forum

[Archived] Osu! randomly crashing to desktop in the middle of play

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
starfighter9
Problem Details:
As per the title, Osu! is randomly crashing to desktop while I'm playing it. The screen just disappears instantly, the music continues playing for a while then stops and error reporting pops up. I can't discern any pattern to the crashes since they occur really randomly (sometimes I play all day and never crash, sometimes it lasts for an hour, sometimes the first song I play crashes), and it will crash on any song, and at any time - even in the last moments of an FC run.

I've tried updating graphics card drivers, .NET framework, etc. and reinstalling Osu! but nothing seems to solve it, so I'm posting this here to see if I can get any help.

My laptop computer specs are:
Dell XPS 14
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3517U
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Don't have a video or screenshot since it just crashes to desktop but these are the details I get according to the error report thingy. It's the same every time.
System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Present(tagRECT* pSource, tagRECT* pDest, HWND__* hOverride)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Present()
at #rb.#Hb.#Yt()
at #rb.#xb.#Is()
at #rb.#xb.#Hs()
at #rb.#xb.#Ss(Object , EventArgs )
at #rb.#Bb.#dt()
at #rb.#Sb.#tv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #rb.#Sb.Run()
at #rb.#xb.Run()
at #Og.#Vo.#gvb(String , Boolean )

osu! version: 20140710.7 (latest)
I've had this problem for over a month at least so it probably includes more than one version.
Slinkyyyy
I'm having the exact same problem, if anyone can give some insight into this it would be much appreciated. I've searched several threads with similar issues and none of them seem to be resolved.
TheVileOne
This is certainly a driver or setting related issue. It's likely a video card issue and there is not much that can be done about it if a drivers update doesn't fix it.
lolcubes
t/188186

My thread got archived.

It's caused by certain amount of fps when playing. I started using a custom frame limiter (300fps), and this problem went away.

The problem lies in laptop's gpu/cpu combo apparently.
After much research best results were setting HD4000 as main gpu and making 300 fps limit. I don't run osu! a lot, but for 25 minute sessions I did, that was enough to not crash.
Slinkyyyy
Thanks for the replies, I tried using a custom frame limiter and had no luck.
My GPU is a 650 Ti BOOST, so it seems to be an issue with more than one video card.
Topic Starter
starfighter9
No luck here with limiting frames either, and integrated graphics is simply unplayable due to lag. However I had a lot of success artificially limiting my framerate by running windows aero instead of basic theme to increase cpu load, no crashes since then. Thanks Microsoft I guess.
Gumpy

starfighter9 wrote:

No luck here with limiting frames either, and integrated graphics is simply unplayable due to lag. However I had a lot of success artificially limiting my framerate by running windows aero instead of basic theme to increase cpu load, no crashes since then. Thanks Microsoft I guess.
That does not even make sense, but that's the magic of computers.
Slinkyyyy

starfighter9 wrote:

Hmm, I'm currently on Aero and having the issue. Perhaps switching to basic will work for me haha! Might as well give it a try.

EDIT: No luck...
Marcin
Have any of you even tried to update drivers? ...

also hd 4000 is more than enough to play osu! (make sure you also have drivers for it - there is NO reason to use other gpu for osu!)
Topic Starter
starfighter9

Marcin wrote:

also hd 4000 is more than enough to play osu! (make sure you also have drivers for it - there is NO reason to use other gpu for osu!)
Yeah, I updated everything I could find and it didn't help, already said that in the OP. I wish my Intel HD4000 was actually useful, I tried playing with it and the songs were lagging so bad I failed within 10s.
Slinkyyyy

Marcin wrote:

Every single one of my drivers are up to date too.
TheVileOne
The issue here is that this error can only be thrown by a native method. There is something corrupted that is preventing your graphics device from performing simple draw operations. Reinstall drivers if they are up to date.

If drivers are not the issue then there has to be some unusual driver setting that does not work well with osu!. Perhaps you are using a particularly unstable desktop resolution or some other weird graphics setting.
lolcubes

TheVileOne wrote:

The issue here is that this error can only be thrown by a native method. There is something corrupted that is preventing your graphics device from performing simple draw operations. Reinstall drivers if they are up to date.

If drivers are not the issue then there has to be some unusual driver setting that does not work well with osu!. Perhaps you are using a particularly unstable desktop resolution or some other weird graphics setting.
I find it really difficult to believe it's a driver issue, especially since some of us already said that we did that.
Not sure if you noticed, but all cases reported here were using a very similar cpu+gpu setup in a laptop (intel cpu with HD4000 and an nvidia GPU).
TheVileOne
Well there's not much that can be done on osu's end if certain cpu + gpus have crappy driver support. Anyways it could be something else like a setting, and settings are usually associated with drivers. There may be a way to fix it, but it's not going to be on osu's end.
Marcin
I also use CPU Intel 4000HD + Nvidia GPU setup on windows 8.1 and never had any of these issues. Hell, i never use nvidia for osu! to begin with.