forum

Genre [Rejected] [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
It'd be nice to be able to select a genre when inputting the song info for a beatmap. Then we could sort and search beatmaps by genre, maybe arrange by genre in the game's menu, etc. Crazy other uses include: Leaderboards for the best players in each genre, associating different skins with different genres (i.e. EBA skin with pop and Ouendan skin with jPop), etc. Just a thought.
peppy
This sounds good, but we would need a list of set genres. Shall we come up with one and get this in? :)
awp
Categorizing by genre can be risky and dangerous because almost nobody gets the genre of a song correctly unless they have a very fluent background in it. I myself listen to a good dozen or two genres of music that the ignorant masses would simply define as "heavy metal", despite the apparent variety in styles. I myself am not even innocent of this, either. I don't know the correct genre for a good portion of the groups I listen to.

On the other hand, generalizations of genres would certainly act as a filter against completely incorrect genres. If I wanted to search for a song by Wintersun, and it were categorized simply as metal, stuff like Sheryl Crow, Nobuo Uetmatsu, U2, Blink 182 etc would most certainly not appear in the search, so I could see it working.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Yeah I was thinking really, really general genres, since this is a rhythm game, not an encyclopedia.

Something like:

Anime/Jpop
Game
Rock
Pop

I mean, there would be more of them, but not much specific than that. More like categories of genres, rather than specific genres.
awp
Another tentative list suggestion:

Pop
J-Pop (It really is quite different) (includes Anime)
Punk (includes all forms of punk/emo/indie)
Hip-hop
Rock (includes pop-rock, hard rock, industrial, alternative, etc)
Techno (and Electronica)
Videogame music (possibly could fall under Techno)
Metal
Jazz/Blues/Ska
Swing? (That's like 1940s, but you never know!)

Even if some genres are not used, it would not really hurt to have them, would it?
eyup
I honestly don't think this is necessary. There are enough categories already.

Just as an aside, sorting by J-Pop won't help anyway, you'll just filter out about 10 songs :mrgreen:
awp
This shall change! Even if only by my own two hands (well, and Manabeasts by the looks of it).
chan
Not entirely sure if I really care for this feature, but still...
AWP's list looks reasonably good. Probably multiple genres per song would need to be implemented since there could be a lot of crossover/overlap. Maybe the genres could be selected by the beatmapper and could be altered through community consensus. I imagine a lot of controversy between correctly identifying a genre might ensue.

Oh yeah, I was thinking that maybe a genre for beatmaps that are true to the original beatmaps in Ouendan1/2 or EBA be included.
jsticker

awp wrote:

Pop
J-Pop (It really is quite different) (includes Anime)
Punk (includes all forms of punk/emo/indie)
Hip-hop
Rock (includes pop-rock, hard rock, industrial, alternative, etc)
Techno (and Electronica)
Videogame music (possibly could fall under Techno)
Metal
Other
If there'll be a genre listing, then these options would be great. It doesn't need more detail than that.

Note that I exchanged "Jazz/Blues/Ska/Swing" with "Other" in the quote
awp

chan wrote:

Not entirely sure if I really care for this feature, but still...
Probably multiple genres per song would need to be implemented since there could be a lot of crossover/overlap.
Assuming I'm reading you correctly I, personally, am a bit iffy on this. Suppose someone submitted a song categorized as "Punk/Rock". Having the song appear in both the punk and rock sections is a bit unnecessary/bloated. I think a song should only go in its parent genre; since punk rock is punk that takes elements from rock, it should appear in the punk genre.

I think ultimately it's up to dev team/beatmap moderators to decide, but that's just my input.
Kylecito
not agreedo!
as eyup said, the existing categories are enough
[deleted user]
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.