forum

Been playing for nearly 4 months, still can't pass hards.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Talinoth
Well that last play was painful...

I actually had 92% accuracy on a Hard I was playing. I managed to survive the earlier difficulty spikes by trying to almost spam-click during the unreadable patterns, then carefully recovered my hp bar by hitting all of the easier stuff in between with perfect accuracy to recover my hp bar.

But then, right before the end of the song, easily over a dozen different objects popped up on the screen, and I had a mini panic attack and failed.

Osu is too damn hard lol.

At least I know exactly why I'm failing these maps now -

1: High HP drain means I have to have at LEAST 80% or so accuracy or I fail by default. This wouldn't be so bad by itself, except
2: The BPM of these songs are usually fairly manageable until they mysteriously double in chorus sections, where the mapper is clearly trying to show off and the patterns become far more complex at the same time.
3: Because even just a few missed notes in sequence makes you fail an entire beatmap, despite your previous accuracy, these chorus sections act as bottlenecks, forcing you to play halfway through the map over and over again to fail in exactly the same place again and again.

A painful, painful experience.

For now, I think I'll stick to grinding Sakaue Nachi - End of Daylight (Normal) and try to get my rank into the top 25 instead of just the top 50.
PlasticSmoothie
Keep playing different maps. Playing the same normals over and over again for a better rank on them when you have already fc'd with decent accuracy isn't gonna get you anywhere. Challenge yourself. Play things that are difficult but still passable.
Soon you'll try a hard and it won't be so scary.
darkmiz
check the how to improve at osu thread

check your mouse settings, use a clean skin, dim background and disable video
buny

Talinoth wrote:

Well that last play was painful...

I actually had 92% accuracy on a Hard I was playing. I managed to survive the earlier difficulty spikes by trying to almost spam-click during the unreadable patterns, then carefully recovered my hp bar by hitting all of the easier stuff in between with perfect accuracy to recover my hp bar.

But then, right before the end of the song, easily over a dozen different objects popped up on the screen, and I had a mini panic attack and failed.

Osu is too damn hard lol.

At least I know exactly why I'm failing these maps now -

1: High HP drain means I have to have at LEAST 80% or so accuracy or I fail by default. This wouldn't be so bad by itself, except
2: The BPM of these songs are usually fairly manageable until they mysteriously double in chorus sections, where the mapper is clearly trying to show off and the patterns become far more complex at the same time.
3: Because even just a few missed notes in sequence makes you fail an entire beatmap, despite your previous accuracy, these chorus sections act as bottlenecks, forcing you to play halfway through the map over and over again to fail in exactly the same place again and again.

A painful, painful experience.

For now, I think I'll stick to grinding Sakaue Nachi - End of Daylight (Normal) and try to get my rank into the top 25 instead of just the top 50.
1: Get better then
2: LOL no. Just because you can't do it does NOT mean it's showing off OR overmapping
3: No again, learn to play and stop finding excuses for the fact that you're utter crap

It sickens me that your last statement clearly shows that you're somebody that won't even bother to put in effort to improve, still lingering in the normal-difficulty range.
Topic Starter
Talinoth

VICTORY!

After like 50 tries of that particular map, and a hundred or so tries on other hards, I finally passed a hard!

YAYYYY!

EDIT:

2: LOL no. Just because you can't do it does NOT mean it's showing off OR overmapping
3: No again, learn to play and stop finding excuses for the fact that you're utter crap

It sickens me that your last statement clearly shows that you're somebody that won't even bother to put in effort to improve, still lingering in the normal-difficulty range.
Odd. Your cutesy-cutesy anime avatar almost directly clashes with the horrendous negativity and venom in your post.

First, I have no problem with getting a higher accuracy rate for these ones. That's natural.

I never said there was anything wrong specifically with showing off. It just irks me that the difficulty drastically increases in these sections in a way that doesn't naturally flow with the rest of the map.

And three, please don't put words in my mouth. Where was I making excuses? I never tried to hide the fact I'm not good at this game.

"Fact that you're utter crap?" Oooh, that stung me a little. I need to go find myself some tiny tiny band-aids and put some ice on that horrific burn you just gave me. I'll be feeling that one for DAYS.

