forum

what determines an approved beatmap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ihearthawthats
hiya, new osu player here. i would like to get into creating beatmaps, and was just wondering what the process behind getting a beatmap approved is? i.e. is it easy or hard process? does it take long? etc etc

also what are some of the rules regarding mp3s? can i use for example mainstream artists, or are those not allowed?
0_o
By Approved to mean Ranked? Because Approved and Ranked are two different categories; Approved maps are basically maps that are too long/have too high of a score to be ranked (and also may bend a few of the ranking guidelines)

And yes, making a good map/getting it ranked takes a lot of time and effort (for most people >_>) so be prepared to put a lot of time into it. Once you finish and submit your map, get it modded (critiqued) by members of the community (go here for ways of doing that.) If a member of the MAT (Mapping Assistance Team) finds the map up to standards, they will give it a "protobubble" that indicates to the BAT (Beatmap Approval Team) that it should be considered for ranking. If a BAT then finds it worthy of approval they give your map a "bubble", and if a second also approves your map (finally) gets ranked! :)

As for song selection there aren't any restrictions, so knock yourself out ;) Just make sure it's a song that can be timed, preferably one with a steady bpm. Older songs may or may not have a steady bpm so watch out for that.
Shohei Ohtani
To get a map ranked is usually a very rare thing to happen on the first shot, just so you know. It took me 4 times until I made an actually decent map and got it ranked.
0_o

CDFA wrote:

To get a map ranked is usually a very rare thing to happen on the first shot, just so you know. It took me 4 times until I made an actually decent map and got it ranked.
Not necessarily, my first uploaded map was the first map I got ranked. It really all depends on how hard you work on it.
rust45

0_o wrote:

CDFA wrote:

Not necessarily, my first uploaded map was the first map I got ranked. It really all depends on how hard you work on it.
Same here.

Also, advertise your map in #mod or in other places, but don't spam as that can make people not want to mod your map. And you don't just want it modded by member of the MAT and BAT, normal members can mod just as well and help your map out. And when asking for a mod, try to be polite and not annoying.

Have fun mapping!
Glass
Firstly if you want your map to get ranked, it needs to have atleast 2 difficulties, the song should also be not too long and it shouldn't give too much score. It's also recommended that the difficulties are spread-out, for example; one Hard/one Normal or Easy, not one Insane/one Hard because newer players might have trouble playing your map, the result being your map won't be as popular.

Whenever you've completed those minimum of 2 difficulties and submitted them, get people to look into your map. If someone likes your map, they'll give it a Star. I highly recommend posting in those modding queues, just make sure you read their rules, don't be excessively annoying or impatient(hell I never pmed anyone telling them to hurry up with my mod) and make sure to give them a Kudo if their post helped. Whenever a Map Assistance member finds your map to be good enough, he or she will give you a proto-bubble (They will say that in their post, there's no symbol that indicates if a map is proto-bubbled). Once a Beatmap Approval member is aware of the proto-bubble, they'll eventually check your map to see if it's ready to be ranked yet, if they think it is, they'll give it a Bubble and once a second BAT approves it, your map gets ranked.

Like 0_o and rust45 said above, it's all about how much work you put into your map. My first one got ranked in 2 weeks because I asked a lot of people to check it and made changes every day.

Hopefully this wasn't too long to read(probably was) and helped. Goodluck ;)
LuigiHann
Hey how about this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439
anonymous_old
Shohei Ohtani

rust45 wrote:

0_o wrote:

Same here.

Also, advertise your map in #mod or in other places, but don't spam as that can make people not want to mod your map. And you don't just want it modded by member of the MAT and BAT, normal members can mod just as well and help your map out. And when asking for a mod, try to be polite and not annoying.

Have fun mapping!
I know some people get their first map ranked, but generally, people beatmapping without a lot of experience in playing osu generally don't do so well with beatmapping on their first shot.