forum

Make cursor skywrite while watching a replay

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +15
Topic Starter
GhostFrog
Right now, you can create "skywriting" by pressing c while playing. Whenever c is held down, your cursor will leave behind a white smoke trail and this trail can be seen by the player, by spectators, and by anyone who watches the replay. What I'm requesting is a button that you can hold down (or maybe toggle, depending on how people would use it) while watching a replay that would cause the cursor from the replay to leave behind a smoke trail of some other color (to distinguish it from skywriting created during the play) that would only appear during that specific watching of the replay.

The primary use I would have for this is to hold the hotkey down for extended periods of time to get a more accurate view of cursor movement in the replay (is the cursor moving straight? how closely is it following sliders? etc). If this would be the primary use of most people, it might be worth considering having an option to use replay skywriting as a toggle, but a toggle would be less flexible than having it work like normal skywriting.

The other main use I can see for this would be to press the skywriting hotkey (or maybe have 2 different hotkeys (with 2 different colors??) for streaming?) in time with the map to see where the cursor is at the correct timing of a note. This use would work similarly to this other feature request and would in fact work better in tandem with it (i.e. having skywriting leave a noticeable dot the instant you start pressing a button). I could also see this working well with Auto plays. Since Auto always has its cursor in the center of hitobjects at the exact time they're supposed to be hit (assuming the map is correctly timed, of course...), using replay skywriting while watching auto could be another perspective on how far off your hits are, like the hit error bar. I'm not sure how useful it would be, but it sounds fun to me.

No pictures included because I'm terrible at anything artistic and I think it's pretty self-explanatory without pictures anyway.
teasp00n
Sorry i didnt read your wall of text but i want this as well. =)
NeVMiku

GhostFrog wrote:

Right now, you can create "skywriting" by pressing c while playing. Whenever c is held down, your cursor will leave behind a white smoke trail and this trail can be seen by the player, by spectators, and by anyone who watches the replay. What I'm requesting is a button that you can hold down (or maybe toggle, depending on how people would use it) while watching a replay that would cause the cursor from the replay to leave behind a smoke trail of some other color (to distinguish it from skywriting created during the play) that would only appear during that specific watching of the replay.

The primary use I would have for this is to hold the hotkey down for extended periods of time to get a more accurate view of cursor movement in the replay (is the cursor moving straight? how closely is it following sliders? etc). If this would be the primary use of most people, it might be worth considering having an option to use replay skywriting as a toggle, but a toggle would be less flexible than having it work like normal skywriting.

The other main use I can see for this would be to press the skywriting hotkey (or maybe have 2 different hotkeys (with 2 different colors??) for streaming?) in time with the map to see where the cursor is at the correct timing of a note. This use would work similarly to this other feature request and would in fact work better in tandem with it (i.e. having skywriting leave a noticeable dot the instant you start pressing a button). I could also see this working well with Auto plays. Since Auto always has its cursor in the center of hitobjects at the exact time they're supposed to be hit (assuming the map is correctly timed, of course...), using replay skywriting while watching auto could be another perspective on how far off your hits are, like the hit error bar. I'm not sure how useful it would be, but it sounds fun to me.

No pictures included because I'm terrible at anything artistic and I think it's pretty self-explanatory without pictures anyway.
So...in Big Black I think the screen would be full of white strings from spam?
GatorZZ
I've wanted this for a while, though I couldn't find this thread when I made my own. I definitely would like to be able to put down a cursor line while watching a replay, would be a big help in determining how well you are snapping :)