forum

Why is there so little English music?

posted
Total Posts
show more
chainpullz

Narrill wrote:

I don't know what you think that's supposed to prove.
Merely that it wasn't mapped at 360bpm. He later reduced the bpm from 720 to 360. You may be able to map the song to 180bpm. Making sure we have the facts straight here.
Lybydose
I once mapped something at 237.1296 BPM but then changed the slider speed by reducing it by 37.0298% and then setting my beat snap divisor to 1/54 and time signature to 7/23 and as a result it plays like 143.2128 BPM but feels like 198.5893 BPM
_koinuri
Name one properly mapped 180BPM map that plays like Big Black.

It's just style of mapping to map in mostly 1/2 beat spaced notes in high BPMs so it's more playable, like most of the high BPM maps by Broccoly and val. Speed of the stream isn't the only factor to define BPM. The slider length in this map looks and plays like 1/2 sliders on 360BPM to me, not 1/4 sliders on 180BPM.
chainpullz

-[Koinuri] wrote:

Name one properly mapped 180BPM map that plays like Big Black.

It's just style of mapping to map in mostly 1/2 beat spaced notes in high BPMs so it's more playable, like most of the high BPM maps by Broccoly and val. Speed of the stream isn't the only factor to define BPM. The slider length in this map looks and plays like 1/2 sliders on 360BPM to me, not 1/4 sliders on 180BPM.
If you set the slider velocity to 2.0x you get the same result. Kind of to sum up things (extensively read the beatmap thread to double check my facts):

1. The song artist has stated the song is 720bpm
  2. Blue Dragon originally mapped it to 720bpm
  3. Due to kai time and menu pulsations the bpm was changed to 360bpm (think epilepsy)
  4. The taiko difficulty used to be 180bpm as a patch fix for a taiko bug
  5. You could map this song at 180bpm
Is everyone happy now?

Lybydose wrote:

I once mapped something at 237.1296 BPM but then changed the slider speed by reducing it by 37.0298% and then setting my beat snap divisor to 1/54 and time signature to 7/23 and as a result it plays like 143.2128 BPM but feels like 198.5893 BPM
I was considering bringing up this argument. You can rewrite music for many different tempos and time signatures (infinitely many if musical notation permitted). This doesn't change the fact that the music was composed for a specific tempo and time signature.
Athrun
All I can say is, people like foreign music better than English. They sound better as well.
After that, it's mostly electronic music which sounds better.
Blanky
Anime music all the way.
_koinuri
Just because you can map the same map 1/2 its BPM doesn't mean it's mapped for that BPM or play like that BPM.
nrl

chainpullz wrote:

I was considering bringing up this argument. You can rewrite music for many different tempos and time signatures (infinitely many if musical notation permitted). This doesn't change the fact that the music was composed for a specific tempo and time signature.
Similarly, the fact that the music was composed for a specific tempo and time signature has no bearing on the tempo and time signature the listener discerns. It doesn't matter what tempo big black is intended to be, what matters is that it behaves like 180 when played, objectively.
buny

-[Koinuri] wrote:

Just because you can map the same map 1/2 its BPM doesn't mean it's mapped for that BPM or play like that BPM.
To be fair, most maps on osu! have doubled their original bpms
Vuelo Eluko

Narrill wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

Similarly, the fact that the music was composed for a specific tempo and time signature has no bearing on the tempo and time signature the listener discerns. It doesn't matter what tempo big black is intended to be, what matters is that it behaves like 180 when played, objectively.
Please, that's like saying pudding plays like 95 bpm OBJECTIVELY but just because you are a full alternator.

even if you dont singletap it, it's still 360 bpm because that's how the song plays from a musical standpoint, and thats the timing between 1/2 notes. And no, cranking out a constant 180 bpm alternating doesn't mean it 'plays like' a 180 bpm map either.
winber1
big black doesn't crank out constant 180 bpm alternating. objectively it plays more like a 180bpm map. As i said earlier, there are not complex or unique patterns made on the 180BPM 1/4 tick level. All of them are just spaced out (or regular) streams. Things like talent shredder, no,39 , with a dance number, etc. play more like the 290bpm range since they actually make patterns at the 145-ish BPM 1/4 tick level.

