forum

web skin database

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +14
Topic Starter
Wojtek
I think it would be nice idea to have skin database on website, just like we have beatmap database.

this means:
- browsing available skins with some nice previews
- sorting by date submitted, rating, download count, etc
- having skins approved maybe, or maybe just marked "complete" by their authors, so we can browse both complete and WIP skins.

currently getting skins is very hard, there is forum topic that lists all skins, but only in alphabetic order and without previews, so there is no way to find good ones without browsing them one by one.

some skins are available in downloader (i think skins of best quality supposed to be included there) but those are only old skins (i don't see new skins being added) and what even worse in many cases not in lastest version. also there is new preview in downloader or link to skin topic (which has preview).

when there is skin database in place, osu-skin-direct can be added to client for even better preview experience.
Marcin
Just go and create page, and ask skinners to add their skin into it? And then ask admin to stick your thread in skinning section = profit!
peppy is open for that things(at least was...).
jemhuntr
it's called the skin compendium. although yeah, I'd like to see preview there and that approval/completed thingo. I definitely support this.
Drafura

Wojtek wrote:

- having skins approved maybe, or maybe just marked "complete" by their authors, so we can browse both complete and WIP skins.
Would be great to add approved for osu! build xxxx or something like that I mean if a certain build add skinning elements a skin would turn back in the incomplete section.

Would be cool if you also can see if the skin support 16/9.
Archangel Tirael
Need create Skin Submitting System (SSS or 3S), SAT (Skinning Approval Team) and... SAT (Skinning Assistance Team). Also need add skins division into categories, as was done with the maps: Approved skins, light (pro) skins, WIP, Pending and Graveyarded skins.
In my opinion, it would be nice! As you know, I support.
And to create a full page with skins, need the headers support for skins, otherwise skins will not be stand out, and the page will look dull.
peppy
You are over-thinking the problem. Until a system is make for submitting skins, there is no need to think about a team.

In fact, discussing this further is pointless unless someone is offering to help make this happen.

Archangel Tirael: I know you mean well, but your posts are 99% redundant.
TheVileOne
Why do we need to approve skins? It seems unnecessary to me.

It seems unnecessary to have this idea. People have been getting along just fine with other hosting techniques, we don't need a central hosting site. Screenshots provide more than enough information on what the skin will look like and it should be the skinner's responsibility to properly document and display their skins.

No support.
jemhuntr
actually, that approval system is kinda optional imo. What's important is that we have an official skin database, making it easier to integrate it in-game and browse easily through skins with previews, comments, and votes.
Archangel Tirael

peppy wrote:

You are over-thinking the problem. Until a system is make for submitting skins, there is no need to think about a team.
In fact, discussing this further is pointless unless someone is offering to help make this happen.
Archangel Tirael: I know you mean well, but your posts are 99% redundant.
-=-=-=-
I know that. Thank you. For me it is a compliment. :)
In this case, I intentionally ironically exaggerated the content of my comment. Actually, to be honest, many of my comments should not be taken "straight." Do not see them in the form in which they are written, as I like to be ironic and often use Google Translate, which distorts the meaning of the written material.
...Still, there is a sense here somewhere...
Marcin

TheVileOne wrote:

Why do we need to approve skins? It seems unnecessary to me.

It seems unnecessary to have this idea. People have been getting along just fine with other hosting techniques, we don't need a central hosting site. Screenshots provide more than enough information on what the skin will look like and it should be the skinner's responsibility to properly document and display their skins.

No support.
But why don't you think about newbies, which want to find skins easily ?
Just because YOU know how to find them, doesn't mean that someone new will know which skin is good, and which not.
comentarinformal
Well, everything starts when someone takes the iniciative! I've been doing it for some days, and I think it'll be stable enough to work without a lot of problems.
Here we go!
http://osuskins.info/

It's got the most critical functions (the biggest one being, you can upload your skins :P ), and everybody can download other people's skins, authors can edit them, hide them (if you want make them invisible to others without deleting everything), remove them...

Now, it's on a beta stage, and it *will* have bugs. I'm not going to lie, it will. Some things may break, some may not work as they should, there might be server downtimes, and because of that I'd like all the uploaders to save a local copy of the skins they upload, and everybody to tell me about anything that is not working as intended. I'll love you for that ;3

For now, you'll have to register on the page to have an user. In the future, I'll change it so everybody logs in with their osu! account.
(It also has a different user color for donators; PM for more info.)
Let's see how it goes!
Topic Starter
Wojtek
looks good so far.
Marcin
I'd more enjoy having screenshot (resizeable) on that table in which we see description...
jemhuntr
Woah lovely

Edit: just made an account, had my email confirmed, and still can't log in. also, I can't see my secret code. All I see is an sc.png. I'm using opera mobile currently.

p/2036987