forum

Look! A dirty noob! ;)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
KarateChopKoala
Introduction:
Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself before I start posting all over the place. On most forums or games I go by the name LeafMuncher, but apparently Osu! is the only game where someone else got the name first... I started playing Osu! about 5 months ago maybe once or twice a week until about 2 months ago I started playing every day in between other games or studying.

Gamer Aliases:
LeafMuncher, KarateChopKoala, JukesForDays (Dota only)

When did you first start playing Osu! and how did you come across it?
I got used to playing with a very high DPI on my mouse (5600) before I really understood the concept, which hurt my accuracy a lot in games like Starcraft 2. I was browsing Team Liquid forums for some tips on what DPI range is good, and how to get used to a lower DPI again, which lead me to a few topics about Osu!. I was never a fan of rhythm games so I hesitated for a while, but after watching a few vids of Cookiezi and WubWoofWolf (as well as a few mortal players) I decided to give it a try. I noticed my mouse accuracy instantly boosted after just a few easy beatmaps! So I kept decreasing my DPI a bit at a time, playing some Osu! each time over the following weeks, until I got the itch to enjoy the game for itself ;)

What other games do you play?
Most of my gaming time is spent on Dota 2 and Tee Worlds. I used to play SC2 a lot, but now I enjoy watching it more than playing so I've taken a break from it (I still enjoy custom games on occasion). I'm an avid fan of tower defense and tower war games stemming from my long years of Warcraft 3, it's sad to see how dead the community has become :(
I also enjoy JRPGs and the occasional puzzle game or FPS (mostly Valve titles, not a fan of BF or CoD since after the first Modern Warfare)

Seeing as this is a rhythm game, what music do you like?
I mostly enjoy Psy Trance, Drum n Bass and a bit of Dubstep (mostly Skizm and Modestep). I used to enjoy a lot of rock and metal as a teen but slowly lost interest in the genres. It's quite hard finding beatmaps of songs I enjoy besides the occasional Anime soundtracks, so for the last few weeks I've been trying to make my own (terribly bad) beatmaps :P

Where are you from?
Cape Town, South Africa. According to Osu! rankings I'm in the top 400 from SA, which must mean there are less than 400 players from my country ;)

What do you do besides play computer games?
Wait, you mean like real world stuff? People actually still do that? :?:
On a serious note, I've been doing martial arts from a young age. Mostly Karate (Osu!) but after so many years I got fed up with the internal politics and useless added rubbish, so I've taken up Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) and Muay Thai at a nearby MMA gym (not a bunch of meat-heads ;) )
I'm also studying a teaching degree (high school maths and physics), and I plan on living and working in a more well-developed English speaking country (because teachers get paid poorly and are treated like dirt over here)
I have my own business (sub-letting retail space, not much to talk about) and work full time as an estate agent, part time as a tutor for highschool level and lower university level maths, physics and chemistry.

Will this wall of text end any time soon?
Yes, soon ;)

Any other Osu! related comments?
I suck at spinners :(
I have a bad habit of using my shoulder to spin like crazy, which usually ends up with my mouse in weird parts of the mousepad with no time to correct it before the next notes (also ends up hurting my shoulder if I play too much in a day). I'm trying to fix this with practice.
Other than that I'm finding it difficult to improve much past 2.25* maps (I'm a dirty noob I know :( )
I fail dismally every time I try Osu! Mania

Closing remarks
Yo Dawg I heard you like spinners so we put a spinner in yo spinner so you can OH MY GO-

Off-topic: I'm looking for advice on a new keyboard, where would be the best place to post about that? Under general I'm assuming?
Off-topic 2: Are animated avatars allowed?
Gumpy
Welcome to the forum!

That is one of the longest intros I have seen.
Topic Starter
KarateChopKoala

Gumpyyy wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

That is one of the longest intros I have seen.
Yeah I got a bit carried away :P
Xtrmite
nah
HaruryuuSan
Wow that intro

Welcome to the forums, KarateChopKoala. Hope you enjoy it here. :3
AR10 Only
Welcome KarateChopKoala !

To be honest , i didn't have the will to read everything :oops:
Tamanegi-K
Welcome to osu! and to the forums KarateChopKoala!

KarateChopKoala wrote:

Will this wall of text end any time soon?
Yes, soon ;)
My, you are quite the jokey type, a little like me! =D
Spinning with a mouse can be a pain, really, but it's really easy once you get the hang of it, simply go slow and stay in the middle.
Again, welcome to the forums, noob~ >=3
Who am I kidding, I'm a noob too... T^T

P.S: Martial arts are awesome, much like you~

KarateChopKoala wrote:

Off-topic 2: Are animated avatars allowed?
Why yes, look at Ichara!