Clearly you make up for your lack of social skills and superior holier-than-thou attitude with your amazing osu prowess. Top 1000 in the game is really pretty awesome but I'm not sure that it justifies how nasty that post was. Have you sacrificed your social skills for the ability to full combo Insanes?
itsRadikal
Just keep trying, no matter how painful, annoying it gets, just keep trying, it worked for me. Try doing different hard maps, and if you can't pass those, try other ones, then if you feel like it, do the ones you couldn't do the previous time.

It really all comes down to patience.
Every journey begins with a small step.
Weed
If you're going to stick to normal maps for awhile at least put mods on. You won't learn much from doing the same shit. Also this is a good starter map for 5 stars. Play the hard difficulty of that
Topic Starter
Talinoth
If you're going to stick to normal maps for awhile at least put mods on. You won't learn much from doing the same shit. Also this is a good starter map for 5 stars. Play the hard difficulty of that
I always put mods on my Normals, at least. I can full combo practically every Normal I have with Hard Rock, and I can do End of Daylight (normal) with HR+HD+FL and get FC.

Thank you very much for the link btw. I'll check it out now.

EDIT: It's certainly not the easiest of the ones I've been trying... but it's really fun and I like the song. I'll probably won't take too long to get the rhythm (because the rhythm is so pronounced), so I'll give it a solid couple dozen attempts.
TheVileOne
I'm not sure what you mean by difficulty spikes. Are you sure you're playing current maps? Hards shouldn't be having severe difficulty spikes.
scottyyy
It sounds like you need to play a bigger variety of maps. For me at least, playing the same 5-10 maps over and over really stagnated my skill. I don't make that mistake anymore and I've improved a lot since then.

Go and download like 50 maps that sound good and just play through them once each. After going through them go back to the one you're struggling with and I bet you'll pass it. Preferably ones mapped within the last year or two. They're less awkward than some old maps.
Dexus
Now that you've made the first pass on [hard] you should keep at playing those types of maps. I can say that playing [normal] and [easy] will make it a slow progression in developing skill. If you start to sit on stuff that is too easy you may get relaxed and stop improving. Once you get into this rut it's rather difficult to get out of because the skillset you've put yourself into is all you really know. I can speak from experience on this matter. However, It's a wonderful experience to improve in this game. It always seems like it's non-stop challenging too because there is always a map out there that you can not handle. You just have to find the right steps to get up there. (Some can find it faster than others, but don't sweat it)

Good luck and have fun, I really have one key advice for this game: Don't care about your rank or anyone else's rank for that matter. Everyone understands that it's highly inaccurate at determining who is actually good and who isn't. Skill can't be measured in just numbers. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses to this game, so even then it really is hard to compare one player to another even in high level plays. Some can be super consistent, some are great at mod plays, some are just super fast at jumps, some can easily read out any map, some are rock solid steady at streams, Some can just pull off amazing scores through sheer dedication. They can come in all different assortments, but the few that can pull the everything together, those are the good players and they are well known.
Topic Starter
Talinoth
I have a confession to make.

Usually I wouldn't be bothered about the speed of my progress... buuut...

I have a friend in real life who started playing Osu about 2 months after I did.

At this time, I was struggling to full combo normals - let alone attempt hards. The prick then comes back to me about a week after he started and says "Hey man, I can do Hards now, this game is really easy!"

My experience - over two months
His experience - one week
My skill - barely FC'ing some normals
His skill - he could do Hards

"FUUUUUU-"

And there you have it. My motivation to create this thread :(

Then again, I never checked to see if he was actually just talking $#!% or not... I have some investigation to do, gentlemen.

Thank you to everybody who gave positive answers. Special mention to bewaredrev, who linked me to a beatmap pack with a song that isn't one more of the happy-go-lucky slice-of-life anime-bull$#!% themes that appears to be all over the Ranked beatmaps section.
I seriously appreciate that :)
SkylXTumn
Hey, firstly, I'm not too sure on what you mean by not being able to play [hard]'s. Do you really mean the difficulty of hards or insanes? The screenshot you posted of you achieving rank B on that song was an Insane, lol. Mappers don't always classify all maps that is classified by Osu as insane as Insane or any indicator of that sort.

