forum

General Football/Soccer Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Trash Boat
oh damn sorry for that typo. it was truly unintended. will fix
bmin11
The way this group stage is proceeding is amazing. All teams those were considered the underdog has either established a good lead to advance (Costa Rica, USA, Algeria etc) or showed they are no push-overs (Australia). Hell, I dare say even we are playing better then we expected. Contrarily and naturally, teams those were favored aren't doing as well as we expected. Again, I'm glad I'm not on a bet with anybody lol
Fabi
Yeah, also, this WC has been great so far. Only a few matches were "boring".
Hell
i heard people are murdered every year because of soccor rivalries
Vish024
Could everyone who has no interest and no knowledge whatsoever about football please not post in this thread and when putting on a tie attach the other end to a light fitting? Sincerely, a very bemused man.

Dutch delight in Sao Paolo but can they hold on until FT? How can the Dutch not play well with this marvelously attractive kit? Everyone wants that kit, even the Germans I'm sure would give it a try. It's superb.\

[EDIT]: DEPAAAAAAY. Why isn't this kid starting, start the lad Louis! He brings a new dimension to the team, plays an excellent support role out wide and up front. 2-0 Netherlands at FT, good luck in the next round to both them and Chile and er...nothing else to see here today, obviously.
Fabi
The game was so intense, overall a great game. Texas did a good job but the Nedetherlands played intelligently with counterattacks and winning in the air. Also, I didn't like the changes Sampaoli did.
DeathXHunter
That wasnt intense,at all.
Tanzklaue

LaVolpe024 wrote:

Could everyone who has no interest and no knowledge whatsoever about football please not post in this thread and when putting on a tie attach the other end to a light fitting? Sincerely, a very bemused man.

Dutch delight in Sao Paolo but can they hold on until FT? How can the Dutch not play well with this marvelously attractive kit? Everyone wants that kit, even the Germans I'm sure would give it a try. It's superb.\

[EDIT]: DEPAAAAAAY. Why isn't this kid starting, start the lad Louis! He brings a new dimension to the team, plays an excellent support role out wide and up front. 2-0 Netherlands at FT, good luck in the next round to both them and Chile and er...nothing else to see here today, obviously.
we germans are very happy with what we have, it just doesn't work sometimes.

as does the dutch team.
bmin11
Ofcourse Torres scores the most irrelevant goal, but also his last WC goal of his career
Vish024
*grumble**grumble*

I have to say though it was a valiant effort from us, everyone fully expected us to get run over but we played hard and most importantly attacked instead of settling back. I suppose that's something I like about Ange.
Fabi

A1. Brazil
A2. Mexico
Trash Boat
^ we should have expected it. they are the host after all
Kanye West
I don't think the result would have changed even if Brazil didn't get the bullshit calls though.
Vish024
ITA-URU the big game tonight, my money's still on Italy to progress.

Aside from that here's a little something for Gladi and those shamelessly football-skeptic Finns.

JonnyThatJonny
Can't believe how great Herrera has been in that Mexico midfield. A disastrous 1st season at my club and now showing his true potential. I'm still keeping my theory that he has a twin brother who can't even kick a ball that he sends to Porto during the rest of the year.
Andrea
Moreno strikes again, red card from nowhere.

I have nothing to say except that I'm disgusted.
Leader
We sucked so hard but.. how can you let Uruguay pass after this Suarez thing again
Snepif

Andrea wrote:

Are you saying that it was not red-card worthy?

Also, the referee was heavily in Italy's favour the whole damn time, so c'mon FIFA, keep bringing your corrupt referees :)
JonnyThatJonny
"Suarez with his bulldog like approach"

Snepif wrote:

Andrea wrote:

Also, the referee was heavily in Italy's favour the whole damn time, so c'mon FIFA, keep bringing your corrupt referees :)
Oh cmon, the red card was harsh. And how can you send off a player for that and keep Suarez in game after THAT.
bmin11

Welp lol
Leader

Snepif wrote:

Andrea wrote:

1 penalty not given for Uruguay = 1 invented red card to Italy (that was a pure yellow, we'd see 2/3 red card per match if that was red worthy)

That's fair like this, I can't complain more and I don't really see why the referee was in our favour for the whole match, nor yours

then Suarez arrived lol
Snepif
If you think that was not red card worthy, you have never played a football match.
Well judging by your country's performance... that might be very true indeed..

