forum

Questions Related to Getting a Drum Controller

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
List of questions incoming!
I couldn't seem to find these answers by Googling. Or if I did, I don't trust them since I couldn't find enough sources.
I've been trying to figure this out ever since playing arcade Taiko at an anime convention several months ago and was amazed at how much more fun the gameplay was with a drum than with the keyboard.
How do I get a drum and make it work with my computer?
Do I need Wii remote?
Does anybody have any recommendations as to where I could get a TaTaCon drum? What exactly is a TaTaCon drum? Is it a specific brand or does it just refer to any drum for Taiko? If it's a specific brand, do others work?? Are there any recommended websites for getting one?
My laptop doesn't have a bluetooth built in, so does that mean I'd have to get a dongle??
???????????
Dolphin
Tatacon refers to the taiko drum that comes bundled with console releases of Taiko no Tatsujin (Wii and PS2)
If you want to find these you'd need to import them or buy used ones off eBay.
If you want to import them, the easiest way is to buy the game bundle with the drum.

The Wii one obviously need the Wiimote (drum is connected with the nunchunk plug), and it will only communicate to the PC via Bluetooth.
osu! supposedly has built-in function for registering a Wiimote so if your PC and Wiimote is paired via Bluetooth.
I have heard many issues with the PS2 drum (sensitivity, different PS2->USB adapters work differently with it) so I don't think I'd bet money on that considering that it's also old and outdated compared to the Wii ones that are still in production.

There are some knock-off products that are the same as the Tatacon (Namco's official controller), some Chinese ones I don't recall the name of.

Also, if you don't have Bluetooth, yes, you will need an adapter for that to be able to pair the Wiimote.
You should be able to easily google about how to pair a Wiimote with the PC.

Side note: Once you do get a Tatacon, use it with a towel over it. Funnily enough, this makes it register hits better compared to when you play it bare.