Just look at the beatmap's page and you can look at the alphabet just before the difficulty. E = Easy, N = Normal, H = Hard, I = Insane. That was why I think someone else asked you how come you were facing difficulty spikes in a map that is a hard, I think. (speculation)

Only insanes generally have those, generally. I think. I've only been around for a month though, and I play mostly insanes, some classified as 'hard' by the mappers but I just follow Osu's classification on those maps.

About your friend.. Well everyone improves at different rates. Some are just really good at Osu while others are not. I can say though, that indeed, the best way to improving at Osu is just practice, and practicing frequently. I have 1.5k plays 1 month in, and quite some many days I wasn't around. But then again, everyone has different amounts of time that they are able to spend on Osu. In any case, I'm sure you'll see a vast improvement sooner or later.

Best of luck to you!
Topic Starter
Talinoth
If THAT was an Insane, it was literally the easiest Insane in the history of Osu. Almost all of the Hard maps I have are harder than that.

Yes, I took a look at the beatmap's page, and it IS classified as an "Insane", but the difficulty definitely resembles a very easy hard map.

Somebody should totally look into that, or scrubs like me will be able to falsely say "Rofl, you guys are so bad, I was able to do my first insane with only 4 months play! Get better"

So yeah, to answer the question, it's Hards I'm having trouble with. In general, it's a problem with hitting more stuff on screen faster that I'm working through. It's also a problem with not being able to work through large patterns on high approach rates.
Mostly it's because I'm bad.

But I'm getting better, at least.
My hand hurts SO much after playing today though, I think I really do need to take a one day break.
SkylXTumn
There are a wide variety of insanes, lol, classified by the beatmap's pages anyway. What I look at is normally the success rate. For that map, it has a 26% success rate, and indeed, that is a very high success rate, hence hinting it as a rather easy map. ;p
Bauxe
Play more harder songs instead of trying to get good ranks on easy / normal.

WindyExplorer
i would say try and enjoy the game more then straight hard grinding practice lol i use to be stuck on normals and my friend does hard and some insanes but after awhile i just stared to enjoy the game more and work on my tapping since in the faster maps u gotta be able to tap faster, now i can do hards and maybe few insanes but if u focus on how u improve more then enjoy the game u wont notice it.

i spent maybe 7 months on normals and easys lol and stared to work into some hards that my friend threw at me and he would lol saying if u dont try hards u wont ever be able to do it so i started to do them even if i failed but sooner or later i started to notice i could tap fast enough and jump around decent enough to play them now. every once and awhile ill jump back on a normal and throw dt and hd to improve my accuracy and tapping speed then go try a hard one sometimes it works sometimes i fail and i just keep trying.

everybody improves at a different rate some just take longer some just are natural born osu ppl o_O.
brendanuhs
buny is right though. ranked hards aren't the maps that mappers like to overmap random shit everywhere. that would be unranked/high-high level insanes. and you seriously deimprove by playing easy/normal because you get used to low note density, low ar and retardedly low od. like on most normals i can "miss" or hit it way off time that it should be a miss, and still get a 300. wtf.
tl;dr: stop playing easy stuff. don't complain about maps. you're not at the level where you know what you're talking about.
winber1
nofail should be your best friend by now
Wishy
Playing Easies and Normals is a waste of time and you should not play any of them after 1 or 2 days into the game.

Also, playcount.
buny

Talinoth wrote:

VICTORY!

After like 50 tries of that particular map, and a hundred or so tries on other hards, I finally passed a hard!

YAYYYY!

EDIT:

Odd. Your cutesy-cutesy anime avatar almost directly clashes with the horrendous negativity and venom in your post.

First, I have no problem with getting a higher accuracy rate for these ones. That's natural.

I never said there was anything wrong specifically with showing off. It just irks me that the difficulty drastically increases in these sections in a way that doesn't naturally flow with the rest of the map.

And three, please don't put words in my mouth. Where was I making excuses? I never tried to hide the fact I'm not good at this game.

"Fact that you're utter crap?" Oooh, that stung me a little. I need to go find myself some tiny tiny band-aids and put some ice on that horrific burn you just gave me. I'll be feeling that one for DAYS.

