forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
Taadashi

lolpoi wrote:

So I am at a point where I am trying to power through a wall, and the way that I am doing that is by playing 10 songs that are almost unplayable, but not quite, with "no fail" on. I am seeing improvement, but there are still moments when I have no idea what is happening. Will this method work for improving or am I going about it the wrong way.
If by nearly unplayable you mean that you spam most of the time and have no idea what's going on, you will probably not learn much from it. If it means you can read the notes to a certain degree but not quite hit them at the right time/with good accuracy then it'll probably work.

I try to play maps that I high C or get low B:s on to improve. :)
lolpoi_old
What about songs that I get mid to high d on?
Taadashi

lolpoi wrote:

What about songs that I get mid to high d on?
That probably means you're spamming like crazy and have no real idea what's going on, so I wouldn't play those songs. :)
lolpoi_old
Thanks for the help.
Topic Starter
Drace
Play everything

-Try to SS songs you can FC
-Try to FC songs you can S
-Try to S songs you can A
-Try to A songs you can B
-Try to B songs you can C
-Try to C songs you can D

They'll all train diffrent aspects of skills and all of them will prove to be usefull in overall improvement.

Limiting yourself to a couple songs is a bad idea unless your goal is memorization.

And from my experiences, sticking in the same difficulty range results in slower and unstable improvements.

All in all, just play for fun with no real training mindset and it all happens naturally, mostly heh
Xcrypt
As newbie, I think it's good to focus on rough reading for a while, forget about accuracy. Go for D/C/B.
Once you're a few months in though and can clear some of the MX/Insane/etc songs (~lvl 25-35 o2jam level), I would focus on A/S/FC/SS (od8+), in my personal experience once you get to a certain level you have to start reading more accurately instead of just figuring out the rough shape of the patterns. Anything lower leads for me to bad habits. This may be a bit different for everyone though.
iGod
Why doesn't the different keys mod work on some songs?

Like I will have the mod on 7k but the song will still be 4k
CephiCC

iGod wrote:

Why doesn't the different keys mod work on some songs?

Like I will have the mod on 7k but the song will still be 4k
It's just how the certain map is made. Some will allow n-key, some won't. Just depends. If you are playing an auto-convert, those will always be able to be n-key.
Tornspirit
Only autoconverts can use key mods, mapped songs aren't compatible at all.
Kamikaze
Thanks a lot for the guide. Fine-tuning section finally solved my month-long accuracy problems :D
BlackCobra89
where is the xK.ini file?
The Muffin Man
Go to the 'Skins' folder in the osu! root directory (e.g. 'Program Files\osu!') and enter the folder of the skin you're using. If xk.ini files aren't present, you'll need to make them. The wiki has a few notes on the files: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Osu!mania#Skin

I would point you to my skin's files as an example, but I haven't updated it yet. If you have any osu!mania skins, you could check the syntax of the xk.ini files - or copy them over to your current skin and modify them how you like.

EDIT: this guide looks seriously in-depth! t/203554
tkk
Wow, that timing offset section made my life 159% better. Thank you so much for the tips, my accuracy isn't complete horse shit anymore.
splinternight
Thanks a bunch for the guide :oops:
Iffy-chan
The only thing I've learned from this that I am still a beginner :(
ApocaZumbee
Tried an ET song... Got a B,
I put no fail on just incase.

Tristan97
Does anyone know how I can work on improving my vertical reading? My fingers have the dexterity now to do well on level 15 sound voltex songs and even the MX/SC difficulties of Aiae. I've passed all of them, but I can't hold my streams together well. What's the best way to improve besides practicing those specific songs?
Topic Starter
Drace
The reading methods, like I explained earlier, isn't something someone directly "practices". It's just the indirect outcome of improvement. It's merely an attempt to explain how we process pattern recognition during gameplay.

As for your issue, they're completely normal. It's just a certain lack of experience and really any sort of practice will be able to give you what you lack at this point. Just keep playing like you always were and come back to that song later and you'll do a little better on it eventually. Boring answer, I know, but it's how these games works haha.
Litenang
I really think this was helpful to me, especially the thing that broke down something complex into several patterns occurring at the same time. I'll give it a shot later, but I think it'll still be hard to recognize several different patterns at once. I guess that just comes with practice and improvement.
DeanofDeeps
I just started Mania from scratch around 45 days ago, and I just want to say that this thread and Entozer's songlist were a godsend. Just figured I'd say thanks to you guys, I can still only play the lvl.00 BMS and low lvl.20 O2Jam maps but it's something. Around rank ~9000 and I've had a blast so far. Only issue is I use no offset, should I start>?
PyaKura
If you have no noticeable audio offset and are already used to play with your current settings then most likely not.
Bara-
Wait What?
1/32 jackhammers?
On 100 bpm that's the same as 800 bpm 1/4 singletapping, so around 3200 bpm
Are you sure about that?
Should'nt it be 1/4 or such?
PyaKura
Even 1/16 jacks are very uncommon but those can still be found in insanely stupid hard charts.
Bara-
but... 1/16 on 100 bpm is the same as 1600 bpm
Topic Starter
Drace
Yeah 1/16 happens with the purpose to make the player lose hp at that point, dunno why I put 1/32 though, anything 1/16 and above is pretty much for the same purpose. My bad~~

