forum

Dangan Ronpa

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
momp
i couldn't find a thread for dangan ronpa, so i decided to make one! ( i wasn't sure if this should go in video games or otaku culture, please move it if you must. )

for those who are unfamiliar, dangan ronpa is a murder mystery game released in 2010 for the psp. you can read more about it here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangan_Ronpa there's also a sequel, super dangan ronpa 2, which was released last year. many say it's similar to phoenix wright, but i can't say since i haven't played those games. it's also got some dating sim elements in it, but love is the last thing you should expect. (save for one particular character...)

although the games haven't been released outside of japan, it's recently gained quite a fanbase and has been translated here -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397

if you actually sit down and read the translation, it should take from a few days to a week to complete it.

so uh...discuss! :oops:

e: added a link to translation and added more info on the game.
nakimushineko
Looks cool desu.

Why didn't I know about this game back then my psp is still working? ;A;
And it's a murder mystery game. *^*
I wan to play it~ :<

Is it good?
Topic Starter
momp

nakimushineko wrote:

Looks cool desu.

Why didn't I know about this game back then my psp is still working? ;A;
And it's a murder mystery game. *^*
I wan to play it~ :<

Is it good?
i haven't played it myself, since i don't have a psp and it hasn't been released in the us, but the gameplay is pretty good. you can easily find videos of it on youtube!
Faust
Awaiting the release of the TV animation (schedule to air later this year)

Unfortunately, I haven't PSP, and I can't read Japanese either. All I do is read up a lot on the DR universe.
Topic Starter
momp

Faust wrote:

Awaiting the release of the TV animation (schedule to air later this year)

Unfortunately, I haven't PSP, and I can't read Japanese either. All I do is read up a lot on the DR universe.
pretty much the same here. i hate waiting for sdr2 translation updates :o
Apex_old
This game is literally is Phoenix Wright on acid.

Great and shocking visual effects like it's on acid, a bad storyline like it's on acid, and good but disturbing characters like it's on acid.

I love Tsumiki Mikan from Dangan Ronpa 2!!!!! :)
mathexpert
This actually looks really interesting, its a shame that I don't have a psp though
Akimari_old
Y'all don't need a PSP to experience the wonderful world of the Dangan Ronpas.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3447397 That nice young person has created a Let's Play for us. All of the first game is translated and Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is in the process.

You all should read it though. It's very intriguing, and with the large casts of characters its hard to find someone you don't like.
has
Hm, it looks quite interesting. I do own a PSP but can't read japanese at all.
May as well just read the translations once I get some free time.
Topic Starter
momp
once you get into it, you won't be able to stop because it's that addicting. :o i stopped playing osu for like a week so i could finish it!
Kanata
wow finally i found a dangan ronpa thread. <o><o>
i have a psp but i cant japanese orz
btw im looking forward for the anime adaption, aha. <3
has
After a month, I finally started reading it. Just got to chapter two.
I gotta say that all of the character are quite interesting, and most of them are very likeable (except for whatshisface guy who draws doujins and is freaking annoying). And poor Junko, she was definitely one of my favourites. I didn't expect three characters to die at the same chapter, but oh well.

So good so far. I'll probably finish it this week.
Topic Starter
momp

Holyja wrote:

After a month, I finally started reading it. Just got to chapter two.
I gotta say that all of the character are quite interesting, and most of them are very likeable (except for whatshisface guy who draws doujins and is freaking annoying). And poor Junko, she was definitely one of my favourites. I didn't expect three characters to die at the same chapter, but oh well.

So good so far. I'll probably finish it this week.
yeah it's kinda hard to not like the characters. there were some i didn't like at first, but i eventually grew attached to them. too bad most of them have to die. :o
Apex_old
I summed up DGRP in a sentence, with 4 famous movie titles:

Because of Fight Club, 2012 happens, people are put into a source code, and they do battle royale.

P.S.: 2012 is not the best explanation/movie for a end-of-the-world scenario, anyone got a better example?
Topic Starter
momp
less than two weeks until the anime premieres! i'm so excited!! :D
ixsq
has anyone tried running the project zetsubou patch yet?

i'm thinking of picking up a used psp just to play this but im not sure if v1.0 has any major bugs seeing as it was just released

for anyone that isnt aware: http://danganronpa.wordpress.com/
Mogsy
I've been running the Project Zetsubou patch, and I've honestly not run into many problems. Think it's a good translation. even if I agree with the usage of Monokuma instead of Monobear because the portmanteau/pun makes more sense in Japanese, guys
Haneii
upupupu <3
has
I didn't know there was an English patch until last week. I'll probably start playing it today, ah yes. <3
Topic Starter
momp
i personally think some of the jokes used in the translation are a bit cheesy, but i think they did a good job overall!
ShiroganeVII
Can't wait for the animation.... :)
has

ShiroganeVII wrote:

I heard it will air on July 3rd though I'm not really sure um well I hope so!!
Topic Starter
momp

Holyja wrote:

ShiroganeVII wrote:

I heard it will air on July 3rd though I'm not really sure um well I hope so!!
it airs july 5th!!
Elly-chan
bump. dingle ropes. how did you like the first episode, everybody? chihiro almost crying twice hit me right in the heart. damn, i'm a sucker for that cutie. i really liked touko in the first episode too. not a very interesting and attention episode i'd say, but it's just the beginning of the story! man, i can't wait for genocider syo. i look forward to the next episode.
Topic Starter
momp
i enjoyed it! i agree it wasn't really an attention grabber, but anyone that's played/read the game knows it'll get better.
DaddyCoolVipper

Apex wrote:

I summed up DGRP in a sentence, with 4 famous movie titles:

Because of Fight Club, 2012 happens, people are put into a source code, and they do battle royale.

P.S.: 2012 is not the best explanation/movie for a end-of-the-world scenario, anyone got a better example?
Apocalypse Now and Armageddon?
has
I beat the game yesterday ahahaha what the bonk was going on
Lilac
I don't think I can ever finish the game knowing that Chihiro actually bites the dust.

I just really can't.
Topic Starter
momp

Lilac wrote:

I don't think I can ever finish the game knowing that Chihiro actually bites the dust.

I just really can't.
well there's still alter ego.
Elly-chan

momp wrote:

Lilac wrote:

I just really can't.
so fucking true i'm laughign

but seriously chihiro biting the dust totally hit me in the heart ahhh. i really liked the poor guy. unu
Topic Starter
momp

Elly-chan wrote:

momp wrote:

so fucking true i'm laughign

but seriously chihiro biting the dust totally hit me in the heart ahhh. i really liked the poor guy. unu
yeah i was. really upset. and also i thought togami killed her because of how he got pissed at her. so i was mad at him the entire chapter.
DaddyCoolVipper
Togami's a really awful person. How DARE he touch his corpse like that, messing around, making jokes... truly horrible.
show more