Clearly you make up for your lack of social skills and superior holier-than-thou attitude with your amazing osu prowess. Top 1000 in the game is really pretty awesome but I'm not sure that it justifies how nasty that post was. Have you sacrificed your social skills for the ability to full combo Insanes?
The fact that you're trying to insult me on something other than the topic is that you lack evidence to prove me otherwise.
You made the excuse by simply blaming the map rather than taking the fault. Just try to reread what you said and tell yourself that you don't sound like a whiny brat.

Clearly you make up for your lack of social skills and superior holier-than-thou attitude with your amazing osu prowess.
Lol. Who's putting words in whose mouth, now? This is a stop-bitching-because-youre-shit attitude.
Sal32

Talinoth wrote:

VICTORY!

YAYYYY!

EDIT:

Hey at least you are better than me...I can't pass this map =="
Xcrypt
Sorry, but I was able to clear my first hard within the first two hours of play on my first day of osu and I'm pretty sure some people are even lots faster than that.

I'm not blaming you for being a slow learner, but you can't cry for ages over it. I think it's cool that you're still sticking with the game because that shows you really like it. You just have to like stop frustrating yourself over how other people compare to you, because it doesn't matter. Just focus on your own performance, or even just focus on having fun.
Soulg
focus on improving and stop caring about anything aside from that and having fun

if you are convinced you should have hit a note but you missed it watch the replay and see how you missed it and use that to go back and hit the note correctly

try using a different skin aside from osu basic

turn hitsounds up and focus on the hitcircles and the music playing in the background

there are countless things you can do to improve, bitching on the forums isn't one of them
plus everybody improves at different rates, its not your fault so just have fun and work on it at your own pace.
Rinku
You just need to play more. 1k plays in 4 months is pretty low. I have 6k plays in 2 months and i was able to play insanes like week 2. Peoples skill varies but I can guarantee that you can play insanes after 3k playcount assuming you get it in a reasonable amount of time and you challenge yourself. If you play songs you can already get an A rank in theres little to no benifit to play it again.

This is just another "need to practice" thread. If you don't have 3k+ playcount or achieved it in a long period of time your going to be bad. It's also disappointing to see threads like these daily.

The best way to get better is to stop asking for help and just play.
Sal32

-Rinku- wrote:

Soarezi
Dont expect to get better if u barely play. I can get like 900 playcount in a day if i wanted.
Aqo

Soarezi wrote:

Dont expect to get better if u barely play. I can get like 900 playcount in a day if i wanted.
But can you do it without pressing Retry or Esc? Can you? That's the real question yo

[Why Not Me? More like "Why me"] have fun spending 8 hours on this
Aeren
/
Topic Starter
Talinoth
I'm afraid playing much more than I do will be hard in some ways.

I can probably double (maybe even triple? who knows) my plays per day average by just playing Osu every day instead of every so often. That's a given.

But the whole "I can do 900 plays in a single day, get on my level" malarkey is just completely infeasible for health reasons.

If I play this game for more than 5 hours a day, it almost certainly WILL do damage to my hand/wrist. Continuing to play when you're getting those oh-so-familiar twinges just feels like a very bad idea. That's why I stop.

Anyway, I always make a full recovery after I take a break, and I get very, very slightly better each time. The time investment to make meaningful progress is a bit annoying though. Is it like this for everyone else?

It's strange actually. I feel like a lot of my spare time goes in to playing this game - but apparently, it's not quite enough yet.

Now to address some points made.

nofail should be your best friend by now
Nofail is... I don't know... it feels evil...
My main fear with No-Fail is that I'll end up developing weird habits and lackluster accuracy from just spamming on hit circles on high BPM maps instead of making calculated but slower moves on lower BPM maps that get me better scores.

Plus, that one time I did use No-Fail (to pass a Normal actually, it was a long time back) it gave me literally the worst score anyone's ever gotten for the map. Like, I looked at the highscore list, and my score was the VERY LOWEST score in the entire 9000 long list. Ouch.

Sal32 wrote:

-Rinku- wrote:

Yes, I realise that I need to practice more.

I probably just needed validation because A: My progress seems damningly slow from my own perspective and B: My RL friend is already 4x better at this and he hasn't played as long. I know, that's a pretty shallow reason to post this thread. I know that.

I'm a human being though, and I can't help but be irked at how he smirks at me while he thinks "Still having trouble, are you?". Grrr.