Thanks for pointing that out, must of been feeling sadistic when I typed it out heh
Silver Sky
I'm currently using a standard laptop keyboard and I find that 7K is hard for me, I mean I can't improve as fast as when I practice 4K. Is that normal?
And I just downloaded a lot of o2jam conversions but I don't know which is good for practicing, can you guys recommend me some? :)
Thanks before :D
Bobbias
We've already talked a lot about how to practice in this thread. Personally, I suggest finding maps you like covering a range of difficulties based on your current skill. Don't limit yourself to songs you can only do well on.

As for your speed at improving, don't worry so much about it. 7k takes longer to adjust to for most people, especially since it's quite common for people to have experience at some other 4k game, and less common for them to have had experience on a 7k game.

And don't worry about playing on a laptop keyboard. Many players like myself play on laptops and do just fine.
ikzune
yes as long as key rollover isnt an issue with your laptop keyboard there is nothing to be worried about with it
DJKero
About the sync stuff, could you explain it taking into account the full range of acc. error?

Like i don't get what you're saying if you don't explain it without saying how much late ms you had in that hypotetical case.

I'm trying it right now, and i vary from -25 ~ +28 to -10 ~ +18 in the last song i played...

Edit: with this i mean like, it's like i should start pointing out in a notepad those and the average them both - and + and see the difference so if i see a consistento trend to press later like in mine, i should modify the bar position like you said in the post?
Topic Starter
Drace
Like I said in the section, you should only consider plays that had "very" low unstable values. A low unstable value means you were mostly constant in your hits and your +/- values are more definitive about you're own required offsets

On the other hand a high unstable value means you weren't constant in your hits and in turn your +/- values aren't really definitive enough to warrant an offset change. What I mean is, playing a song where you literally hit all over the place trying to find that 300g sweet-spot will in-turn give you +/- values that are "all over the place".

Your results seem pretty normal, you don't seem to need offset.
Bobbias
Personally I consider below 200 unstable good enough to tell me if there's an offset issue with a map.
chikitani
When practicing songs that are "too hard" for you, would you recommend playing with Half-Time or NF? I feel NF isn't helping as much since I end up just trying to spam when there's too many notes, but Half-Time is also kind of meh at times.
Topic Starter
Drace
Normally you should just play easier maps since using half-time is essentially also creating an easier map. The only difference is half-time is much more boring.

BUT if it's a map where the pattern type is one you've never encountered before, using half time is a good way to initiate yourself to said pattern. (Note that density, speed and superposition are not patterns. They're just harder variations of a pattern.)
chikitani
What if it's a problem with density?

Rather than the speed being the problem (except on jackhammers), as I try to break the 4star barrier, I find myself not being able to keep up with the 3-4 chords or the 2-3 alternating streams during LN's, etc.
Topic Starter
Drace
You're making the map less dense with half time so you're not getting anywhere any faster.

But really any sort of training yields improvement in the end, just keep at it and make sure you're having fun ^^
Janacechan
Thanks for this guide will follow all of them :33 I'm newb.
Kinac
I have two choices for a keyboard. I have a laptop keyboard and a cheap rubber dome. I can't really tell which is better. Which should I use?
Another problem I have is my reading on 7k. I always feel like I'm just mashing keys.
Silver Sky

Kinac wrote:

I have two choices for a keyboard. I have a laptop keyboard and a cheap rubber dome. I can't really tell which is better. Which should I use?
Another problem I have is my reading on 7k. I always feel like I'm just mashing keys.
Between those two, if your laptop keyboard doesn't have ghosting issues then I would recommend it because it has shorter bottom out distance than rubber dome. In my case, I feel my stamina drained quickly when I play with rubberdome or even mech keyboards I don't know why:/

And about 7K reading, I can't really answer bcs I still suck at it D: . But maybe if you want to improve single note reading, try bms conversions. Or if you want to improve LN reading play more LN maps, tbh I found LN maps are good for finger independence because one time you have to press something when the other fingers are pressing other pattern beside it (layering).
Yuki Toboe

Kinac wrote:

For your reading, did you know you can adjust the scroll speed by pressing F3 and F4?

In regards to the keyboard, If you've found a setup you can press the key combinations you want, I would just use whichever is more comfortable. If you have any concern about wearing it out then just use the rubber dome.
ikzune
aside from ghosting just ensure that key roll over is at least 7 for 7k preferably more if you plan to increase key count to 10 or more if they implement it in the future
show more