now for one of my own ideas.

Unlocking beatmaps with diffs Hard, Insane, and Extra (color of stars next to diff name corresponds to actual diff like aforementioned) with beats. In addition, the easier difficulty must be played first (e.g. To unlock a hard you need to play the Normal version once and have the right amount of beats.) CDFA's suggestion was getting there but was a little too restricted in my eyes, this one might be a little better. in this way Beatmap Packs can still be downloaded freely, you just need you play easier stuff before the harder stuff.

whew, done.

This was a struggle for me to type in a coherent matter, also as a DISCLAIMER: Things from this post can be tweaked around if this goes to final version of the idea.

kudos to whoever reads this whole post, you're fricking awesome
Granger
Time to DTfarm pony maps to get beats to play the maps i wanted to play in the first place.
Yeah, no.
Comet

Granger wrote:

Time to DTfarm pony maps to get beats to play the maps i wanted to play in the first place.
Yeah, no.
LOL maps don't have to be THAT expensive, like 50 beats at the most, even that's way too much, I'm more favorable at 30 actually
Infevo
Why would anyone care about having/earning these beats? As long as you don't have any suggestions what they can be used for besides moving them from one player to another without any impact I don't see the point.

It is like people feel the urge to come up with some new revolutionary idea and then they just dont even bother using their brain at all before posting some half-baked thought. Just like the electronic market does with its iphones every once in a while which don't do anything besides cost more money. But, oh well. I guess there is a reason for everything. People buy it eventually..
7ambda
Sounds really pointless. I mean, what can you even buy with beats?
Ayesha Altugle
Mar 31, 2015
[peppy] Introduction of new osu!coins: the new in-game currency.

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/changelog

It seems that this idea is now finally completed I guess?
[Ayase Eli]
April Fools ya pringus
Bara-
But it's still march O.o
Ayesha Altugle

baraatje123 wrote:

But it's still march O.o
You're right man, it's still too early for april fools.
Nathanael
It's already April 1st on some timezones.
show more