Oh and the referee not giving 3 fouls to Uruguay in the last minutes and extending the match more than the 5 mins, etc etc...
Leader

Snepif wrote:

If you think that was not red card worthy, you have never played a football match.
Well judging by your country's performance... that might be very true indeed..

Oh and the referee not giving 3 fouls to Uruguay in the last minutes and extending the match more than the 5 mins, etc etc...
What are you even saying, 5 mins are normal in such case and the referee extended to 6 because Muslera wasted a minute to kick a ball (this happens often, not gonna complain).

By the way, Marchisio wasn't intentional, he moved like that in order to protect the ball with his whole body, but he accidentaly touched his knee whe the match was rather calm and nobody was nervous. He was late, but the match wasn't nervous at all, so I'd give a yellow card, but I'm pretty sure he did this to compensate the missed penalty. I'm looking to other countries' comments and it seems like the referee was wrong tho, lol
Tanzklaue
both teams showed despicable foulbased football and it's really sad that not both of them have to go.
Snepif
My dear, in football, you can't go to the ball with your foot in a vertical position, your foot's tip must be down making your foot horizontal, if not, it's a severe foul, and if it hits the other guy it's 100% red worthy. We call it plancha here and it's foul even if it doesn't hit the guy, so imagine what happens if it does. You can't approach the ball in an agressive position towards the other player.
Deimos

A red card for that? Really?
Leader

Snepif wrote:

My dear, in football, you can't go to the ball with your foot in a vertical position, your foot's tip must be down making your foot horizontal, if not, it's a severe foul, and if it hits the other guy it's 100% red worthy. We call it plancha here and it's foul even if it doesn't hit the guy, so imagine what happens if it does. You can't approach the ball in an agressive position towards the other player.
Then again, I rarely saw something like this happening in Europe, but we knew that this referee was strict and we should have expected that
Snepif

Deimos wrote:

A red card for that? Really?
He didn't even go for the ball, lol... you should really start playing some football :P

Anyway it was a close and kinda ugly match, ggwp
[- Alex -]
Netherlands year . I believe .
Mikelicious
Deimos
He didn't even go for the ball, lol... you should really start playing some football :P

Anyway it was a close and kinda ugly match, ggwp

I didn't said that he doesn't deserve it.

But I really hope that Luis Suarez is going to be banned or they should pull out all of his teeth. Something is wrong in his head.
Tetsu_old
All I have to say is...

LOOOOOOOOOOOL! Samaras, what a player! The Greek Torres!
bmin11
lol lol lol No one would have seen this coming. What a way to advance through the group stage.
Kanye West

WingsOfDeadthx wrote:

Robben legit looks like the most dangerous player in the tournament. Their chances are pretty darn good I'd say.
Fabi

Like seriously, why? WHY BITE?! hahaha
JonnyThatJonny
A lot of favorite european teams going out and meanwhile Greece just skimmed through the last 16 with a last minute penalty.

I was expecting a lucky win from the result, but from the highlights they really dominated that one, well deserved.
SpeechClass
This world cup is disaster to european, asian teams. Italy, Japan bye bye
Tanzklaue

Kanye West wrote:

WingsOfDeadthx wrote:

Robben legit looks like the most dangerous player in the tournament. Their chances are pretty darn good I'd say.
müller is better.

so are messi and ronaldo, neymar, some others.

SpeechClass wrote:

This world cup is disaster to european, asian teams. Italy, Japan bye bye
that's okay, the last 8 years were heavily dominated by european teams, and europe still has some presence in the round of 16.
Trash Boat
15 hours remaining...
Vish024
In my opinion the Marchisio decision could've gone either way, the manner in which he approached the challenge was dangerous and you can understand why the referee chose to send him off. At the same time it looks like he was simply trying to shield the ball and at most deserved a yellow, we've all seen reds given for worse challenges than that.

Suarez the pantomime villain strikes again, if he had been sent off for that bite incident I can guarantee you that they would not have scored that goal and would've lost momentum. If FIFA had their wits about them they'd suspend him for a lengthy number of matches, for life if possible. All in all I think Italy were quite unlucky and definitely didn't deserve to be knocked out in this fashion, I hope Colombia annihilate Uruguay in the upcoming second round.

Also what a performance by Greece and Samaras, well done boys. Poor CIV still haven't made the second round in their short world cup history.
show more