forum

pause button

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +18
Topic Starter
Zakdawg
Could be really awesome if there was a dedicated pause button.

With more and more songs having no breaks it is often necessary to pause to readjust the mouse. Sadly for me it happens often that I hit the retry / back to menu as they fill most of the screen.
Spyrunite
Literally never had this problem.
XPJ38
Escape button already pauses/unpauses. What's the point?
Kuchibiiru
Press ESC or if you want the button to be closer, Switch the controls up to your liking and set the pause button to a different one
Spyrunite
I think he wants it to just pause the game and make it the screen where you have to click on the circle to begin because he accidently clicks on the wrong thing on the menu.

I think there is a way to change where you need to click for the menu stuff. Either that or people just put the buttons in weird spots on some skins.
Topic Starter
Zakdawg

XPJ38 wrote:

The point is that the escape button is rarely used to actually pause, but instead for either retrying or returning to song select. Therefore those functions are also conveniently placed right in the middle as 2 huge buttons. It is very easy to accidentally hit one of those. Especially since mouse buttons are enabled at the menu.
Coffee Hero

Zakdawg wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

The point is that the escape button is rarely used to actually pause, but instead for either retrying or returning to song select. Therefore those functions are also conveniently placed right in the middle as 2 huge buttons. It is very easy to accidentally hit one of those. Especially since mouse buttons are enabled at the menu.
if you put blank images for pause-back.png, pause-continue.png the only way you can retry or go back to menu is by using the arrow keys.
XPJ38

Zakdawg wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

But you don't actually have to use the mouse to unpause. Just press Escape to pause, leave your mouse aside, and press Escape again to unpause.
Topic Starter
Zakdawg
TSC: that would just be way more annoying for all the times that I do want to retry or return to menu.

XPJ38: Trust me if it was that simple I would not bother creating a topic. It is also not a problem that happens every single time, as it seems you guys think. However when it happens it is extremely frustrating.
FrzR
My hand is already accurate on insta-pause, exit when i'm starting to feel i'm failing on a map. XD

No thanks. Escape button is good enough. Does the "Wait for 1 second to pause again" thing bother you?
Topic Starter
Zakdawg

Fr33z3R wrote:

My hand is already accurate on insta-pause, exit when i'm starting to feel i'm failing on a map. XD

No thanks. Escape button is good enough. Does the "Wait for 1 second to pause again" thing bother you?
what?
Kuchibiiru

Zakdawg wrote:

Fr33z3R wrote:

what?
There is a 1 second delay before you can pause again
MarioBound
Once you keep playing long enough, your hands will instantly reach for the Esc button like its second nature.
Topic Starter
Zakdawg

iDolan wrote:

There is a 1 second delay before you can pause again
Yeah... but that has nothing to do with this request at all.

MarioBound wrote:

Once you keep playing long enough, your hands will instantly reach for the Esc button like its second nature.
I have not said I had problems reaching the Esc button at all. My problem to be specific is that on long fast songs without any breaks. I find a slider which I hit and immediately press Esc after (which I have rebinded). I use x/z and have therefore mouse muttons disabled during game play, because I sometimes press the mouse buttons down for a better grip. So in those rare cases where it happens that i pause and hit a mouse button. It makes me wonder why osu! doesn't have a normal pause button instead of merging it together with the Esc key, as it would prevent these incidents.
sheela
So, you mean that you always hit Retry, or Back to Menu button when you pause the game. Maybe adding a button that prevents the clicking.
FireFoxZX
#bosskey XD
Choclodous
I don't think this is really necessary.
Myke B
The classic "pause button pls" post :P. I think that having a button that pauses and un-pauses would be much better then having that little annoying orange circle. The most common reason for why we can't have that is, because people would abuse it like they did with the old pause. Solution could possibly be just limiting the number of pauses you can have for each play.
Seijiro
To tell you the truth I never had these kind of problems. I usually retry or go back to the menu, but to use the ESC button (or what you want) just for pausing the game... I never did it before and I don't think I'm gonna use it for this purpose...
[ Stellar ]
there's already a button with that function.....