The fact that you're trying to insult me on something other than the topic is that you lack evidence to prove me otherwise.
You made the excuse by simply blaming the map rather than taking the fault. Just try to reread what you said and tell yourself that you don't sound like a whiny brat.

Quote:
Clearly you make up for your lack of social skills and superior holier-than-thou attitude with your amazing osu prowess.

Lol. Who's putting words in whose mouth, now? This is a stop-bitching-because-youre-shit attitude.
Bam. Right there. I'm afraid that you were the first to make personal insults, *sir*. I'm not trying to prove otherwise that I'm a bad player because I can't. I never did try. I've acknowledged from the beginning that I'm a bad player. Understand?

I did re-read my own post. I'll admit there are things I could have phrased better. Have you re-read your own? It's also unnecessarily harsh, if you haven't noticed.

I NEVER, EVER, EVER blamed the map for the fact that *I* failed. I simply stated my OWN inability to deal with the flashy, artsy sections that mappers throw into their Hards. That's not the mappers' fault - they can do whatever they want, it's their map - it's my fault for not being able to pass it.

I never put words back in your mouth. I made a character judgement, based on your achievements in Osu and what you've said to me.

And really, "stop-bitching-because-you're-shit attitude"? What do you think holier-than-thou actually means? It means you're holding yourself above me because you're very very good at Osu and I'm very very bad. Aren't you just telling me I shouldn't have an opinion, one way or the other, because I'm not as skilled as you? I don't like that idea. Even if I WAS bitching about Hards being too flashy or overmapped (which I wasn't, btw), my opinion wouldn't be automatically disqualified just because I'm not amazing at the game.

I'd even forgive all the negativity if you had something worthwhile to say. But you didn't. You didn't have anything worthwhile to say. Perhaps you too, needed to think before opening their mouth? You didn't help. You didn't contribute. You didn't even just say "Practice more!". You did none of these things. The sum total of everything you have said to me is "You're shit". And that's it.
Why did you even bother posting? Why did you? Because you wanted to try and ruin somebody elses day, lol. That's all you came here for.

This "conversation" has been pretty reassuring though. Because you've revealed to me in your own little way, that you're just a human being like everyone else. That you don't need to be a robot to play Osu - because you're not a robot. You're just a bit of a jerk over the Internet, that happens to be good at getting very high scores on Hards and Insanes.

So in your own way I guess, you were very helpful to me. Congratulations - you've actually made my day.
Thank you. <3
mcdoomfrag
You are WAY over thinking this. When I was at 1000 playcount, I was still having fun beating and normal maps and DT+HR easy maps. Not that you shouldn't aim high, it's just that at this level there aren't 'tricks' or 'tips' to make you better. Hell, even at a higher level, posting on the forums and arguing with people isn't going to solve anything. Just play the damn game. Stop visiting the forums in the hopes of some magic revelation that will make you better and just do what everyone is telling you to do. Practice makes perfect, and most importantly enjoy the game.
Wishy
Editing cause no point.
Nysis
I think you need to simply play more ^^ (idk, I started to get to trying to fc normals, until 50-60's, to hards, and stuff.)
Also you're play count isn't as high as others doing hard modos.
Arcanine
just keep playing more

i know how you feel bb

i was like you in da beginning with the most noob song. now i'm trying to pass airman and i've made little progress

YukinoDesuDesu
You should buy a tablet.
Gigo

Asiangodx2 wrote:

You should buy a tablet.
Absolutely! After all, it's a proven fact that osu simply CAN NOT be played with a mouse. Good mouse players DO NOT exist in osu. Everybody, if you are wondering why you suck at osu, it's because you are playing with a mouse. Buy a tablet... now!
Full Tablet

Artaxerx wrote:

Asiangodx2 wrote:

You should buy a tablet.
Absolutely! After all, it's a proven fact that osu simply CAN NOT be played with a mouse. Good mouse players DO NOT exist in osu. Everybody, if you are wondering why you suck at osu, it's because you are playing with a mouse. Buy a tablet... now!
Exactly.
Mystrian_old
Play james maps.

Artaxerx wrote:

Asiangodx2 wrote:

You should buy a tablet.
NoClue and SiLviA are good mouse players
Kanye West
Been playing for more than 2 years.

Still can't pass hards.
Soarezi
been playing for 9 months, still can't FC big black
show more