so yes i would say it plays more like 180bpm. i would also say musically it also it's mapped on 180bpm as well because all of the musical phrases and patterns match 180bpm better than 360bpm, but that's a different story and just my personal opinion, but whatever. Whether 720bpm was needed to make the song itself is also anther story.
nrl

Riince wrote:

Please, that's like saying pudding plays like 95 bpm OBJECTIVELY but just because you are a full alternator.

even if you dont singletap it, it's still 360 bpm because that's how the song plays from a musical standpoint, and thats the timing between 1/2 notes. And no, cranking out a constant 180 bpm alternating doesn't mean it 'plays like' a 180 bpm map either.
I alternate maybe 20% of the time, I'm nowhere near a full alternator. And as winnie says, the song doesn't lend itself to 360 single-tapping at all. Playing it that way would only make it harder.

The critical point you're missing here is that big black never requires you to play anything faster than 1/4s at 180.
Purple
it's not the japanese music that annoys people, its the generic anime music with annoying high pitched vocals that pisses a lot of people off... And what constitutes most of the game's library.

What could be done is give some sort of rewards to mappers who contribute non-anime music, but I don't know what kind of reward would be appropiate.
winber1
give me $20 bucks per difficulty and i'll map some songs bruh

ranking not guaranteed with purchase
nrl

Purple wrote:

What could be done is give some sort of rewards to mappers who contribute non-anime music, but I don't know what kind of reward would be appropiate.
Why would that be a good idea? That sort of music saturates the library because it's what people want to map.
_koinuri
BPM also affects slider velocity, so it's wrong to classify the BPM it's mapped for without considering the slider velocity imo. Sure you can achieve the same velocity half the BPM by doubling it, but you can do the exact same thing with speed using 1/8, and I don't really understand why this double thing only apply to the sv side. Pretty sure mapping in 3.6 sv just to mimic 1.8 sv double its BPM is discouraged as much as mapping in 1/8 for 1/4 doubled.

No matter how you look at it, these doesn't look like 1/4 sliders and doesn't play like 1/4 sliders unless you're willing to get 100s and -1x combo.

Sorry for being offtopic again, I'll stop.

I personally don't find English songs interesting enough to map. I like mapping to the melody of the song, and most English songs I heard have super repetitive melody which makes creating variety more work than its worth. By the time you hear the same melody for the millionth time mapping the song, because mapping will take very long time, you'll be tired of majority of songs out there except for the ones you really really love. Maybe that's just me because I'm extremely slow mapper.
nrl
It's just unconventional slider work, they play like elongated kick sliders. Plenty of maps have sliders like that.
Akali

Riince wrote:

it's still 360 bpm because that's how the song plays from a musical standpoint, and thats the timing between 1/2 notes. And no, cranking out a constant 180 bpm alternating doesn't mean it 'plays like' a 180 bpm map either.
From musical standpoint 360BPM doesn't make much sense. Putting 9000 bass drum hits in one minute of a song doesn't make it 9000bpm.

Also: anime songs are short, packed with lot of instruments etc, which can make for a good osu! map. Western pop/pop rock song are slow, repetitive and don't contain that many instruments. There is also some other stuff of course, but most of it just wouldn't be fun to map
buny

Purple wrote:

it's not the japanese music that annoys people, its the generic anime music with annoying high pitched vocals that pisses a lot of people off... And what constitutes most of the game's library.

but it annoys the minority of the population

and even if it constitutes the largest portion of the variety of maps, there is still a large amount of maps that aren't anime songs or foreign

buny wrote:

Purple wrote:

but it annoys the minority of the population

and even if it constitutes the largest portion of the variety of maps, there is still a large amount of maps that aren't anime songs or foreign
and those are usually really good maps
nrl

buny wrote:

foreign
A strange word to use given the diversity of osu!'s playerbase.