forum

display video/backgrounds in widescreen [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
qlum
Currently if the aspect ratio of a video is 16x9 which most are and you are running a 16x9 screen you will see black bars both on the side of the screen and on the bottom and top. I suggest that it at least be an option to expand the video over the whole width of the screen eliminating the black bars. and if you have for example a 16x9 video on a 16x10 screen it should expand to the full width of the screen and have small black bars on the bottom and top. The other way around 16x10 video on 16x9 screen would give small black bars on the side. Pretty simple, and it would look a lot better.

Two and a half years ago when I first wrote this topic there was the issue if we allowed this we would essentially make a lot of the game for widescreen gamers by default making it a lot less attractive for still the majority then running on 4x3 this has changed however first of all the vast majority of all the background video on osu! Is already in widescreen resolutions so I doubt it will change much there. Second, a lot more people are running widescreen nowadays, I think recently we got to the point that a widescreen resolution was finally more common than a 4x3 one.

We could also allow 2 background images one for 16x9 and one for 4x3 shame for the other aspect ratios but as far as I know they are still less common and at least somewhat similar to the two so it wouldn't be that much of a problem.
awp
Storyboards are made to 640x480 and upscaled

do you think they should be stretched?
Kitsunemimi
It might not work for storyboards (although you never know), but for any background images and videos, I think they should be allowed to be widescreen for players using widescreen resolutions.
Topic Starter
qlum
actually if people where able to make widescreen native storyboard images it would be a great addition. as far as I know the majority of the displays are widescreen nowadays.
but I shouldn't have put storyboard in this topic
anonymous_old
Although my monitor is 16:10, I prefer playing osu! at 4:3.

Although I would like to see those black bars removed for non-gameplay sections (e.g. multiplayer, osu!direct) while widescreen, I don't think gameplay needs the same treatment.
Guy-kun
Agree with strager,
1)it'd be too much of a fuss to start allowing widescreen videos and images, gameplay isn't really affected by the image being centered, I quite like it like that, and SBs are scaled and you can get them fullscreen on widescreen
2)also as strager said, the black bars in muliplayer and direct and horrible, not fitting i with the menu and song select, would be great if they went...
Topic Starter
qlum
Revamped my 2 year old post because it is still relevant today, even more relevant than it was 2 years ago.
peppy
I almost added this along with the taiko widescreen changes, but there are a few things I need to account for first. Do expect in the near future.
Topic Starter
qlum
Nice, it not being included there was actually the reason I started bumping it again.
TheVileOne
Added?
theowest
Yes.

Background images are now at a maximum of 1366x768 pixels for 16:9 and 1024x768 pixels for 4:3.
The video's maximum dimensions are 854x480 for the 16:9 widescreen format and 800x600 for the 4:3 format.

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria